Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kill Zone 2 (Sha Po Lang 2: A Time for Consequences 殺破狼Ⅱ)

THR's review

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    One local friend I know saw this and wasn't impressed. And he's a solid Kung Fu flick critic, or he wouldn't have even seen this yet.
    Nevertheless, this is a fairly positive review....

'SPL 2: A Time for Consequences': Film Review
    1:45 PM PDT 6/10/2015 by Elizabeth Kerr

Courtesy of Bravos Pictures

The Bottom Line
    A tight, entertaining action flick

Venue
    Opens in Hong Kong June 18

Director
    Cheang Pou-soi

Cast
    Tony Jaa, Wu Jing, Zhang Jin, Simon Yam

Cheang Pou-soi follows up 'SPL' with a pan-Asian romp that features Thailand’s Tony Jaa and emerging mainland stars Wu Jing and Zhang Jin.

If there’s such a thing as a surgical thriller — literally, not figuratively — SPL 2: A Time for Consequences may be it. The more blatantly entertaining follow-up to Yip Wai-shun’s 2005 corrupt cop drama SPL (or Kill Zone) aims for a regional vibe that jumps from Hong Kong to Bangkok and unfolds in four languages. Far from being the convoluted mess it could have been, incoming director Cheang Pou-soi (Yip serves as a producer) crafts a tight, swiftly paced action yarn that ensures viewers won’t be pining for the presence of the first film’s stars, Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung.

The frantic energy and creative fight choreography in Consequences are the only returning elements from the first film, a sequel in name only; co-star Simon Yam (playing a different character) is the sole actor to return. But the “franchise” is in good hands with Cheang and action director Li Ching-chi, who are blessed with a top-drawer cast of martial-arts performers in breakout roles rounding out the cast. Wolf Warriors’ Wu Jing (looking like the hybrid clone of Nicholas Tse and Michael Wong), perpetual supporting player Zhang Jin (Rise of the Legend, The Grandmaster) and Ong Bak’s Tony Jaa (who gets to show off more of his talents than he did in Furious 7) are stellar additions who compel audiences to overlook narrative glitches. SPL 2: A Time for Consequences isn’t going to make anyone forget The Raid anytime soon (and it does try and recall that film), but it’s strong genre material that should earn solid box office returns in Asia-Pacific and in overseas markets where Asian action plays well.

The story that brings new meaning to “medical tourism” opens with terminally ill organ trafficking crime boss Hung Man-keung (Louis Koo at his least sexy) carrying out his business, little realizing there’s an undercover cop within his ranks. In a vague case of history repeating itself, Chan Kwok-wah (Yam) has placed Chan Chi-kit (Wu) so close to the thugs that Kit has developed a thug’s drug habit. Still, they’re close to a major arrest. At the same time, Hung is busy looking for a heart donor that’s a match for his extremely rare Bombay phenotype blood — and it looks like he may have to resort to taking his brother’s (Jun Kung). In traditional Hong Kong crime-thriller fashion, the major arrest goes south, a gunfight erupts, the gang gets away and Kit winds up in a Bangkok prison after his cover is compromised.

One of the prison guards is the desperate Chai (Jaa), who works at the prison because it’s his best chance at earning enough cash to find a bone marrow donor for his leukemia-afflicted daughter Sa (Unda Kunteera Thordchanng, the only female role of note). In the kind of coincidence that only happens in movies, a match has been located in Hong Kong, and it happens to be Kit. Of course, they can’t locate him because his phone was pitched into the harbor after the OK Corral. In another bit of movie magic the phone works just fine after being submerged for who knows how long in Hong Kong’s harbor.

Those are just a few of the narrative threads Cheang and co-writers Jill Leung Lai-yin and Wong Ying must weave together in between bone-crunching action and gasp-inducing fights. By the halfway point of the film there have been at least three significant set pieces, including the shootout at Hong Kong’s new cruise ship terminal (no shiny buildings escape target practice in Hong Kong) and a prison riot, complete with gloriously contrasting visuals — the former all stark, sterile glass and steel, the latter grimy, rusty, dank concrete. Things kick into even higher gear when the role of the prison’s corrupt warden, Ko (Zhang), is revealed. Ko is somehow indebted to Hung and uses the prison as a way station for the organs that are being trafficked. When Chan finally susses out Kit’s location and makes a trip to Thailand at the same time as Hung is prepping his brother for surgery, also in Thailand, all the pieces line up for a showdown (or three) for the ages.

That the ridiculous story somehow hangs together — and is easy to follow for the most part — is a testament to Cheang and editor David Richardson’s careful construction; production specs are also strong across the board. Ultimately the story is secondary to the action, which rarely lets up and never lets viewers down. In a film overflowing with fighting talent, everyone gets their moment in the sun and it never feels contrived. Wu does some of his best work in his most memorable film so far, even though his performance falls a bit flat when he’s not throwing down. After making a splash in Ong Bak back in 2003 and then seemingly vanishing for a time, Jaa returns in fine form, proving he may be Hollywood-ready. The standout, however, is Zhang, who blends imperiousness with high style for his dangerous warden. He’s so cool you know the fight takes a turn to his disadvantage only when a few of his impeccably placed hairs fall out of place. Ko is the kind of old-school badass action movies don’t have enough of these days. SPL 2: A Time for Consequences is also something a lot of action films too often forget to be: fun.

