Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns!

Guns!

Well... it happened again.

Ohio student accidentally shot by teacher at gun safety class

A gun instructor in central Ohio accidentally shot a student in the arm during a gun safety class, according to authorities.

Michael Piemonte, 26, was shot on Saturday after the handgun held by instructor Terry Dunlap, 73, discharged during a class in Carroll, according to a Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Piemonte was hit in the right arm, between his elbow and his arm pit, he said during an interview on Tuesday. He was taken to a hospital by ambulance and released that evening.

Piemonte declined to elaborate on the incident and Dunlap was not immediately available to comment.

Piemonte was struck by a .38-calibre bullet fired from a .357-calibre five-shot revolver, according to the sheriff’s department report, which described the shooting as an accident.

Carroll is a village about 20 miles (32 kilometres) southeast of Columbus.

Ohio’s concealed carry law was amended in December to require residents to demonstrate competency with the weapon only once, rather than each time their concealed carry permit expires.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13741063/

Gotta love the irony here.

I'm all for guns, but people really need to step up their game here. This is beyond embarrassing. This is like the 10th story I've seen this year about people being shot at gun shows, gun rallies or gun safety classes.

Education and demonstrated competency = GOOD!

In Canada, I would like to have less restrictive open carry laws, but only with better education. A PAL doesn't really require that much. We can do better.

I have a hard time getting worked up about gun violence or killing that occurs to the south of me these days. Too much of it. It's their collective culture and if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I have a hard time getting worked up about gun violence or killing that occurs to the south of me these days. Too much of it. It's their collective culture and if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
    That's how it is, but there needs to be better education and training to go along with it; no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Am I the only one that noticed this instructor is 73? That might have something to do with it lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

i think we need to go back to the old days and all carry side arms visibly. a lot more respect would go around and a lot more stupid people would end up gone.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You can open carry in most of the US.

Anyways... there is this:

Thirty-six years earlier, Dunlap, then a Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant, fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air to create a "scary effect" for his daughter at a "haunted hayride," according to the Dispatch. The bullet ricocheted and hit 14-year-old Cathy Hessler in the leg, the newspaper said.
    Same guy. Some people have pretty low standards when it comes to gun safety.

All that being said... I agree with part of what Lucas said. I would like to see open carry in Canada. Guns aren't going anywhere and they will continue to be accessible. I'm all for quality and education.

Yep, there are some careless folks out there. Like this guy for instance... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-jTCNZSmY

I'm all for open carry and for education. Due to the wild animals that roam our property such as mountain lion, boar, bear, coyote and stray dogs I almost always open carry a .40 caliber and sometimes like the other day I have a shotgun with me, especially when I'm outside our fence and walking in our creek which is un-fenced. A few days ago it may have saved my life. Here's a true story with a police report to prove it. I'm innocent of course for two reasons. One is that in this county there is a leash law which requires owners to secure their dogs on their own property, and two, I was absolutely defending myself. So what happened was 4 really large and scary pit bull dogs ran me down in our creek. I shot all of them but let me tell you that it happened so fast, unbelievably fast, that I consider myself very fortunate to still be here. Normally I can scare dogs off by firing a round into the ground and they run like hell, but these dogs just continued toward me at full speed. It was just about the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life because I'm a total animal lover. It's true that I hunt but that's for food and I use almost all of the animal. A dog however, well that's just different somehow. I'm just thankful we still have high power guns to cary but it may not be much longer if some folks have their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Anyways... there is this:

Same guy. Some people have pretty low standards when it comes to gun safety.

