Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The hands we use...

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Or you could make up for that by showing parts of PB's clips where he's showing the same thing you're trying to express. Then use a few simple words to explain. Really not that hard. It would be like students crowded around to watch and listen to your explanation on one student in class. Really not that hard to do. People might then need hands-on aid in putting it to practice, but your meaning should have been expressed quite clearly. Would you like me to demonstrate as an example?
    I have member only tutorial clips, loads. But we deliberately don't put them up with explanations.

Knock yourself out ; ).

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Abstract ideas aren't very clear because we can't see them as a tangible action like your list.
    Not sure what you mean by abstract ideas arent very clear because we cannot see them. Must be a martial arts thing. Take algebra, the distributive property. a(b + c) = ab + ac. It's an abstract idea but I clearly understand what it means. When one cannot explain abstract ideas clearly and succinctly, it's probably stuff and nonsense. ( That's my paraphrasing Einstein who people would say clearly explained a complex abstract idea or two in his day )

However I can tell you that I have seen ( not in person in video ) WSL and his student Gary Lam also used a tan sau as a release from a wrist grab. It's very simple. Its not the only use, just one. Same thing as with other VT hands. They are tools but they are more than just one-use tools.

My sifu who has ten plus years in Baltimore City corrections has shown me various ways VT hands can be used, apart from punching.
    Last edited by trubblman; 08-26-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Not sure what you mean by abstract ideas arent very clear because we cannot see them. Must be a martial arts thing. Take algebra, the distributive property. a(b + c) = ab + ac. It's an abstract idea but I clearly understand what it means. When one cannot explain abstract ideas clearly and succinctly, it's probably stuff and nonsense. ( That's my paraphrasing Einstein who people would say clearly explained a complex abstract idea or two in his day )
    Cool, Einstein would have understood vt , ; )

I'm beginning to think that when PB students use the term 'abstract idea' it is simply a way of explaining away something that is in the VT system for everyone else, but not actually used in PB VT.

i.e., Tan Sau and Fook Sau. Outside of Poon Sau you don't use them as Tan and Fook (dispersing or covering) and so for you they become an 'abstract idea' for something else - a primary function that was mentioned elsewhere. So Tan and Fook, for you guys, simply become a method for training the elbow - but only a method for training the elbow.

And so returning to the original point of the thread, it means (I think) that you actually use a very limited number of WC/VT/WT's 'hands'.

From the videos you guys post, mostly we see punching, Pak Sau and Bong Sau (supported with Wu Sau) and combined with angling and footwork.

Would it be fair to say that?

That PB VT works almost exclusively with these four things:

Punching
    Bong
    Pak
    Wu
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    I'm beginning to think that when PB students use the term 'abstract idea' it is simply a way of explaining away something that is in the VT system for everyone else, but not actually used in PB VT.

i.e., Tan Sau and Fook Sau. Outside of Poon Sau you don't use them as Tan and Fook (dispersing or covering) and so for you they become an 'abstract idea' for something else - a primary function that was mentioned elsewhere. So Tan and Fook, for you guys, simply become a method for training the elbow - but only a method for training the elbow.

And so returning to the original point of the thread, it means (I think) that you actually use a very limited number of WC/VT/WT's 'hands'.

From the videos you guys post, mostly we see punching, Pak Sau and Bong Sau (supported with Wu Sau) and combined with angling and footwork.

Would it be fair to say that?

That PB VT works almost exclusively with these four things:

Punching
    Bong
    Pak
    Wu

You're on the right track. Lin sil di da. Loi Lau Hoi sung lat sao Jik chun baby !
    Delivered like lightning from a mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You're on the right track. Lin sil di da. Loi Lau Hoi sung lat sao Jik chun baby !
    Delivered like lightning from a mountain.
    Sounds like chain punch city to me...ugh

Lightning doesn't come from mountains.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

They were all in love with dying
    They were drinking from a fountain
    That was pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain