Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Examining a classic stance

Examining a classic stance

Something Great Came from the Wing Chun Forum's infighting! This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4 was posted in a thread started by GlennR

It's an examination of the classic boxing fighting stance in comparison to the modern square fighter's stance. IMO, it's really not significantly different than the classic northern TCMA stance - is there something we can learn or apply based on this video?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Something Great Came from the Wing Chun Forum's infighting! This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4 was posted in a thread started by GlennR

It's an examination of the classic boxing fighting stance in comparison to the modern square fighter's stance. IMO, it's really not significantly different than the classic northern TCMA stance - is there something we can learn or apply based on this video?
    Yes, THAT is how one makes a good video.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the classic northern TCMA stance is the modern square fighters stance. u mad?

U MAD?
    Last edited by bawang; 08-16-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the classic northern TCMA stance is the modern square fighters stance. u mad?

U MAD?
    You really need to get out and actually study kung fu.

Anyone familiar with the orthodox northern TCMA fighting stance will see some similarity to the classic boxing stance - the exception being that Northern kung fu prefers the dominant hand in front.

Comparative pics would be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Comparative pics would be nice...
    Too many contemporary artists are into kung fu. Did a couple of searches for northern kung fu terms with the term "illustration" hoping to find something historic and couldn't. So - if you don't know or haven't been exposed to a legit Northern system, you're SOL. Basically, look at the first pic I posted, stand like that but with your dominant hand forward in a fist and open your back guard hand, lower your center of gravity slightly - and valla - you're pretty much standing in the classic northern TCMA fighting stance.

Too many contemporary artists are into kung fu. Did a couple of searches for northern kung fu terms with the term "illustration" hoping to find something historic and couldn't. So - if you don't know or haven't been exposed to a legit Northern system, you're SOL. Basically, look at the first pic I posted, stand like that but with your dominant hand forward in a fist and open your back guard hand, lower your center of gravity slightly - and valla - you're pretty much standing in the classic northern TCMA fighting stance.
    theres no such thing as "modern" fighting stance. classical western boxing doesn't tuck the chin to show elegance and grace. it was called the gentleman stance, or with style. modern boxing tucks the chin for safety, it was called commoner stance or without style.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-16-2013 at 08:06 AM.

theres no such thing as "modern" fighting stance. classical western boxing doesn't tuck the chin to show elegance and grace. it was called the gentleman stance, or with style. modern boxing tucks the chin for safety, it was called commoner stance or without style.
    The main difference in stance between classical styles and modern styles is that in old styles people tended to keep their feet in line. Now people favour a wider base with legs apart. This affects the way you hold your upper body, head and hands. I think there is this difference.

Classical boxing dealt with far less head shots than modern boxing and many of those were "uppercutting" and as such, the more "upright" head would allow for a better chance to evade those "uppward" strikes.
    Since Hooks as we now throw them were NOT used ( they were more round house punches than hooks), the high chin wasn't as much of an issue.
    The "chin tucked" in is a must on modern fighting.

Classical boxing dealt with far less head shots than modern boxing and many of those were "uppercutting" and as such, the more "upright" head would allow for a better chance to evade those "uppward" strikes.
    Since Hooks as we now throw them were NOT used ( they were more round house punches than hooks), the high chin wasn't as much of an issue.
    The "chin tucked" in is a must on modern fighting.
    during 1890s transition from classical boxing to modern boxing, the main objection from classical supporters is modern boxing looks ugly and brutal.

say what now

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    say what now
    I think he saw some guy on youtube claiming this.

I think he saw some guy on youtube claiming this.
    It was a Van damme movie, get your sources right.