All that being said... I agree with part of what Lucas said. I would like to see open carry in Canada. Guns aren't going anywhere and they will continue to be accessible. I'm all for quality and education.
    I always pondered about something like this happening when a gun is fired in to the air. I mean, I guess it's a freak chance but... wow..
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    I always pondered about something like this happening when a gun is fired in to the air. I mean, I guess it's a freak chance but... wow..
    There was at least one instance I heard of in the news where someone was killed by a stray shot that someone shot up into the air celebrating the New Year. Apparently, the bullet came back downwards quite a distance away. I've always felt that shooting a gun in celebration is stupid; however, I had thought that if a bullet is fired straight (or almost straight) up, it would lose its velocity going up and simply fall back to earth...still dangerous as a falling object, but not as deadly. I've since learned that theory is very wrong. It arcs back down with very lethal velocity.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Well, the south and west anyway. Not so much in the north. I used to open carry in New Orleans, in NY I wouldn't attempt it...even if I could get a permit here...

Still, not too many ppl open carry in the south anyway..but a lot of ppl keep one in the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    There was at least one instance I heard of in the news where someone was killed by a stray shot that someone shot up into the air celebrating the New Year. Apparently, the bullet came back downwards quite a distance away. I've always felt that shooting a gun in celebration is stupid; however, I had thought that if a bullet is fired straight (or almost straight) up, it would lose its velocity going up and simply fall back to earth...still dangerous as a falling object, but not as deadly. I've since learned that theory is very wrong. It arcs back down with very lethal velocity.
    I've heard of it a couple times from celebrations with military parades in "third world" countries. It seems like a pretty stupid idea to do that with live ammo, but ppl do stupid things...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Well, firing it in the air and having it come down elsewhere is an issue all on it's own, but to fire in the air and actually hit something that could cause a ricochet that could harm somebody anywhere near you.... well that simply means the man is careless, retarded, or both. It really is an epic **** up that happened to end not so bad. In both cases, he was very VERY lucky. Location of the wound is pretty much what saved his ass in both cases.

With the firing in the air thing, the type of bullet and the trajectory matter. If you fire a handgun straight up in the air so that the bullet goes straight enough that it stops and falls back rather than making more of an arc, the bullet itself will not come down point first, it will tumble. So basically it would be like dropping a bullet by hand at whatever height you need to achieve terminal velocity. It may break the skin, but by no means would it be able to enter your skull.

Now shooting at like a 50 degree angle, that can be dangerous. it will still be spinning and point first when it strikes. And that could very well do real damage. But even then, not always. There are a handful of factors to consider.

I'm lucky to have had the influence I had when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to really have toy guns. Not because anyone hated guns, but because they were taken seriously. I was shooting the 22 by like 5 or 6 and was around then a lot sooner. Stripped my first rifle when I was about 8. I remember my grandfather had a ton of rules. They have served me well. I wouldn't even point a gun at a person even if I had just cleared the tube and was literally looking down the barrel. It's just a no no.

Now that I'm older and have handled firearms around people who had different training, I find myself amazed at how careless they can be. Those early lessons have even been used in many areas of my life. It's about respect in general. I have done a ton of things many would find crazy, but they are always well thought out and carefully calculated risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Ha, I didn't read this before I wrote the above. But yeah. There are considerations here.

But I agree, firing in the air for any reason shows a lack of respect and discipline. It's ametuer shit, straight up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Well, the south and west anyway. Not so much in the north. I used to open carry in New Orleans, in NY I wouldn't attempt it...even if I could get a permit here...

Still, not too many ppl open carry in the south anyway..but a lot of ppl keep one in the truck.
    NY has some of the strictest gun laws in the US. To walk down broadway with an AR on your back would quite likely end in a serious display of tactical aggression. It's not like Oregon where the cops pull you over and ask if they can see a permit and inspect the weapon and then respect your decision if you say no.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    It was just about the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life because I'm a total animal lover. It's true that I hunt but that's for food and I use almost all of the animal. A dog however, well that's just different somehow. I'm just thankful we still have high power guns to cary but it may not be much longer if some folks have their way.
    That sucks! It's pretty amazing you were able to get them all in time. How close did they get? I don't think I would lose much sleep over that. You do what you have to do. I like dogs, but when one is running me down aggressively, I'm not going to give it the benefit of doubt.