Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long tassel sword

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Irina Akulenko - "Justice" from "Tarot - Fantasy Bellydance"

So the tassels are on her hips and not the sword. So what?
    You win!

When I used to practice jian/gim, I also took off the tassel, though when I trained northern style in Taiwan I initially learned it with the tassel.

So am I to take it every sword thread is to feature sword hotties?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Bad tassel, good tassel

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its okay, i took the initiative to put the words in your mouth for you.
    Lucas, please don't stick anything in my mouth. Ever. Even if I'm choking on my nacho sauce, just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    So am I to take it every sword thread is to feature sword hotties?
    Hmmm, I never thought about that, but as long ast they are relevant, that's a pretty good idea.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We have seen people who trained sword with tassel at the end of the sword. When you put tassel at the spear head, it can be used to confuse your opponent's eyes, and also stop blood from coming down to your spear pole.

When you put tassel at the end of your sword, it can only confuse your own eyes.
    I think the ChangSui (longtassel) is a superior weapon. You are correct it is very hard to use, and certainly not for the beginner because it will only work against you, but it has a large advantage that is worth training.

When you swing a long handled sword it is very powerful because of leverage. One hand near the guard, the other on the pommel. However it is large and difficult to wield.

A short handled sword on the other hand is very flexible, very fast to wield, but weak at cutting.

The ChangSuiJian (long tassel sword) combines all weapon attributes. It is soft and hard, long and short. How?

You are supposed to have one hand on the end of the tassel, one hand on the sword.

This way when you want to move it fast you let go (throw the tassel at the eyes) and use it like a short sword. But when you cut, you use the tassel like a handle. Because it is soft you get a whip like action that makes cutting with a short sword much more powerful even than with a long sword. It is like having a handle that is as long as a staff. The whip action is very powerful. Anyone have a jian at hand, try it now! You will see what I mean. (As in, pull the tassel back while swinging the sword forward, it will move very suddenly and powerfully, but it is hard to control. It is best to have one finger touching the blade along its flat, this way you know the orientation of the blade so you can cut well, if you do not do this the whip action can turn the sword in your hand and make you hit your target with the flat which is useless).

We often have blades on the end of staffs, think of this as a blade on the end of a piece of rope!

During battle it is common to tie the sword to your wrist, most swords will have a tassel for this purpose. The Long tassel sword is a special evolution.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 08-14-2013 at 08:43 PM.

thats pretty freakin cool
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Tassel on weapons

The tassel is usually intended to balance the yin and yang of the weapon or the spiritual aspect of the weapon..the flying dart having a tassel is not a help to stabilizing the weapon in fact it proves to be a hinderance..i have seen ribbons and tassels on firearms just for the purpose of balancing the yin and yang

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I had heard that the tassels had wires within them, making them a weapon as well.
    Flags and tassel serve as a lanyard. Wrap it around your wrist, so even if your tendons are sliced, you still retain your weapon.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.