Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Zone 2 (Sha Po Lang 2: A Time for Consequences 殺破狼Ⅱ)

Kill Zone 2 (Sha Po Lang 2: A Time for Consequences 殺破狼Ⅱ)

Best news I've heard all day.

SPL2, Wolf Totem get China govt green light
    By Kevin Ma
    Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:30 AM (HKT)

The latest list of film projects approved to go into production by China's State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT) 國家新聞出版廣電總局 was released yesterday.

Last month, 86 films were approved over a two week period (6-21 Jul), of which 75 are modern films set after 1949. The remaining 11 titles are period films.

Several high-profile projects have recently passed preliminary censorship, including Edko's reboot of the Wong Fei-hung character, Rise of the Legend 黃飛鴻 (see separate story).

SAPPRFT releases only basic information, including the license numbers, screenwriter credits, investors and a short synopsis of each title. Most of the films do not yet have an official English title.

Newly approved productions include:

Sil-Metropole Organisation Ltd 銀都機構有限公司's SPL 2 殺破狼2, the thematic sequel to Wilson YIP 葉偉信's action thriller. Donnie YEN 甄子丹 is attached to star. Jill LEUNG 梁禮彥, who co-wrote Champions 奪標 (2008) and Revenge: A Love Story 復仇者之死 (2010), is one of the screenwriters.

Sil-Metropole also has 衝鋒車, an action thriller written by Andy LAU Ho-leung 劉浩良. The writer's credits include Painted Skin 畫皮 (2008), 14 Blades 錦衣衛 (2010), The Great Magician 大魔術師 and the now shootingLast of the Best 一個人的武林, directed by Teddy CHEN 陳德森.

微信時代的文藝愛情 (literally, "A Literary Romance in the WeChat Era"), the GU Changwei 顧長衛 romantic comedy announced by Huayi Brothers Media Corporation 華誼兄弟傳媒股份有限公司 during the Shanghai International Film Festival 上海國際電影節. The director is also credited for the screenplay.

Approved co-productions include:

Wolf Totem 狼圖騰 (pictured), a period drama set during the Cultural Revolution based on the novel by JIANG Rong 姜戎. Directed by France's Jean-Jacques ANNAUD, the US$38 million Bill KONG 江志強-produced film stars William FENG 馮紹峰 and Shawn DOU 竇驍 and is currently in production.

Bona Film Group Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司's From Vegas to Macau 賭城風雲, the WONG Jing 王晶 gambling-themed film starring CHOW Yun-fat 周潤發, Nicholas TSE 謝霆鋒 and JING Tian 景甜. It recently began production and is set for theatrical release during Lunar New Year.

Urban Games 城市遊戲, an extreme sports film directed by Hollywood stunt coordinator Bob BROWN starring Shawn Dou and Michelle CHEN 陳妍希. The film is co-produced by China Film Co Ltd 中國電影股份有限公司 and Hong Kong's Media Asia Films Ltd 寰亞電影有限公司.
    Here's our thread on SPL 1.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wait...what?

No Donnie in SPL2? WTF?!?!?
    SPL 2: Donnie Yen Out? Soi Cheang To Direct And Wilson Yip To Produce
    Andrew Mack

[Twitch has spoken with representatives of Tony Jaa, who assure that while Yen is indeed out of the project, Jaa remains very much committed and the reports of his departure are incorrect. Original story follows.]

Donnie Yen has announced that he will not star in SPL 2 but won't rule out the possibility of a cameo appearance. Because of commitments to two other projects, Dragon City and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2, he will not be available. Wilson Yip, director of the first SPL film, will return as a producer of the project.

Soi Cheang, director of solid action films like Dog Bite Dog, Accident and Motorway, will take over the helm. He recently completed production on Monkey King with Donnie Yen which is why Yen may make a cameo in this film. Sammo Hung, Wu Jing, Andy On and Francis Ng are still attached to the project. It has been suggested that the second film will be a prequel.

