Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people here do mantis?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Do either one of you guys know him? I met him in the 1st and the 2nd 济南Jinan tournament.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5711/mantismaster.jpg
    the link is a 404 for me?

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    Yes I am in Yantai, we went to the Aug 8th competition at Yantai Uni, but not the Kai Fa Qu one.

I think I know who your shifu is, does he learn from Sun De?
    Sun De sounds familiar... i know his face, met him and his son a few times but i'm not 100%

i asked my teacher today, he's heard of your shifu, said he's one of the higher teachers in yantai

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Hi! Welcome!
    hey! thanks
    I guess we are who we are

I'm 7 Star Praying Mantis under Sifu Henry Chung.

The Mantis I studied was a mixture of 8 Step and 7 Star, learned in Taiwan under the late Peng Han-Ping. Overall, I trained Mantis (under his tutelage and apart from) for 10 years.

Although I began studying CLF 20 years ago, and eventually switched completely over, I still retain skills of Mantis, such as Gou-Lou-Cai shou, Kao, etc. Mantis still holds a big place in my heart, and even though I no longer practice it as a style, I will keep those aspects from it that have served me well.

No one here actually practices praying mantis kung fu. We're actually entomologists. But, we really do like kung fu movies and the wearing of funny pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sun De sounds familiar... i know his face, met him and his son a few times but i'm not 100%
    Sun De 孫 德 & Sun Deyao 孙 德 蕘 are two different people. Sun De teaches Taiji Tanglangquan. Sun Deyao teaches Hao family Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Sun De 孫 德 & Sun Deyao 孙 德 蕘 are two different people. Sun De teaches Taiji Tanglangquan. Sun Deyao teaches Hao family Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan.

I asked today, it sounded familiar because it is Sun De also makes sense why i was told taiji mantis

edit: i guess it's good some of you know the name too even if i didn't!

soo i guess the next question is - how long have you guys trained for? i already see 2 people have been going at it for a few decades!

i've only been training mantis maybe 3 months now so i pretty much have no skill

step by step and all that

so what have you learnt so far?

i was here for 6 months last year but i mainly did tai chi and got the basics of 'kung fu'... the 5 stances and a basic (shaolin?) form that goes with them.

about 3 months before i left i started learning my first mantis form and i've finished it off since coming back...but i'm still really bad at it! lol

i've also started learning my second form, but only a few actions in so far

Warm greetings to all my fellow mantis fighters of all styles! Taiji Tanglangquan of Chiu Chuk Kai lineage reporting.. So glad to be posting here let's make this discussion forum the best one on the board!
    So I'm unlucky today.. two will die for the price of one!

Quote Originally Posted by mantiskickboxer View Post
    Warm greetings to all my fellow mantis fighters of all styles! Taiji Tanglangquan of Chiu Chuk Kai lineage reporting.. So glad to be posting here let's make this discussion forum the best one on the board!
    hey hey welcome! where are you from? how long have you been training?

hey hey welcome! where are you from? how long have you been training?
    hey pete,

I'm from Toronto and have been training in tai mantis for about 8 or 9 years. I've been practicing martial arts for almost 20.. including krav maga, taekwondo, jujitsu, and ninjutsu. I've also studied bits and pieces of other arts through friends and friendly sparring sessions. But tai mantis is by far my favorite.

How are you enjoying the TCPM style so far? Stick with it and practice it as much as you can, by the time you get to the intermediate and advanced stages you will develop a very high level of fighting ability.
    So I'm unlucky today.. two will die for the price of one!

nice! theres quite a few on here with alot of experience i hope to learn abit of taekwondo in the future once i get my flexibility up

i'm really liking mantis so far, most of the applications are pretty savage! lol looks like i'll be sticking with it for life, wish i had started earlier though now im 25...my lifes half over!

nice! theres quite a few on here with alot of experience i hope to learn abit of taekwondo in the future once i get my flexibility up

i'm really liking mantis so far, most of the applications are pretty savage! lol looks like i'll be sticking with it for life, wish i had started earlier though now im 25...my lifes half over!
    Pete,
    I have been training martial arts for about 45 years. A mix of Japanese, Korean, Philippine and Chinese arts. I started Monkey boxing in 1976 and Mantis boxing in 1984.

Of all the arts that I have studied, I believe monkey boxing and mantis boxing are the most effective for fighting. Mantis has the added benefit of being an art that can be still practiced in one's twilight years, while monkey boxing is excellent for younger practitioners.

I am 55 years old with bad knees, a bad shoulder, bad lower discs in my spine, diabetes and I have had quadruple heart bypass surgery. However, I am still able to practice Qixing Tanglangquan and Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan. My moves may not be as "pretty" as they were ten years ago, but I still have the confidence that I can defend myself with my art.

Good luck in your training! I suggest you give mantis boxing at least three to five years before dabbling in or switching to another art. This should give you sufficient time to develop very good hand skills.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

lol looks like i'll be sticking with it for life, wish i had started earlier though now im 25...my lifes half over!
    Lol, So I've been dead for the last 3 years, haha.