Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: WSL on LSJC

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    By sandwich throwing do you mean excessive criticisms and pedantic ramblings?
    Yes and that would be just the tip of the ice berg

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Yes and that would be just the tip of the ice berg
    I understand people's reservations. However I think people should just have the courage to put it out there. Even if the sandwiches are thrown, being hit in the face by an egg mayonnaise one is not as bad as you think it is!

There are a few people on here that even if you threw a concrete block between two bits of bread they still wouldn't get it!

I understand people's reservations. However I think people should just have the courage to put it out there. Even if the sandwiches are thrown, being hit in the face by an egg mayonnaise one is not as bad as you think it is!
    I tried a long time ago but had Terence Needlessposts always trying to make chi sao a confused mess. Without getting clear punching concept ideas it becomes confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    And there was me thinking this thread was finished.

No you are wrong. WSL said he taught EXACTLY what Yip Man taught him but due to his experiences in a more systematic way. I have it in writing.
    Oh you have it in writing! Do you know how silly your purity stance is? Even Yip Man's teachings changed over time and from person to person. Did Wong learn nothing for himself? Or after he left Yip Man? Your view is The guy whose motto was do not be a slave to the system was fixated on only teaching EXACTLY what he was taught and so was a slave to the system?

T-Ray, Kev and Graham,

I guess a forum and these threads are not a good place to develop a written piece amongst yourselves. Perhaps do it privately through emails, skype etc? I think you would have better luck producing a good document that is useful, particularly to yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    So,....you really believe this is true?
    I would be comfortable placing that bet. You'd be far more hard pressed to find another student he didn't teach it to than a number of those to whom he did. After all, even the guy PB recommends as the closest to his approach is on the video in the original post doing it along with WSL right there.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Are you not listening to yourself in this thread?

You said PB doesn't teach what WSL was teaching in the video. Then you want to also say PB teaches exactly the way WSL taught.

You can't have it both ways. What's the problem if PB changed teaching methodology? You prefer his method and it works.
    I think he's saying that the stuff WSL teaches on available video clips is mostly crap or an extreme (useless) simplification. Demo stuff, not real stuff.

Basing your knowledge of someones teaching on seminar footage does not give a clear picture of their true teaching methods.
    No, but the footage backs up the validity of the assertion that it was part of his teaching methodology by numerous students of his... except apparently, PB.

You can't have a whole slew of students saying he taught something, and have him on video actually teaching it, and then still maintain he never did because your teacher doesn't teach it, and he "teaches exactly what WSL taught him"...

When you are in a seminar situation, with a mixed group of people you dont know, (their previous knowledge, abilities etc, etc.) you are very limited in what you can actually convey of the system.
    You have to assume people attending have little or no understanding of the system, and give a simple taste of the underlying concepts from that standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    I think he's saying that the stuff WSL teaches on available video clips is mostly crap or an extreme (useless) simplification. Demo stuff, not real stuff.
    Then that begs the question why WSL would not find a more simple and honest way of conveying the message of what VT is about without making up some silly springing energy "BS". Why would he want to misrepresent his system like that?

But besides, outside of seminars, he taught this to his regular students (except apparently PB). So why was he teaching made up BS to all his other students?

T-Ray, Kev and Graham,

I guess a forum and these threads are not a good place to develop a written piece amongst yourselves. Perhaps do it privately through emails, skype etc? I think you would have better luck producing a good document that is useful, particularly to yourselves.
    Why would his students create a document when PB has produced a book?

I would be comfortable placing that bet. You'd be far more hard pressed to find another student he didn't teach it to than a number of those to whom he did. After all, even the guy PB recommends as the closest to his approach is on the video in the original post doing it along with WSL right there.
    Clue: he's there doing it at a seminar

Then that begs the question why WSL would not find a more simple and honest way of conveying the message of what VT is about without making up some silly springing energy "BS". Why would he want to misrepresent his system like that?
    Lol, this is wing chun. Yip man taught either simplified basics or complete $hit to people he didn't know and/or didn't trust. WSL is doing exactly the same as his teacher did. Both of them are probably laughing in their graves at the comedy mess they left behind while happy in the knowledge that they also left the real thing to the right people. Common practice in Chinese MA

But besides, outside of seminars, he taught this to his regular students (except apparently PB). So why was he teaching made up BS to all his other students?
    Which regular students did he teach this to? I think you know the explanation for this teaching from Graham et al
    Last edited by guy b.; 08-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Clue: he's there doing it at a seminar
    Clue: he's a regular student who like numerous others was taught this idea by WSL.

even the guy PB recommends as the closest to his approach is on the video in the original post doing it along with WSL right there.
    He's doing it at a seminar with WSL, I can only assume for reasons Graham H previously discussed.