Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many people here do mantis?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    You just broke the first two rules of Fight Club.
    May be I should call it "sparring club" and not "fighting club". In that club, we had,

- MT guy,
    - Hapkido guy,
    - TKD guy,
    - Okinawa Karate guy,
    - Kung Fu guy.

There were no MMA guys back then.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Zhang Liao and Zi Long

Quote Originally Posted by Biyn Jiu View Post
    Tainan, If you stop eating and sleeping you can finish quicker and we will be able to read your book that much sooner. I will be anxiously awaiting your completion. Please keep us updated.
    I am on book four of san guo yan yi about 1800 pages into it so far. A Chinese novel from the early Ming. Praying Mantis references two characters that are in this book.

After having read this book I will probably come to the conclusion that Praying Mantis reference to these two characters, Zhang Liao and Zi Long, were not from San Guo Yan Yi but were from some-now obscure-play of the mid-Ming dynasty.

I have a collection of over 4,000 pages of plays from late Yuan to early-mid Ming with the scripts of all the remaining plays. All written in a combination of classical -songs and poems- and vernacular Chinese-dialogue.

I still will have to comb through this to find Zhang Liao and Zi Long.

Plum Blossom Mantis Boxing

Our lineage is as follows.

Wang Lang
    Li Bing Xiao
    Zhao Zhu
    Liang Xue Xiang
    Jiang Hua Long
    Wang Zhen Gao
    Wang Xi Shan
    Wang Bai Li ( my sifu )
    Me

hey welcome

now i will sound harsh but is lineage really that important?
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    hey welcome

now i will sound harsh but is lineage really that important?
    It just depends on your goals.

If you want to be able to defend yourself. Nope!

If you want to win forms tournaments or cage matches. Nope!

If you want to represent your particular family's lineage as an instructor. Maybe!

Lineage is kind of a funny thing. It means very little outside of your own particular family. It may even mean little outside of your own school.

When someone walks into most schools, they will be judged more on ability than lineage. I know several people with impeccable lineage who can't fight worth a ****. I also know several people with questionable or no lineage who are awesome fighters and/or teachers.

So, lineage only means as much as the value you and your immediate peers place upon it.

Let me tell you a little "secret" which most people who have been around a while already know. Most Chinese instructors only pretend to respect others of their own family outside their own school. They bicker within their own family and believe that only they have the true teachings. In fact, I can't think of one famous Chinese shifu that I have not heard dirt about by another famous Chinese shifu.

Is it any wonder that non-Asians often act so contentious?
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 10-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Actually, I think lineage is important. Bagchun mentioned in his lineage that he comes through Jiang Hua Long. That means technique wise I probably have more in common with him than I do a Seven Star person etc.

Also from looking at lineage you can see if somebodys teacher is good or not, or their teachers teacher.

The problem is when lineage becomes more important than skill.........

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    It just depends on your goals.

If you want to be able to defend yourself. Nope!

If you want to win forms tournaments or cage matches. Nope!

If you want to represent your particular family's lineage as an instructor. Maybe!

Lineage is kind of a funny thing. It means very little outside of your own particular family. It may even mean little outside of your own school.

When someone walks into most schools, they will be judged more on ability than lineage. I know several people with impeccable lineage who can't fight worth a ****. I also know several people with questionable or no lineage who are awesome fighters and/or teachers.

So, lineage only means as much as the value you and your immediate peers place upon it.
    boom! i think you read my mind

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post

Also from looking at lineage you can see if somebodys teacher is good or not, or their teachers teacher.

The problem is when lineage becomes more important than skill.........
    that's the thing i don't like about it to me it only matters if i think my teacher is good, i don't care about his teacher or teachers teacher...

if his teacher was bad maybe he learned more from it

definitely agree with your last point though
    Last edited by Pete; 10-07-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Talking amazing mantis kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RU-2eIbKU

haha i guess this is southern mantis but oh well

what do you guys think? couldn't stop laughing MANTIS BEAK! FUH FUH FUH FUH!