Production company: Tin Tin Film Production

Cast: Tony Jaa, Wu Jing, Zhang Jin, Louis Koo, Simon Yam, Unda Kunteera Thordchanng, Dominic Lam, Kenneth Low, Philip Keung, Babyjohn Choi, Jun Kung, Aaron Chow

Director: Cheang Pou-soi

Screenwriter: Jill Leung Lai-yin, Wong Ying

Producer: Yip Wai-shun, Paco Wong

Executive producer: Alvin Chau, Alex Dong, Chen Yi Qi, Yu Dong, Andrew Chu

Director of photography: Tse Chung-to

Production designer: Horace Ma

Costume designer: Bruce Yu

Editor: David Richardson

Music: Chan Kwong-wing

World sales: Bravos Pictures Limited

No rating, 120 minutes
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I will see this eventually when it becomes available. I don't have high expectations, though. I've lost a lot of faith in Tony Jaa lately. He really has no personality when he isn't fighting, and in his last couple or few films, I've been underwhelmed. It feels as if he's already jumped the shark. I hope I'm wrong about him. Maybe it'll be different with this being a Hong Kong (or China?) film.

I am looking forward to seeing Wu Jing's performance.

First forum review!

Ok, instead of calling this SPL, it should be WTH? Gone are Donnie and Sammo. Wu Jing and Simon Yam are still with the franchise, and they've picked up than Tony Jaa. For this reason, the film is half in Thai. My version = no subs. My Mandarin is weak; my Thai is non-existent. I only spent a few weeks in Thailand, kickboxing, lounging on the beach, and eating, and I never learned a lick of Thai. As for SPL2, I could hardly track the story. Was this a prequel? A sequel? I have to watch the original again to see if it fits. The only story arc I could follow was about a little dying girl. And there was this undercover mole, ala Internal Affairs. Maybe it's better if you know what's going on. Maybe not.

The film is really dark and dingy. Everyone is greasy with tropical sweat. The main color schemes are faded greens and blues. There's a lot of talking and a lot of cell phones. It's an unpleasant environment, but it did remind me of some of my less glamorous travels in Asia.

The fight scenes are way too few and far in between. The first firefight at the terminal has good gunplay. The prison fight is spectacular, the centerpiece of the film, one long continues shot of ultravi mayhem, cleverly CGI-stitched together from several extended fight scenes. There's another raid that's really grisly and has some brutal knife work. Then there are a few more fights that are way too dark so all that is seen is silhouettes. There's a final fight that happens in a bright white room, which is painful because the rest of the film is so dark, my pupils got sore from going pin too quickly.

There are some really feint homages to Ichi the Killer (Yam's restraint) and the eyeglass billboard in the Great Gatsby (2013 version). Maybe there were more but the film was too **** dark. Those were really distracting because I kept thinking 'I've seen that before' especially with the Gatsby reference, and it was bugging me all night. I only figured it out on my commute this morning.

I was very disappointed by this film but I would totally watch that prison fight scene again. Just skip to that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Adding Kill Zone 2 to the title

In U.S. theaters next week.

US THEATER LOCATIONS

May 13, 2016

ATLANTA

AMC Sugarloaf Mills 18
    5900 Sugarloaf Pkwy
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
    (678) 847-9262

BOSTON

AMC Loews Boston Common 19
    175 Tremont St
    Boston, MA 02111
    (617) 423-5801

CHICAGO

AMC River East 21
    322 East Illinois Street
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 596-0333

DALLAS

AMC Grapevine Mills 30
    3150 Grapevine Mills Parkway
    Grapevine, TX 76051
    (972) 539-5909

MINNEAPOLIS

AMC Inver Grove 16
    5567 Bishop Ave
    Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
    (651) 453-1916

NEW YORK CITY

Metrograph Theatre
    7 Ludlow Street
    New York, NY 10002

LOS ANGELES

Arena Cinema
    1625 N Las Palmas Ave
    Hollywood, CA 90028
    (323) 306-0676

AMC Atlantic Time Square
    450 N Atlantic Blvd
    Monterey Park, CA 91754
    (626) 407-0240

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA

Four Star
    2200 Clement St
    San Francisco, CA 94121
    (415) 666-3488

DETROIT

Historic Howell Theater
    315 E Grand River Ave
    Howell, MI 48843
    (517) 579-2355

HAWAII

Pearlridge West 16
    98-1005 Moanalua Road
    Aiea, HI 96701
    (808) 483-5339

