Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examining a classic stance

Hybrid View

Examining a classic stance

Something Great Came from the Wing Chun Forum's infighting! This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4 was posted in a thread started by GlennR

It's an examination of the classic boxing fighting stance in comparison to the modern square fighter's stance. IMO, it's really not significantly different than the classic northern TCMA stance - is there something we can learn or apply based on this video?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Something Great Came from the Wing Chun Forum's infighting! This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4 was posted in a thread started by GlennR

It's an examination of the classic boxing fighting stance in comparison to the modern square fighter's stance. IMO, it's really not significantly different than the classic northern TCMA stance - is there something we can learn or apply based on this video?
    Yes, THAT is how one makes a good video.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the classic northern TCMA stance is the modern square fighters stance. u mad?

U MAD?
    Last edited by bawang; 08-16-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

U MAD?
    You really need to get out and actually study kung fu.

Anyone familiar with the orthodox northern TCMA fighting stance will see some similarity to the classic boxing stance - the exception being that Northern kung fu prefers the dominant hand in front.

Comparative pics would be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Comparative pics would be nice...
    Too many contemporary artists are into kung fu. Did a couple of searches for northern kung fu terms with the term "illustration" hoping to find something historic and couldn't. So - if you don't know or haven't been exposed to a legit Northern system, you're SOL. Basically, look at the first pic I posted, stand like that but with your dominant hand forward in a fist and open your back guard hand, lower your center of gravity slightly - and valla - you're pretty much standing in the classic northern TCMA fighting stance.

Too many contemporary artists are into kung fu. Did a couple of searches for northern kung fu terms with the term "illustration" hoping to find something historic and couldn't. So - if you don't know or haven't been exposed to a legit Northern system, you're SOL. Basically, look at the first pic I posted, stand like that but with your dominant hand forward in a fist and open your back guard hand, lower your center of gravity slightly - and valla - you're pretty much standing in the classic northern TCMA fighting stance.
    theres no such thing as "modern" fighting stance. classical western boxing doesn't tuck the chin to show elegance and grace. it was called the gentleman stance, or with style. modern boxing tucks the chin for safety, it was called commoner stance or without style.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-16-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You really need to get out and actually study kung fu.

Anyone familiar with the orthodox northern TCMA fighting stance will see some similarity to the classic boxing stance - the exception being that Northern kung fu prefers the dominant hand in front.
    Yes, when I did northern style, the preferred stance was right lead/southpaw position. But in the main lineage of my CLF, we start from the left lead/orthodox stance, and through stepping and combinations work into the right lead most of the time. That left lead stance has some resemblance to the classic boxing stance, but with slightly more weight towards the front. I personally prefer a variation of this stance, though, and emphasize mobility. Other CLF methods generally seem to prefer the right lead throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes, when I did northern style, the preferred stance was right lead/southpaw position. But in the main lineage of my CLF, we start from the left lead/orthodox stance, and through stepping and combinations work into the right lead most of the time.
    That is the same with Tanglang. Orthodox, stepping forward into southpaw but returning to orthodox. Also, not all 'Northern' styles use right side lead. Many have a shifting guard and try to emphasise both sides. If anything, right side lead/southpaw is more prevalent in the Southern styles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    That is the same with Tanglang. Orthodox, stepping forward into southpaw but returning to orthodox. Also, not all 'Northern' styles use right side lead. Many have a shifting guard and try to emphasise both sides. If anything, right side lead/southpaw is more prevalent in the Southern styles.
    In the throwing art, you definitely want to put your strong side forward.

Here is a simple example, If you want to use your right leg to block your opponent's legs, you have to keep your right leg forward. If you put it back, you will need an extra step to cover the same distance. That will be just too slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2pS7tt9SU

If you train both the striking art and the throwing art, will you use southpaw or orthodox?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Thank you for sharing.

Although my CLF's main lineage generally emphasizes the orthodox into southpaw, for myself, I'm comfortable from whichever position I happen to be in. Which IMO is good for standup, because oftentimes you have to act/react from the position you happen to be in relative to your opponent. And this can develop naturally, without necessarily having to obsessively mirror every movement or combo for each side during practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

U MAD?
    Here is where you guys are talking pass each other.
    Mighty B did NOT say that the MODERN boxing stances is like the classical northern TCMA stance.
    He said that the CLASSICAL boxing one was.

The idea that a "modern" or "classical" stance should be mutually exclusive is wrong, IMO. They are both good and appropriate in context. This is the trouble with all fighting systems, including "mma" when it is thought of as a system, their method must always be best.

I heard a pro MMA fighter say Muay Thai stance is no good, too high, weight to the back, easier to take down. This is true, but every good kick boxer knows when the weight is heavier on the front leg is the time to leg kick, (like a wrestler stands, or modern square stance.) With weight heavy to the front, it is very difficult to check a leg kick, shoulders square instead of 45 is more open, better to shoot, but worse to defend against strikes.

Squared shoulders is an aggressive posture, shoulder turned is defensive. Why wouldn't we want to train both?

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong, if I think my opponent will shoot, I will use square stance, if I think he will kick my leg I will use Thai stance, both serve their purpose and I think modern and classical approach should be trained. (Although I think "modern square stance" is not at all new or modern.)

Gung Bu is an exaggerated square stance.

Traditional Muay Thai stance, is not unlike a high empty/cat stance.

It's not better or worse, but what fits your strategy and what your opponent is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Ultimate Stance

No can Defend.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The best stance is the one that works best for you when you need it to.