Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people here do mantis?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Lol, So I've been dead for the last 3 years, haha.
    Hah! Me too
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Pete,
    I am 55 years old with bad knees, a bad shoulder, bad lower discs in my spine, diabetes and I have had quadruple heart bypass surgery. However, I am still able to practice Qixing Tanglangquan and Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan. My moves may not be as "pretty" as they were ten years ago, but I still have the confidence that I can defend myself with my art.

Good luck in your training! I suggest you give mantis boxing at least three to five years before dabbling in or switching to another art. This should give you sufficient time to develop very good hand skills.
    hey thanks for the advice it's good to hear you can still train after all those problems i was only thinking of taekwondo because my legs seem better than my hands at the moment!

sorry to the 3 of you guys over 50 too, i just had my birthday last weekend so i'm feeling really old! haha
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    nice! theres quite a few on here with alot of experience i hope to learn abit of taekwondo in the future once i get my flexibility up

i'm really liking mantis so far, most of the applications are pretty savage! lol looks like i'll be sticking with it for life, wish i had started earlier though now im 25...my lifes half over!
    haha i think that's what all of the veterans at my school say when we start studying TCPM after having practiced other arts for many years.. we wished we had started training the mantis style much sooner! We have guys from all sorts of styles - taekwondo, MMA, jujitsu, karate, aikido, muay thai etc and all of us prefer the mantis system to anything we've done before. And yes you're right, from the get go in the mantis system we're taught very vicious applications that focus on grabbing, breaking elbows and wrists, twisting necks, and striking the eyes and throat. And don't feel too bad, 25 is still a great age to start. You're mature enough to stick with it.

A lot of the mantis system's kicks are identical to those used in taekwondo, such as the front, roundhouse, side, spinning hook, and tornado kicks. Some of them are delivered in a slightly different way however. Even today I still find my grandmaster trying to correct me from the habits of more than 10 years of taekwondo training.. also the taekwondo forms are much more linear and broken than mantis forms which tend to be more flowing. Honestly, I think if you're attending the right school you will get everything you want out of TCPM, though it may be wise to try out other systems such as muay thai and BJJ to get well rounded training.

I agree with mooying mantis though, stick with TCPM and try not to absorb other arts till you've been studying this one for at least a few years.
    So I'm unlucky today.. two will die for the price of one!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    lol looks like i'll be sticking with it for life, wish i had started earlier though now im 25...my lifes half over!
    Hey, I turned 50 in May and my life is anything BUT over! Careful what you consider old...you'll get there before you know it.

Although I've been involved with martial arts since I was 10, I took up Mantis at 21, and didn't begin my focus art, CLF, 'til I was 30. Sure, the earlier experience helped me, but all we have is the present. Enjoy your training and don't worry about numbers.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-24-2013 at 01:09 PM.

waaa

went off the radar for abit... wheres my thread gone?!!

edit: ok thanks for making it reappear lol
    Last edited by Pete; 09-27-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forum magician

Tainan Mantis Book

Tainan, If you stop eating and sleeping you can finish quicker and we will be able to read your book that much sooner. I will be anxiously awaiting your completion. Please keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by mantiskickboxer View Post
    And don't feel too bad, 25 is still a great age to start. You're mature enough to stick with it.

I agree with mooying mantis though, stick with TCPM and try not to absorb other arts till you've been studying this one for at least a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hey, I turned 50 in May and my life is anything BUT over! Careful what you consider old...you'll get there before you know it.

Enjoy your training and don't worry about numbers.
    thanks guys! been busy looking for a job last few weeks so i can continue training

can you read chinese? i you walk down nan da jie theres signs for english school posted up everywhere, they are all desperate for teachers

Blog Entries
    If you don't think old, you are always young.

Last week when I walked on the beach with my dog, I saw a guy was training on the beach. I walked toward him and asked if he wants to be my training/wrestling/sparring partner. We were supposed to meet on Monday 6pm in the park. About 2pm, he called me and told me that he is a Karate instructor. If I want to train with him. I would have to pay for his instruction time. At my Medicare age, I'm 15 years older than him. If he still think that I'm just a young guy and looking for some Karate instruction, I must still have my young look. That made me feel really good.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-27-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    About 2pm, he called me and told me that he is a Karate instructor. If I want to train with him. I would have to pay for his instruction time. At my Medicare age, I'm 15 years older than him. If he still think that I'm just a young guy and looking for some Karate instructor, I must still have my young look. That made me feel really good.
    Wow. Some people are just all about the money. He missed out on an opportunity.

Funny thing happened to me when I took my 85 year old mom to the hospital today.

The two nurses looked at me for a while after I told them my mom's age. Finally they asked, "Oh, are you the youngest?"

Told them I was the oldest, 53. That went back and forth for a while and they had a hard time believing me. They thought I was in my 30's. Told them it must be the American rice or something.

Last month some cutie chick at work asked if I had any kids.

I guess that must be woman-talk for "are you single?", without actually asking directly.

I said, Yeah, blah blah blah... in their 20's blah blah...

She was like, "Wtf, did you have them when you were 10 years old???"

Cracked me up.

Told her it must be the Asian genes, but that she should have been able to tell since she was Korean.

My teacher passed away at 59. I told my students that I don't intend for that to be me.

If you don't think old, you are always young.

Last week when I walked on the beach with my dog, I saw a guy was training on the beach. I walked toward him and asked if he wants to be my training/wrestling/sparring partner. We were supposed to meet on Monday 6pm in the park. About 2pm, he called me and told me that he is a Karate instructor. If I want to train with him. I would have to pay for his instruction time. At my Medicare age, I'm 15 years older than him. If he still think that I'm just a young guy and looking for some Karate instruction, I must still have my young look. That made me feel really good.
    YKW,

It sounds like he never intended to train with you, but probably thought he simply roped in a new student at the beach. Either that, or maybe he wasn't confident enough that he could hold his own if he trained with you(?).

I always get mistaken for about 15 or more years younger than I am. Then again, people mistook me for a minor when I was in my early 30s. It's a good feeling.

Blog Entries
    YKW,

It sounds like he never intended to train with you, but probably thought he simply roped in a new student at the beach. Either that, or maybe he wasn't confident enough that he could hold his own if he trained with you(?).

I always get mistaken for about 15 or more years younger than I am. Then again, people mistook me for a minor when I was in my early 30s. It's a good feeling.
    I didn't say who trains with whom but just be a training/wrestling/sparring partner. I made it clear to him that he could pick up a technique that he wants to train and I would be his dummy. I then pick up a technique that I like to train and he would be my dummy. After we have known each other better and build some trust between us, we could start some wrestling and even sparring after that.

This just remind me when I was young, I tried to build up a fighting club. I had found 3 guys. One day we visited the 4th guy, the guy kept saying, "What do you want from me?" I said, "We don't want anything from you. We just invite you to join in our fighting club."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

We just invite you to join in our fighting club."
    You just broke the first two rules of Fight Club.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

YKW,
    I'm 39 and a girl invited me last week to her "Yoga Hoes, Workout Bros" college party. I thought it was pretty funny. Granted I do like seeing hot college girls in yoga pants and sports bras, but there's no way in h3ll I'd go.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    can you read chinese? i you walk down nan da jie theres signs for english school posted up everywhere, they are all desperate for teachers
    i can't read or speak chinese...i can sometimes understand a few (spoken) words

been observing a few classes in kai fa qu and i'm hoping they will take me...didn't realize next week was a festival until today so might not hear back for abit

hows it going downtown ?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    but there's no way in h3ll I'd go.
    waaa why? lol
    Last edited by Pete; 09-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.