Tony Jaa is no longer attached to the project either. He may still be busy with Fast & Furious 7. But we all know how that is coming along now, don't we? There may still be an indication in translated reports that there are still Thai roles to be filled for the production. We'll keep our eyes and ears peeled.

SPL: Sha Po Lang was one of those films that reaffirmed that Hong Kong still had game when it came to action cinema. Fans of the Golden Age had almost lost hope that it had come and gone and there was no one left to pick up the pieces of broken glass. Yen and Yip brought new life and energy to the screen with this film and others like Flashpoint and the first two Ip Man films. Let's hope their influence is still felt and Cheang and company bring us another kick-ass chapter to the story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Since he dies at the end of SPL wouldn't it be odd for him to return for Part II, without some kind of resurrection of course

Sure, sure...it's the movies

Spock died. Obi Wan died. They stayed in the franchises.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I know its the twin brother they forgot to mention in the 1st one...yeah thats the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Spock died. Obi Wan died. They stayed in the franchises.
    SPOILER!?!??! wtf bro
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

sorry lucas, my bad. didn't mean to spoil that for ya...

Meanwhile, SPL2 is playing the Jaa card.

BREAKING: Tony Jaa Signs To Star Opposite Wu Jing In SPL 2.
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

It has long been speculated as to when, exactly, Thai action star Tony Jaa would turn up in a Hong Kong action film and who he would star with should such a thing come to pass. Well, we now have those answers with word coming out of Hong Kong that Jaa has officially signed to star opposite Wu Jing in SPL 2 with production slated to start in spring 2014, presumably after Jaa's commitments to The Fast And The Furious 7 have wrapped up. Here's the official word:

Tony Jaa has signed to star in SPL II which is being produced by Sun Entertainment Culture Limited. The film stars Tony and Legendary Assassin star Jackie Wu (Wu Jing), who probably has the fastest spinning back kick on planet earth.

Jaa is thrilled to be part of this film, and you can expect some surprise appearances in the film. The action choreography is being handled by Dion Lam who was heavily involved in the stunt work on Spider Man 2. Wilson Yip remains very much involved with Terrence Cheung in the director's chair. The film while targeted towards the China and Asian markets will also be released in the Americas, Europe and the Middle East. The collaboration represents a breakthrough effort in Chinese film making between a non-Chinese action star and an all star Chinese line up. The film will be shot in Thailand, China and Hong Kong. The story is an action/drama that should keep the audience very much on the edge of their seats.

Sun Entertainment will release more complete information shortly, and will update on a regular basis. Shooting begins in early Spring of 2014.

The original SPL, which featured Wu in a key villain role, stands as one of the high points of Donnie Yen's long career and was released in the USA and some other territories as Kill Zone.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2014

Tony Jaa is grateful that he gets to act in "SPL II"
    By Heidi Hsia | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom – Wed, Jun 18, 2014 5:14 PM SGT

Tony Jaa is grateful that he gets to act in "SPL II"

18 Jun – Thailand's action star Tony Jaa expressed his happiness of being given the opportunity to star in a Hong Kong production film, saying that he will cherish the experience working with his co-stars, as reported on Singpao News.
    The "Ong-Bak" star, who plays one of the lead roles in the action film, "SPL II", recently attended the press conference for his upcoming movie alongside co-stars Louis Koo, Simon Yam, Max Zhang, and Wu Jing.
    Tony thanked the film producer Paco Wong for realising his dream of filming a Hong Kong action film where in "SPL II" he plays a prison guard.
    Said Tony, "this is the first time I'm starring in a Hong Kong film. In addition to the action scenes, there will also be psychological drama and emotional scenes."
    The actor also revealed that his scenes are mostly with Max Zhang and Wu Jing, who are also skilled in martial arts.
    "They are so strong. I hurt my legs when I filmed the fighting scenes with them," said Tony. "They are determined to do their best as we all have martial arts experience."
    Directed by Cheang Pou Soi, "SPL II" began its filming since May 2014. The movie is a prequel to Donnie Yen's hit 2005 movie, "SPL: Sha Po Lang".
    Tony acting. Yea, that'll bring audiences in.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice interview

The Inquisition: Tony Jaa, martial arts actor
    The Thai martial artist thanks Buddha for his star turn in Hong Kong action thriller
    Text: Edmund Lee

48 HOURS: You're going to star in the upcoming Hong Kong film SPL II: A Time for Consequences. How much of it is going to be set in Thailand?

