Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power vs. Speed

there are a few different points. first of all not all mantis styles are the same. they are different from hong kong to the north of the mainland and taiwan.
    so the original statement can not be made for all mantis styles. some put more power and jing into their movement than others along with more waist movement.
    second force equals weight X speed so your force generated can be increased by the speed of your strikes.
    then the physics behind your strikes, unfortunately, there are many that don't even know how to punch correctly or generate power correctly over even do a stance correctly so a lot comes into play.

a bullet won't kill you if i throw it at you, it will kill you if i shoot it at you. the speed increases generating more force.

not just in mantis but it should be in all martial arts, there is a reason for each type of strike, how and why it is used and it's speed or power. if not, then you only need to learn one strike as they would all be the same.

Blog Entries
    Again, when a mosquito flies in front of you and you want to smash that mosquito, will you use your body to push your hand, or will you let your body to chase your hand? Which part of your body will move first? Why?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

the clips you mention in the beginning are just forms, they are not fighting so of course it isn't going to take them that much time to perform their technique, the important part is they know how to generate the power when they need it. movements in forms are not always the same as applying them.

i would let your mosquito land on me, then i could crush it with enjoyment and not need much power or speed, strategy.

also different muscles come into play for power and speed, each one of us are different, some will be quicker than others, some will have more power than others, depends on our body.
    a cheetah is build for speed, but it lacks power, a lion is more powerful but lacks the speed of a cheetah. if a lion gets hold of the cheetah it is the end for the cheetah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXfDrPs1CIE

in longfist its important to mix slow and fast. this way you have no rhythm.

if u just lower ur hand ur opponent doesnt take the bait. if u punch slow they think they have easy counter.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-20-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    there are a few different points. first of all not all mantis styles are the same. they are different from hong kong to the north of the mainland and taiwan.
    Very true!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    in longfist its important to mix slow and fast. this way you have no rhythm.

if u just lower ur hand ur opponent doesnt take the bait. if u punch slow they think they have easy counter.
    This is so true and gets overlooked a lot because it is so natural to fall into a rhythm during training and even sparring. I have to consciously force myself to not fall into a rhythm with bag and pad training. I think conscious, drastic changes in the tempo of sparring is also a good training tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!