Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this good wing chun?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    And if he didn't have an over-arching need to be the biggest little fish in a really little pond, he might be able to use some of those positive traits to get somewhere. His WCK fundamentals need some work though so he probably ought to go train with someone for a while.
    He sure is vocal...

And if he didn't have an over-arching need to be the biggest little fish in a really little pond, he might be able to use some of those positive traits to get somewhere. His WCK fundamentals need some work though so he probably ought to go train with someone for a while.
    Interesting to see the difference between the way someone sounds and the way they actually do things, isn't it? Little forums are full of big fish too.

I wonder why tc101 isn't on this thread discussing tactical combat's dominic izzo. They sound like they would get on great

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    I wonder why tc101 isn't on this thread discussing tactical combat's dominic izzo. They sound like they would get on great
    Tactical Combat

tc101

Maybe he is Dominic Izzo.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Tactical Combat

tc101

Maybe he is Dominic Izzo.
    Seems unlikely given Dominic Izzo's propensity for self promotion and tc101's desire for anonymity? Apart from that their obsessions are similar I agree.

Actually the funny thing is that Izzo probably has adapted his WCK lower gate skills to prevent a takedown better than about 90% of this forum. We see live drill evidence. And if he can prevent a takedown, and has enough wrestling to take other people down, I would guesstimate that he probably could defeat the vast majority of this forum in unrestricted fighting / sparring as well. He would probably take down, mount and GNP a good deal of this forum. Despite the perceived deficiencies in his fundamental WCK. His weaknesses expose him to less danger than his strengths and matched opponent weaknesses do for other people who have not trained live against a decent wrestler.

So I guess from one perspective my answer to "Is this good wing chun?" is "how much does that matter?"

I would guesstimate that he probably could defeat the vast majority of this forum in unrestricted fighting / sparring as well.
    Dominick Izzo would not be taking anyone down to g n p them. He loves wing chun. Everything is focused on making his wing chun work. Unfortunately it is poor. This is a difficult position he has placed himself in. I agree that he would likely do much better focusing on his wrestling and amateur boxing, but he doesn't

Dominick Izzo would not be taking anyone down to g n p them.
    How do you know this? usually in sparring people revert to their most trained skills.

How do you know this? usually in sparring people revert to their most trained skills.
    He's done wing chun for years it looks like. He teaches it as police and women's self defence. He used it in police duty.

On the other hand he did a bit of wrestling and boxing in college.