Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't bother to read this

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Those aren't VT options. Typical attempt to assign basic chi sao to combat.
    Coming from the man whose video examples are chi sao. And the one video, that kung fu quest one, that has "light" sparring that young man is trying to fight with chi sao as well.

The "redirection" in chi sao is for developmental to learn how to re-face with a balanced structure(if one trains that way). The application for when there is no arm contact is a "balanced" response to an opponent when you F up. Your chi sao partner is simply trying to force you to turn through contact. In a real situation it might be loss of balance, good footwork from the opponent, a nice solid hit, etc. Like I've tried to explain before, proper chum kiu rotation "sinks" the bridge with or without contact and works off of opposing forces. To know if one is truly doing it balanced without contact, one must "test" it with contact.

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Coming from the man whose video examples are chi sao. And the one video, that kung fu quest one, that has "light" sparring that young man is trying to fight with chi sao as well.

The "redirection" in chi sao is for developmental to learn how to re-face with a balanced structure(if one trains that way). The application for when there is no arm contact is a "balanced" response to an opponent when you F up. Your chi sao partner is simply trying to force you to turn through contact. In a real situation it might be loss of balance, good footwork from the opponent, a nice solid hit, etc. Like I've tried to explain before, proper chum kiu rotation "sinks" the bridge with or without contact and works off of opposing forces. To know if one is truly doing it balanced without contact, one must "test" it with contact.
    You're clueless, jaw dropping confused.

I probably shouldn't post a reply because my brain is fried after weeks of overtime, but here goes. WC1277 I appreciate your attempts to clarify, but I think we might have to agree to disagree. Although, definitions might be the main contention.

When I say shoulder line, I hope we both agree it is not the outside edge of their body, but rather just inside their shoulder joint. More like 1/2 way from the centerline to the outside edge of the body. This is the limit of my rotation during practice. If yours is further, then try this as an exercise: rotate less, only to this "inside" shoulder line and notice the adjustment in positioning that needs to be made to have a clear line of attack. I think a significant portion of the time that you feel you need to rotate will be alleviated with a better use of positioning (and by significant I mean as little as 1/5). As sifu has said "Positioning first, before your hands" and "Position is never static/stationary".

I don't agree that our system only does square center on 1st contact to "wedge". Because I am constantly targeting my opponent's center and I want to be able to attack with either hand equally. For me, this leads to square body facing their center (of mass). I also dislike the phrase "wedging" as, for me and others here, it implies a disposition to arm contact. I just want to target directly with a clear line of attack.

I also don't think "chiseling" necessarily means rotation. Chain punches with a stationary body and chain punches with a rotating body are both "chiseling motions". Or in chi sau if you have 2 hands on the outside (hi/low fook) this is "chiseling" but you are not rotating your body with one side and not the other.
    Anyway,
    IF you do rotate, it is in your best interest that it is accomplished/accompanied with an attack. And the "return to center" should be an attack as well. [But, be careful as sifu has warned us "If you are turning your feet with every motion, like windshield wipers, you are stuck in w.c. kindergarten"] In a previous thread you describe balanced rotation as our bread and butter. I think striking to the center is the bread and butter of wing chun. If these two statements can mean or reference the same thing to you, then we agree. If not, we should agree to disagree. No biggie.
    I do strongly agree with you in a balanced body approach to an attack. The body must back up and power what the hands are doing (Always).

The dots I am trying to connect are my center, thru a unified body, into the center of my opponent (no matter which way they are facing). Chase the center, not the hands. My hands do stay on my center, but I am trying to maintain a targeting of my opponents center. I want all of my motions to affect his center of gravity. I want to bring him into my strike or plant him in the ground while I strike. If I am not facing him, that process is slowed down. Maybe just a little, but maybe a lot. I'm a slow dude anyway so no sense in making things worse.

me go sleep now.
    cheers,
    -e

Quote Originally Posted by roache View Post
    I probably shouldn't post a reply because my brain is fried after weeks of overtime, but here goes. WC1277 I appreciate your attempts to clarify, but I think we might have to agree to disagree. Although, definitions might be the main contention.

When I say shoulder line, I hope we both agree it is not the outside edge of their body, but rather just inside their shoulder joint. More like 1/2 way from the centerline to the outside edge of the body. This is the limit of my rotation during practice. If yours is further, then try this as an exercise: rotate less, only to this "inside" shoulder line and notice the adjustment in positioning that needs to be made to have a clear line of attack. I think a significant portion of the time that you feel you need to rotate will be alleviated with a better use of positioning (and by significant I mean as little as 1/5). As sifu has said "Positioning first, before your hands" and "Position is never static/stationary".

I don't agree that our system only does square center on 1st contact to "wedge". Because I am constantly targeting my opponent's center and I want to be able to attack with either hand equally. For me, this leads to square body facing their center (of mass). I also dislike the phrase "wedging" as, for me and others here, it implies a disposition to arm contact. I just want to target directly with a clear line of attack.

I also don't think "chiseling" necessarily means rotation. Chain punches with a stationary body and chain punches with a rotating body are both "chiseling motions". Or in chi sau if you have 2 hands on the outside (hi/low fook) this is "chiseling" but you are not rotating your body with one side and not the other.
    Anyway,
    IF you do rotate, it is in your best interest that it is accomplished/accompanied with an attack. And the "return to center" should be an attack as well. [But, be careful as sifu has warned us "If you are turning your feet with every motion, like windshield wipers, you are stuck in w.c. kindergarten"] In a previous thread you describe balanced rotation as our bread and butter. I think striking to the center is the bread and butter of wing chun. If these two statements can mean or reference the same thing to you, then we agree. If not, we should agree to disagree. No biggie.
    I do strongly agree with you in a balanced body approach to an attack. The body must back up and power what the hands are doing (Always).

