Thread: Guns!

Hybrid View

Guns!

Well... it happened again.

Ohio student accidentally shot by teacher at gun safety class

A gun instructor in central Ohio accidentally shot a student in the arm during a gun safety class, according to authorities.

Michael Piemonte, 26, was shot on Saturday after the handgun held by instructor Terry Dunlap, 73, discharged during a class in Carroll, according to a Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Piemonte was hit in the right arm, between his elbow and his arm pit, he said during an interview on Tuesday. He was taken to a hospital by ambulance and released that evening.

Piemonte declined to elaborate on the incident and Dunlap was not immediately available to comment.

Piemonte was struck by a .38-calibre bullet fired from a .357-calibre five-shot revolver, according to the sheriff’s department report, which described the shooting as an accident.

Carroll is a village about 20 miles (32 kilometres) southeast of Columbus.

Ohio’s concealed carry law was amended in December to require residents to demonstrate competency with the weapon only once, rather than each time their concealed carry permit expires.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13741063/

Gotta love the irony here.

I'm all for guns, but people really need to step up their game here. This is beyond embarrassing. This is like the 10th story I've seen this year about people being shot at gun shows, gun rallies or gun safety classes.

Education and demonstrated competency = GOOD!

In Canada, I would like to have less restrictive open carry laws, but only with better education. A PAL doesn't really require that much. We can do better.

I have a hard time getting worked up about gun violence or killing that occurs to the south of me these days. Too much of it. It's their collective culture and if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I have a hard time getting worked up about gun violence or killing that occurs to the south of me these days. Too much of it. It's their collective culture and if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
    That's how it is, but there needs to be better education and training to go along with it; no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Am I the only one that noticed this instructor is 73? That might have something to do with it lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

i think we need to go back to the old days and all carry side arms visibly. a lot more respect would go around and a lot more stupid people would end up gone.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You can open carry in most of the US.

Anyways... there is this:

Thirty-six years earlier, Dunlap, then a Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant, fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air to create a "scary effect" for his daughter at a "haunted hayride," according to the Dispatch. The bullet ricocheted and hit 14-year-old Cathy Hessler in the leg, the newspaper said.
    Same guy. Some people have pretty low standards when it comes to gun safety.

All that being said... I agree with part of what Lucas said. I would like to see open carry in Canada. Guns aren't going anywhere and they will continue to be accessible. I'm all for quality and education.