Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So ive been watching Hendriks video's....

So ive been watching Hendriks video's....

Spent some time the other day watching a few of his recent videos and, if nothing else, i admire his passion for what he believes and is trying to get across.

Having said that, i personally feel that around 80-90% of the videos is wasted time and he appears to be over complicating the message he is trying to get across.

As an example of a video showing technique, principals etc here is a clip of an old school boxer called Charley Burley, one of the true past masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

What i like about this video is the balance it achieves between theory, comparison, analogy and actual footage of fighting... boxing in this case... and in particular how it compares new to old.

Am i expecting Hendrik to do a video like this? No, but personally i find this 8 minute clip gives me a better understanding of the topic at hand than 5 of Hendriks 30 minute lecture's, and perhaps he should view this video and take on board how it conveys its ideas so well

Thoughts?

Spent some time the other day watching a few of his recent videos and, if nothing else, i admire his passion for what he believes and is trying to get across.

You Sir, are to be commended on your patience and perserverance!

Having said that, i personally feel that around 80-90% of the videos is wasted time and he appears to be over complicating the message he is trying to get across.

I will admit that as much as I have tried, I have had little time or patience to make it through Hendrik's videos. He could be much more concise and to the point. But at least he is putting his ideas out there! In the past he would not have done this. Hendrik has shown great progress in his willingness to share his thoughts and ideas over the years. In the past his frequent response to questions to explain his statements further was that one had to "bai shi" to a master to learn such secrets.

As an example of a video showing technique, principals etc here is a clip of an old school boxer called Charley Burley, one of the true past masters.

Interesting clip! In reference to some recent threads, I will note that this boxing video talks about lines of attack and defense, major principles as the foundation of boxing, and included plenty of "armchairish" analysis from a "thinking man's" perspective.

Keith

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

What i like about this video is the balance it achieves between theory, comparison, analogy and actual footage of fighting... boxing in this case... and in particular how it compares new to old.
    Thanks for sharing that video. It's fantastic.

Fighting IS a series of rotations trying to land a target within whichever four gates are available and depending on how you use it can make a massive difference. One of the reasons I push the rotational understanding of good WC as much as I do. It's ridiculous to think otherwise IMO.

Thanks again.

Wcners often ask me why do I make things so complicated?

I told them this.

Say using turning the body to generate power . Ten people will tell you that, but everyone is getting a different result.

I define YKT drill 3 as a reference of how the joints handle in turning, define momentum dna, define kneeling stance, rack, and standing stake, define double helix Jin or force change type- action/reaction force, define body and force line type of power generation. Define the accurate 7 bows and the sequence for loose up. These seems to make things complicated. However, these are elements critical to define what is a turning the body to generate power.

With clear definition ten person follow it , all ten know clearly what it is. Eight might develop it, and five might be good at it. Since knowing it doesn't mean good at it . However, don't know it means one is totally out of the game of develop it.

We can see many people for decades talk about fajin like taiji, but everyone has their own definition and very rare to see anyone really develop fajin. Even though everyone loves to say " oh, I have it too." Disregards of whether one knows what is going on.

If Wck is so simple why is Wck inch power is extremely rare in today's world and people keep thinking the Bruce lee inch punch demo as Wck inch power? Where it is totally a feet punch pushing the body in feet ?

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that video. It's fantastic.

Fighting IS a series of rotations trying to land a target within whichever four gates are available and depending on how you use it can make a massive difference. One of the reasons I push the rotational understanding of good WC as much as I do. It's ridiculous to think otherwise IMO.

Thanks again.
    You really don't understand your own facing tactics. Rotations are considered errors with their own recovery drills.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You really don't understand your own facing tactics. Rotations are considered errors with their own recovery drills.
    I understand them fine, thank you.

What you don't seem to understand is the difference between developmental and application. 99% of WC is developmental. If you fight with developmental, you will lose more often than not.

I understand them fine, thank you.

What you don't seem to understand is the difference between developmental and application. 99% of WC is developmental. If you fight with developmental, you will lose more often than not.
    No you don't. Sad really, Emmet seems to disagree with you too and he's your lineage. Trying to associate turning with good wc ? That's like drunk driving.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-15-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Wcners often ask me why do I make things so complicated?

I told them this.

Say using turning the body to generate power . Ten people will tell you that, but everyone is getting a different result.

I define YKT drill 3 as a reference of how the joints handle in turning, define momentum dna, define kneeling stance, rack, and standing stake, define double helix Jin or force change type- action/reaction force, define body and force line type of power generation. Define the accurate 7 bows and the sequence for loose up. These seems to make things complicated. However, these are elements critical to define what is a turning the body to generate power.

With clear definition ten person follow it , all ten know clearly what it is. Eight might develop it, and five might be good at it. Since knowing it doesn't mean good at it . However, don't know it means one is totally out of the game of develop it.

We can see many people for decades talk about fajin like taiji, but everyone has their own definition and very rare to see anyone really develop fajin. Even though everyone loves to say " oh, I have it too." Disregards of whether one knows what is going on.

If Wck is so simple why is Wck inch power is extremely rare in today's world and people keep thinking the Bruce lee inch punch demo as Wck inch power? Where it is totally a feet punch pushing the body in feet ?
    I rest my case

No you don't. Sad really, Emmet seems to disagree with you too and he's your lineage.
    You just never stop, do you? You ALWAYS have to say something. I'm not worried about Emmett and whether he agrees with me or not. He can do what he likes.

You, on the other hand, seem to never let anyone have a different viewpoint and insist superiority over all others by a mere "proof" that you had an epiphany when switching to your current system. Let alone, a system that has a reputation due to an exaltation of "teenager" fights. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

You just never stop, do you? You ALWAYS have to say something. I'm not worried about Emmett and whether he agrees with me or not. He can do what he likes.

You, on the other hand, seem to never let anyone have a different viewpoint and insist superiority over all others by a mere "proof" that you had an epiphany when switching to your current system. Let alone, a system that has a reputation due to an exaltation of "teenager" fights. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

Trying to associate turning with good wc ? That's like drunk driving.

It's okay to swerve off the side of the road, as long as your next action is to swerve back into oncoming traffic.

Chum kiu and biu Jee have lots of turning.
    Leunt jan final art , the Kulo pin San are expert at turning.

The following YouTube is classical Wck , turning is an element, start 0.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8V4...=youtube_gdata

Wck is not bak mei, not spm, not boxing.
    You can evolve your lineage but again, that doesn't represent the classical Wck.

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.

i admire his passion for what he believes and is trying to get across.

I pretty much feel the same way. I wish nothing but success for the guy, but to talk so much and so in depth about a way which is supposedly superior or more complete in a sense, and then to show absolutely nothing to prove it...it's just too hard to believe.

Nearly in every other case on this forum we see any demonstration video responded to with constant requests of "why not post a real fight?" In this case however, it's at a point where even a solid example of YK snake engine or YK wing chun power generation on an inanimate object would suffice.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    The following YouTube is classical Wck , turning is an element, start 0.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8V4...=youtube_gdata
    Chiu-ying & jeui-ying have no meaning to these guys?

@0:38 That's a terrible position to be in and he's putting himself there? He's trapping himself at a bad angle and asking for the guy to run him over.

Same at the end with the guy @4:00. The opponent need only seung-ma and he's on his ass.

Spent some time the other day watching a few of his recent videos
    Thoughts?
    Suicidal, bored or just too much time on your hands? You need a hobby..............