The dots I am trying to connect are my center, thru a unified body, into the center of my opponent (no matter which way they are facing). Chase the center, not the hands. My hands do stay on my center, but I am trying to maintain a targeting of my opponents center. I want all of my motions to affect his center of gravity. I want to bring him into my strike or plant him in the ground while I strike. If I am not facing him, that process is slowed down. Maybe just a little, but maybe a lot. I'm a slow dude anyway so no sense in making things worse.

me go sleep now.
    cheers,
    -e
    I appreciate your response and I think we will have to agree to disagree. And as you said it mostly has to do with definitions. I'm describing more big picture in my descriptions. Of course, there is always intention to maintain target and to make every motion a strike to center. I digress mainly with you in the wedging and chiseling actions and your intent to stay square shouldered facing "so as to use two hands equally". You should know that both hands always work together even despite rotation. And you should also know that you "hammer the nail" with your body when attacking. A phrase I'm sure you've heard before. Also, I think you're confusing "cutting" with chiseling to an extent. While they both are interrelated, when I speak of rotation I'm talking about where the force is to an extent that the cutting drives the rotation into the center. Not gentle chi sao play. As far as the moving the feet with every motion as WC kindergarden. I've heard that before too. But once again that applies to a kindler, gentler, chi sao, so to speak. Just like with the "cutting" there is a point to which movement becomes necessary. As far as, the big, big picture, all of this ultimately applies to a balanced rotation to reface and strike in a real situation when there is no arm contact and your opponent doesn't sit there stationary in front of you. If you don't believe me, you can ask him.

Regardless of anything Emmett, I appreciate you pointing out my choice of words with regards to "representation" and I'll make sure to do better in the future.

btw you do the morning classes, correct? I havn't seen you at the evening classes in ages.
    Last edited by WC1277; 08-16-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Crazy idea indeed Where did WC come up with the stupid idea of "using your opponent's force against him"? Close eyes - close mind.
    You're on the right track but not the way of redirecting crap. Keep eyes open and mind will follow.
    Eyes wide open, but what do you see? In this case, your mind did not follow. Where is my reference to "redirecting" as you've stated?

WC is more than three dimensional, an concept many had not fully understand, the rotation which WC1277 talk about had little to do in the sense of your definition of redirection. I think it's more like spinning the arms of the turnstile, if you don't get out the way, due to the rotation, the next set of arm will smack you.

WC is more than three dimensional, an concept many had not fully understand, the rotation which WC1277 talk about had little to do in the sense of your definition of redirection. I think it's more like spinning the arms of the turnstile, if you don't get out the way, due to the rotation, the next set of arm will smack you.
    Do you know of any videos that show your turnstile turning used successfully by wing chun people in full contact sparring or fighting?

Thumbs down Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Do you know of any videos that show your turnstile turning used successfully by wing chun people in full contact sparring or fighting?
    I'm not sure you are being an smart a$$ or just can't see the forest because of the tree.

Please go back to digest and at least try to comprehend of what WC1277 had posted.

Rotation/turning

This video was found by Hendrik ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8V4...=youtube_gdata

WC1277 - As in the video, you can initiate or be forced to rotate, either way, the counter rotational action can be used to launch an attack. Is this what you have in mind?

Blog Entries

WC1277 - As in the video, you can initiate or be forced to rotate, either way, the counter rotational action can be used to launch an attack. Is this what you have in mind?
    At 0.13 of the above clip, when your opponent uses his left arm to rotate your right arm, you can borrow his rotated force and throw a right hook punch at his head. Your opponent's left palm strike may not hurt you as much as your right hook can hurt him on his head.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

No, that is to the extreme, and while it could have it's place as a recovery, it's definitely not something desired.

While these clips below are chi sao, and the latter two not necessarily perfect, you may get a better idea on which I'm speaking:

http://youtu.be/sVl2JzhoDSQ

http://youtu.be/h2chOzs-2Xg

http://youtu.be/s5ey4JLuhQ8

That is not fighting or sparring.

I'm not sure you are being an smart a$$ or just can't see the forest because of the tree.

Please go back to digest and at least try to comprehend of what WC1277 had posted.
    I do to care about arm chair musings.

I am asking if you have a video of this being used in sparring or fighting. Do you or not?

I do to care about arm chair musings.

I am asking if you have a video of this being used in sparring or fighting. Do you or not?
    TC101, whatever you and wtxs are on about, I don't really care. But ffs man, if you don't like "analysis talk", so to speak, then it's simple. Don't participate. Most guys on this forum have a good enough understanding of basic ideas to at least discuss certain functions, concepts, principles, etc. Even if there's disagreement. You're constantly on about "show me the video". Everyone should just start referring to you as "Cuba"! How bout for once, you show us a video? Just paste a link of any clip YOU find acceptable. Then, at least, you have a position to stand on in this forum. Because right now you just sound like an overbearing conservative shouting NO by reflex.

btw just about every major successful fighting art uses rotation of some kind. Regardless of whether you obtain your beloved video or not, is it too far a stretch for you to understand the correlation?

Those aren't VT options. Typical attempt to assign basic chi sao to combat.
    Really? You're serious? Not only are those viable Wing Chun options taught in the dummy form, they are also options you see in just about any fighting method that features a clinch-like contact. Ever watch a UFC fight? You see these things all the time. One guy will overwhelm the other, one guy will rotate out of the clinch, or one guy will manage to step back and proceed with striking.