TONY JAA: I'd say around 80 per cent. The majority of the story takes place in Thailand.

Are there going to be elephants in it? That's your signature after all.

[Laughs] I hope so, but I don't know yet.

What appeals to you about this project?

I've been a big fan of Chinese martial arts movies since I was a kid, and I practised really hard in my rural home after watching them. It's my dream to come and make a film in Hong Kong. I'd watched the first SPL before I read the script for the new film. There's much room for me to express myself in it — apart from the fight scenes, there are also drama scenes that deal with my character's thoughts and emotions.

What's your character like?

I play a prison guard whose daughter is suffering from leukaemia and waiting for a bone marrow transplant. He's doing everything to look for a donor, and he has to protect not just his daughter but the person who could help her. So the role is about what a father would do to save his daughter.

What do you think is the greatest difference between shooting a Thai production and a Hong Kong one?

I heard before that Hong Kong movies expected the actors to do all their own stunts, but once I got here I realised that's not the case. Although injuries can still happen, it's safer than Thai filmmaking, which requires the actors to hit each other for real. I did a four-minute-long take in a Thai film that saw me fight my way up several floors. That gave me a really hard time. By contrast, Hong Kong filmmakers use camera angles and editing to achieve what they want. It's much more comfortable shooting here.

Many consider that four-minute fight sequence you mentioned - from Tom Yum Goong (2005) - a classic in Asian action.

My intention then was to create the longest fight sequence possible. I was determined to accomplish it — and so I did. The preparation for that took two weeks.

It's a well-known fact that you started watching Hong Kong films when you were a kid. What are your best memories?

I really like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chow Yun-fat and Stephen Chow Sing-chi. They have all been my heroes. I have to thank Hong Kong cinema for inspiring me.

If you were to fight Bruce Lee in his prime, who would win?

He's a hero — let's not talk about who the better fighter is. Whenever I encounter difficulties in executing certain moves on the film set, I think back to Bruce Lee and the way he pulled off his moves. I find motivation in him.

Would you agree that you essentially play the same character in most of your films?

There's a bunch of action movie fans out there who demand that I play this kind of character. It's like Bruce Lee, his side kick was what everyone looked forward to seeing, and if he stopped doing that he'd be disappointing his audience. In my case, people are waiting to watch my knee drop and elbow assault every time. It's not for me to say no to them.

Apart from SPL 2, Fast & Furious 7 is another film of yours that will open in 2015. Can you tell us about your role?

I can't talk right now; it's a secret. I'm just very glad to be participating in a Hollywood production. I'd like to tell you more but, if I do, someone's going to kill me.

You became a Buddhist monk in 2010, only returning to the screen last year with Tom Yum Goong 2. What happened there?

I've been a monk for about five years now, and my objective was to recharge myself. In Thailand, men have to become either a soldier or a monk to mature — those are our traditional rites of passage. It's a period during which I talked to Buddha a lot. Once I became a monk, my fortune suddenly turned for the better. I mean, now I'm making films in Hong Kong and Hollywood!
    Here's our F&F7 thread, just for reference.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

June 18

Monday, 6th, 2015 | 5:18PM Updated
    ‘Sha Po Lang 2’ to Land on the Big Screen on June 18

EL Borromeo | Mar 26, 2015 06:57 AM EDT

Sammo Hung will join the cast of "Sha Po Lang 2," which will be released on June 18. (Photo : en.wikipedia.org)

The sequel of the Hong Kong action film “Sha Po Lang” is set to land on the big screen on June 18.

