Thread: WSL on LSJC

Threaded View

WSL on LSJC

As I explained in a previous thread, LSJC literally refers to the opponent's arm leaving yours in the name and what sort of automatic behavior should result, i.e. 'thrust forward upon loss of contact'.

This has as much to do with a springing energy effect as a result of constant forward intent as it does with moving the entire body structure forward as a unit, as it is an effect of that. Yet the springing energy is for some reason denied by PB students here. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H
    LSJC has been roughly translated to "loss of contact, thrust forward without hesitation". People wrongly assume that the "loss of contact" bit means that we already have arm contact and when it is released we should thrust forward using some kind of springy energy. That is a common misconception in Wing Chun.
    You may need to go back and have a deeper discussion with PB, or admit that this is an element apparently missing in your understanding of WSL VT. Unless you think WSL was a victim of that same "misconception". When I suggested PB may have misinterpreted the meaning of LSJC, based on your words as his student, I got a response of OMFG!

Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOSpET3SJu4

In this video @8:10-10:40, WSL explains why the first section of SNT must be done slowly, saying that it requires "li shou zhi chong" (Mandarin for lat sau jik chung). "What is LSJC" he explains in three parts;

(My rough translation.)
    "When our arms are connected and his arm suddenly leaves to attack me this way, a lot of people do this (block the arm). This is the normal reaction. Afraid to get hit they'll use some action to protect themselves. If I don't protect myself when he attacks me I thrust into him. This sort of action violates that normal response.

"Also if his power is pressing on my arm, when released my arm will shoot up. So the elbow must be placed on the center line. (9:40) If he presses on my arm and then leaves, my arm will have a slight tendency to thrust forward. If not, with my elbow here (off center), when he leaves my arm it will go upward.

"So training slowly is to focus one's intent on forwarding toward the enemy. In VT this is 'chiu-ying'. That is at any time you are aiming at the enemy, not off to the side, or even further away, but always aimed at them. So when facing you must launch from your center line and attack the opponent's center. This is the most important requirement in VT."

-The first part explains constant forward force, as not the natural tendency.
    -The second part explains the springing energy effect it has upon loss of contact with proper elbow position.
    -The third part explains how to develop it in form and apply it in fighting.

To other non-WSLVT practitioners, this is training to develop an automatic mindless response, a result of constant forward force, not to be confused with sensing and responding to the opponent's energy, or even looking to contact in the first place.

If the PB guys are applying proper forward force they'll get this springing effect. If this effect is not happening for them, something is wrong with forwarding energy. Just offering forth the suggestion, from WSL, for possible advancement. Do with it what you will.
    Last edited by LFJ; 08-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.