Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focus Mitts for Wing Chun?

This is a great reason to use thai pads over focus mitts. In your situation repetitive impact trauma would be greater with the lever of the impact point of focus mitts on your elbow vs. having the entire forearm covered.
    Yep, i get the striker to hit towards the base of the pad (closer to the elbow) to decrease the leverage aspect which is a problem with mitts

"a better fit for WC"

Why can people not see training methods and value inherently and have to tack on what is and is not appropriate for WCK?
    I never said i dont use mitts, but that my preference is for thai pads with WC. On top of the reasons Guy gave i can also elbow, knee and kick them which isnt so easy with mitts and, FWIW, i can do most things on the pads i can do on mitts but not quite as qucick though its never been a problem to date.

That's a completely false statement. Each target - thai pads or focus mitts are specifically engineered to develop different characteristics. They do overlap a bit. Use the proper thing to develop the attribute you want. Stop generalizing "for all WCK".
    True, and its the characterstics developed on Thai Pads that i prefer to those on the mitts for a WCer

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Not so much body shield + thai pad as it's a little redundant.
    I think combining Thai pads with belly pad, (as in MT) is very good because you can easily train hand combos with front kicks. Also, if you have a powerful kicker, the pads don't offer much resistance for things like side kick or spinning back kick. Double stacked pads over the belly pad is safer to the holder and offers much more resistance to the kicker, allowing him to move your entire body with the kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think combining Thai pads with belly pad, (as in MT) is very good because you can easily train hand combos with front kicks. Also, if you have a powerful kicker, the pads don't offer much resistance for things like side kick or spinning back kick. Double stacked pads over the belly pad is safer to the holder and offers much more resistance to the kicker, allowing him to move your entire body with the kick.
    all true..........

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I never said i dont use mitts, but that my preference is for thai pads with WC. On top of the reasons Guy gave i can also elbow, knee and kick them which isnt so easy with mitts and, FWIW, i can do most things on the pads i can do on mitts but not quite as qucick though its never been a problem to date.
    Sure.

True, and its the characterstics developed on Thai Pads that i prefer to those on the mitts for a WCer
    what characteristics "for a WCer" specifically do you think MT pads fit?

I use focus mits with students roughly every other class. But, we don't use them just to practice WC striking. While that is part of the idea, we also use them to simulate attacks to build skill with 4-gate defense tactics. One example would be entering in on the student with a lead mit for them to strike on center, and then hook the same mit around at their head causing a different reaction, say a biu sau while striking on center with the other hand (which I set up the other mit for). Or hook the rear mit to somewhat simulate a jab/cross and more of a touch-and-go scenario.

While I can see where thai pads would be useful in some scenarios, they do not work well at all for what I described above. Focus mits are smaller, lighter, and you can move faster with them to give the student far more pressure & challenge.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    While I can see where thai pads would be useful in some scenarios, they do not work well at all for what I described above. Focus mits are smaller, lighter, and you can move faster with them to give the student far more pressure & challenge.
    Exactly what I'm talking about....

All the different pads are useful since they permit you to practice and sharpen your wing chun tools. One thing we've done is take Mayweather's pad idea and there are some good YouTube tutorials on it and adjust it to use wing chun actions.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    All the different pads are useful since they permit you to practice and sharpen your wing chun tools. One thing we've done is take Mayweather's pad idea and there are some good YouTube tutorials on it and adjust it to use wing chun actions.
    Now that id like to see

what characteristics "for a WCer" specifically do you think MT pads fit?
    It might sound funny, but i find the MT pads brace a lot better and properly held feel a bit like a wall bag full of beans, it mush jarder to get that feel on mitts IMO

The WC punch has a short range of power and i find the pads better to train this than the mitts.... call it personal choice.

Sure, you can probably work mitts quicker and better for combinations but IMO WC isnt about combinations, its about straight line punching, getting his COG and finishing the job. Its not boxing and from a WC point of view im not looking for combinations........ im looking to finish the job quickly

Ozzy Dave put up my favourite description of WC (wish i could find that post), it went something like "WC is an ambush style, the confrontation starts , you occupy the centre and overwhelm with unsuspected straight punches"

Or something like that........ and with that in mind i find the MT better

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Exactly what I'm talking about....
    Yeah, and when we work mits, we're not just holding a static target for the student to strike, we are 'popping' the mits most of the time and giving force feedback and structure tests in every shot. It's a lot different than just holding up a MT pad for a student to wail away on. Again, that's got it's time/place as well, but a bit limiting when building WC skills IMO.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    What do you think Mayweather padwork is developing?

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Yeah, and when we work mits, we're not just holding a static target for the student to strike, we are 'popping' the mits most of the time and giving force feedback and structure tests in every shot. It's a lot different than just holding up a MT pad for a student to wail away on. Again, that's got it's time/place as well, but a bit limiting when building WC skills IMO.
    Who is "just holding up a MT pad for a student to wail away on"?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    The weight difference can feel like that. In reality you can do almost the same things with both. Kicks, knees are the why for MT pads.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    I don't know, people that have little understanding of how to develop skills with pads/mits? I've seen it done, and you can find plenty of examples on youtube. But to be fair, I don't think that's all you do with MT pad, and what I said might have implied that. So maybe I should have said 'pad' in general, because one can just 'wail away on' any of them I guess.

It looks like Ernie Barrios has put in a lot of time developing some great mitt drills.
    Personally I've always used mitts in my training. You can really work a lot of things - structure, angles, footwork, timing. Sky's the limit. Just got to go about it intelligently and creatively.

Like JPinAZ I prefer the smaller focus mitts.