The film follows the story of a retiring policeman who decided to utilize unconventional methods to catch a major gangster.

“Sha Po Lang 2” will be top billed by Sammo Hung, Jacky Wu Jing, Louis Koo, Andy On, Francis Ng and Tony Jaa.

The $23-million-budgeted production will be directed by the critically acclaimed Pou-Soi Cheang (“Motorway”) and will be produced by Wilson Yip (“Ip Man”).

Yip directed the first film, which was released in North America using the title “Kill Zone.”

“Kill Zone” was a box-office hit because of its intense and well-directed fighting scenes. In the 2005 Hong Kong Film Awards, the action film bagged the “Best Action Choreography” award.

Through the “Kill Zone,” Donnie Yen’s and Sammo Hung’s stardom skyrocketed. After the movie, Hung and Yen also collaborated in the 2008 box office hit “Ip Man.”

However, for “Sha Po Lang 2,” Yen was not be able to join the cast because of two other projects: “Dragon City” and “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2.”

For the film’s sequel, the audience can expect for more action scenes with fully upgraded style and choreography.

The filming kicked off on May 1, 2014 and ended on Sept. 6, 2014.

“Sha Po Lang" is a set of three words rooted from Chinese astrology. These represent stars capable of doing good or evil depending on their positions.

A U.S. release too maybe?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly different trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

June 18 2015

I don't think that's a U.S. release date, just Asia.

Looks like a lot of wirework, a lot of CGI, and still, a lot of fun.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Time for Consequences

I'm updating the title of this thread to accommodate the film's latest title.

SPL2 sets action record in China

By Kevin Ma

Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:30 AM (HKT)
    Box Office News

Jurassic World topped the China box office over the three-day Duan Wu Festival holiday weekend, but SPL 2: A Time for Consequences 殺破狼Ⅱ proved to be a formidable opponent with a record opening for a contemporary action film.

With a screening share of approximately 23.6%, Jurassic World earned RMB306 million (US$49.2 million) over the weekend from approximately 7.8 admissions between Friday and Monday. The film passed the RMB1 billion (US$161 million) mark on Sunday and has made RMB1.09 billion (US$175 million) after 13 days in cinema.

The Hollywood sci-fi thriller is the tenth film to pass the RMB1 billion mark in China. It is Universal's second film to pass the milestone following Fast & Furious 7.

In second place, SPL 2 earned RMB314 million (US$50.6 million) over five days — including RMB246 million (US$39.7 million) from approximately 6.85 million admissions between Friday and Monday. Released in 3-D, it had a screening share of approximately 28.9%.

Hollywood sci-fi sequel Insurgent opened in third place, earning RMB68.3 million (US$11.0 million) from approximately 1.84 million admissions over four days. The film had a screening share of approximately 14.8%.

Last year, Divergent earned RMB76.5 million (US$12.3 million) during its theatrical run.

With a screening share of approximately 12.8%, local youth comedy The Ark of Mr. Chow 少年班 earned RMB34.1 million (US$5.5 million) from approximately 1.1 million admissions over four days. The XIAO Yang 肖洋 film is the first major release by CHEN Kuo-fu 陳國富's CKF Pictures Co Ltd 工夫影業股份有限公司.

Taiwan pet drama One Minute More 只要一分鐘 made RMB15.4 million (US$2.49 million) over four days. It has a screening share of approximately 5.99%.

Local drama Rock Hero 搖滾英雄 made RMB1.59 million (US$256,000) over four days. San Andreas has made RMB584 million (US$94.1 million). Stand By Me Doraemon STAND BY ME ドラえもん has made RMB527 million (US$84.9 million).

Hollywood Adventures 橫衝直撞好萊塢, Where the Wind Settles 風中家族, Begin Again and Taiwan drama Hear Me 聽說 (2009) open in cinemas this weekend.

In Taipei, where the Duan Wu Festival public holiday was held on Friday, Jurassic World topped the box office for the second consecutive weekend.