PHOENIX

Harkins Valley Art
    509 S Mill Ave
    Tempe, AZ 85281

SEATTLE

AMC Pacific Place 11
    600 Pine Street - Ste 400
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 652-8908

May 8, 2016

DALLAS

Dan's Silverleaf
    103 Industrial St
    Denton, TX 76201
    (940) 320-2000

May 17, 2016
    KANSAS CITY

Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet
    1400 Main Street
    Kansas City, MO 64105
    (816) 474-4545

May 23, 2016

DALLAS

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Richardson
    100 South Central Expressway
    Richardson, TX 75080
    (972) 534-2120

CANADA THEATER LOCATIONS

May 13, 2016

OTTAWA

Mayfair Theatre
    1074 Bank St
    Ottawa, ON K1S 3X3, Canada

TORONTO

Bell Lightbox
    350 King St W
    Toronto, ON M5V 3X5, Canada
    +1 416-599-8433
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In theaters now

An NYT review:
    Review: ‘Kill Zone 2’ Packs a Wallop With Orchestrated Mayhem
    KILL ZONE 2 Directed by Pou-Soi Cheang Action, Crime, Thriller 2h 0m
    By ANDY WEBSTERMAY 12, 2016

Zhang Jin, left, and Tony Jaa in the fist- and kick-filled “Kill Zone 2.” Credit Well Go Usa

If there’s one rewarding thing about many Hong Kong action directors, it’s that they rarely dawdle in getting to what fight fans have come for: bracing shootouts and high-impact fisticuffs and footwork. Soi Cheang, a former assistant to the likes of the Hong Kong auteurs Ringo Lam and Johnnie To, honors this tradition with the generically titled policier “Kill Zone 2,” a quasi-sequel to a 2005 Donnie Yen vehicle and a hearty, layered, big-budget helping of orchestrated mayhem.

Alas, there is some nettlesome exposition, involving a principled prison guard (the martial arts deity Tony Jaa) in Thailand, whose young daughter has leukemia. Her only hope is the blood marrow of an undercover cop (Wu Jing), who, betrayed, is confined in the prison. (The Hong Kong veteran Simon Yam plays a sympathetic police investigator.) An organ-trafficking ring and a corrupt warden (a dapper Zhang Jin) make life hard for our heroes, while one subplot — involving a criminal mastermind (Louis Koo) at odds with his once-loving brother (Jun King) — faintly echoes the 1990s John Woo template.

Enough of that. The meat is the set pieces, among them a boat-terminal bust that goes awry in a blaze of bullets, a raucous cellblock free-for-all and a fracas in a well-appointed high-rise chamber in which Mr. Jaa and Mr. Wu tag-team on scores of assailants. As for Mr. Cheang, here working with the action choreographer Li Chung Chi, you could certainly say he lands his punches.

Kill Zone 2
    Director Pou-Soi Cheang
    Writers Lai-yin Leung, Ying Wong
    Stars Tony Jaa, Jing Wu, Simon Yam, Jin Zhang, Louis Koo
    Running Time 2h 0m
    Genres Action, Crime, Thriller
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This wasn't as bad as I had been expecting from some reviews of it, but IMO it could have been much better. The biggest issue I have is the uneven direction. The continuity and pacing suck. Scenes are shot out of order, to the point where it seems like the action is about to take over from the (considerable amount of) drama, it once again gets mired down in more melodramatics. This even happens during the final fight(!), which really screws up the continuity of an otherwise good end battle.

The fights are overall pretty good. My favorite involves one of the villains who wields short knives. Also, Zhang Jin has become a good new KF movie villain. He doesn't have loads of personality, and has maybe two facial expressions, but he's perfectly convincing at portraying almost unflappable, sociopathic bad guys. His onscreen fighting skills are also excellent. Which begs the question: Why would the action director require so much floaty wirework in his fights? His flying kicks almost look like those of a character in a wuxia film. Not appropriate in a gritty modern setting. One of the things that sets him apart from old-school villains like Hwang Jang Lee, who never needed wires to aid his complex aerial kicking skills.

Tony Jaa has more dramatic scenes than normal, but he also seems to have only two facial expressions. When he's not fighting, he appears uncomfortable onscreen. Also, his MA and stunt skills simply do not stand out like they used to. It seems as if the first Tom Yum Goong movie and Ong Bak 2 were his last "wow" physical performances.

Wu Jing does well in his role, especially in the fights towards the end. IMO, his fights stand out more than Tony Jaa's in this film.

The end fight, involving a double-team against the villain, is among the better end fights in a Chinese or Thai movie in a while, and as mentioned, would have been better without the many interruptions to other, non-action scenes. It would have been better without the wirework, as mentioned, as well as the classical music in the soundtrack, and the overuse of slow motion. Zhang Jin's character has superhuman levels of power and durability.

The coincidences in the storyline stretch credibility to the limit. But overall, I found it entertaining. The plot had a lot of potential, but IMO the execution was a little off.

3/5