Between Friday and Sunday, the sci-fi thriller earned NT$54.78 million (US$1.78 million). It has already made NT$178 million (US$5.78 million) in the capital.

The top new film this weekend was Dark Places, the adaptation of the novel by Gillian Flynn. From 14 Taipei locations, the drama earned NT$5.09 million (US$165,000) over four days.

Last October, Gone Girl opened with NT$10.4 million (US$337,000) over four days. It made NT$79.5 million (US$2.58 million) in Taipei during its theatrical run.

From 17 Taipei locations, the film version of Entourage opened in fifth place with NT$2.20 million (US$71,500) over four days.

Child 44 opened in seventh place, earning NT$1.05 million (US$34,100) from 12 Taipei locations over four days.

SPL 2: Time for Consequences opened in tenth place, earning NT$770,000 (US$25,000) from six Taipei locations over four days.

Japanese drama Mindset 想いのこし, Blue Spring Ride アオハライド, Ted 2 and What We Do in the Shadows open this weekend.

Jurassic Park also easily dominated the box office in Hong Kong, where the Duan Wu Festival public holiday fell on Saturday (considered a working day in the city).

From 46 locations, the thriller made HK$23.2 million (US$2.99 million) between Friday and Sunday. It has already earned HK$67.5 million (US$8.71 million), making it the highest grossing film of the franchise in Hong Kong.

SPL 2 opened in second place. Distributed locally by Bravos Pictures Ltd 巴福斯影業, the action film earned HK$6.24 million (US$805,000) over four days.

South Korea comedy Twenty 스물 opened in fourth place, earning HK$456,000 (US$58,800) from 13 locations. The film is released locally by Deltamac (HK) Co Ltd 得利影視股份有限公司.

Entourage opened in sixth place, earning HK$307,000 (US$39,600) from 11 locations over four days.

From ten locations, Japanese youth drama Strobe Edge ストロボ・エッジ made HK$237,000 (US$30,600) over four days. Japanese supernatural drama Twilight: Saya in Sasara トワイライト ささらさや made just HK$64,200 (US$8,290) from four locations.

Midnight Diner 深夜食堂 has made HK$4.03 million (US$520,000). Imprisoned: Survival Guide for Rich and Prodigal 高登闊少踎監日記 has earned HK$7.48 million (US$966,000).

Ted 2, Far from the Madding Crowd and Eva JIN 金依萌's Crazy New Year's Eve 一路驚喜 open this weekend.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

North American release in early 2016

Hong Kong Actioner ‘SPL 2’ Set For 2016 North American Release

"SPL2: A Time For Consequences"
    Courtesy of Bravos Pictures
    August 11, 2015 | 02:52AM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

“SPL2: A Time For Consequences,” the Hong Kong action hit, will get a release in North America in early 2016.

Rights to the film, a sequel to Wilson Yip’s 2005 police action thriller “Sha Po Lang: Kill Zone,” were acquired by Texas-based WellGo USA from Hong Kong sales agency Bravos Pictures.

The film had its premiere in June as part of the Shanghai festival’s focus on action movies, and it has since been a hit in mainland and Hong Kong cinemas.

“SPL2” is directed by Cheang Pou-soi (“Motorway,” “The Monkey King”) and stars Wu Jing and Simon Yam, who return to the series, albeit in different roles. Joining the cast is Thai martial arts star Tony Jaa and versatile Hong Kong actor Louis Koo.

The story follows an undercover drugs cop who unintentionally lands up in a Thai jail, alongside a particularly dangerous fellow prisoner.

WellGo’s president and CEO Doris Pfardrescher says the commercial release will follow premieres in several North American festivals through the fall.

“Combining Tony Jaa with a cast of stars from our best-selling martial arts and action movies was beyond our expectations. It’s been worth the wait,” she said.
    One local friend I know saw this and wasn't impressed. And he's a solid Kung Fu flick critic, or he wouldn't have even seen this yet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips