Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fast and Furious 7

Sahamongkolfilm furious over Furious

Fast & Furious 7 blocked in Thailand

By Stephen Cremin

Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:00 PM (HKT)
    Policy/Legal News

Yesterday, the Civil Court of Thailand ordered that the domestic distribution of Fast & Furious 7 be halted until a lawsuit is settled between Sahamongkolfilm International Co Ltd สหมงคลฟิล์ม อินเตอร์เนชั่นแนล, Universal Pictures Inc, UIP (Thailand) ยูนิเวอร์แซล พิคเจอร์ส and actor Tony JAA จา ทัชชกร ยีรัมย์.

Sahamongkolfilm has demanded that the distribution of the film — co-starring Thai action star Jaa (pictured) — be stopped and that the defendants pay the Thai studio the sum of ฿1.60 billion (US$49.1 million), with 7.5% interest until payment is made.

The court made its decision after interviewing two employees of Sahamongkolfilm. According to Thai media, they were Akarapol KARASARANEE อัครพล อัครเศรณี, the son of company head Somsak TECHARATANAPRASERT สมศักดิ์ เตชะรัตนประเสริฐ, and Suwat APAIPAK สุวัตร อภัยภักดิ์, a member of its legal team.

Sahamongkolfilm's final film with Jaa was Tom Yum Goong 2 ต้มยำกุ้ง 2 (2013), which made only ฿58.6 million (US$1.80 million) in Bangkok and Chiang Mai on release in Oct 2013. The company claims that that ฿1.60 billion demand is based on their investment in the actor.

Jaa signed a ten year contract with Sahamongkolfilm in 2003, which it had the right to extend to twenty years. The company claim that Jaa willingly renewed the deal in July 2013 and that he is under contract until 2023. Jaa's side denies that the contract was renewed or that a new contract was initiated by the actor.

The action sequel was due to open in Thai cinemas on 1 April, eight days before Sahamongkolfilm releases The Legend of King Naresuan VI ตำนานสมเด็จพระนเรศวรมหาราช ภาค 6 ตอน อวสานหงสา, the final entry in Chatrichalerm YUKOL ชาตรีเฉลิม ยุคล's series of historical movies, which is expected to be the highest grossing local film of the year.

Yukol made a statement this morning asking that audiences not boycott his new film which he claimed is fully financed by a bank loan secured by his company, Prommitr Production Co Ltd พร้อมมิตรโปรดักชั่น, which recently declared bankruptcy. He clarified that only the second and third film in the series received government subsidy, which has since been repaid.

A press screening of Fast & Furious 7 scheduled for 31 March has been canceled.

The court will not begin its investigation until 15 June. The film will be blocked from Thai cinemas until the court makes its decision or until an agreement is reached outside the courts between Sahamongkolfilm and the defendants.

The next Jaa film to be released in Thailand is Skin Trade, on 23 April, directed by Ekachai UEKRONGTHAM เอกชัย เอื้อครองธรรม | 呂翼謀. There is no known lawsuit filed at this time against its producers. That film's producer, Bangkok-based Michael SELBY, is Jaa's current agent.

Alas, Tony Jaa. Thailand luv him. Who can forget the Tony-Jaa-Scandals?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Interestingly, none of the TV commercials for this film even show a hint of Tony Jaa being in it.

Now playing in Thailand

‘Furious 7′ Release Goes Ahead in Thailand After Injunction Overturned

IMAGE COURTESY OF FRANCOIS DURAND/GETTY IMAGES)
    APRIL 1, 2015 | 09:52PM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Commercial screenings of “Furious 7” went ahead Wednesday (April 1) in Thailand after the overturn of a court injunction which had blocked the film’s release in the country.

On Thursday last week Shamongkolfilm International, one of Thailand’s major film producers and distributors called on Thai courts to halt the film’s release, arguing that local star Tony Jaa had breached his talent management contract by appearing in the movie. It claimed damages of $49 million and obtained an injunction halting the film’s release in Thailand ahead of a June court hearing.

However, on Monday a Bangkok Civil Court threw out the injunction, arguing that other interested parties would be damaged by the film’s non-release.

The movie, the seventh in the “Fast & Furious” action franchise, opens in North America tomorrow (April 3).
    Jaa was star of several movies produced or distributed by Sahamongkol – including “Ong Bak” and “Tom Yum Goong” (aka “The Protector” in North America – while under a long term contract with Sahamongkol as his exclusive talent agent.

Jaa and Sahamonglol have been in dispute for the past two years, with Jaa insisting that the contract had expired, and Sahamongkol insisting that it had been renewed. The contractual dispute became public in 2013 when Jaa refused to do publicity for Sahamongkol’s “Tom Yum Goong 2” in which he starred. The film flopped badly, taking less than $2 million on its Thai release.

Despite the rupture with Sahamongkol and the unsettled dispute, Jaa took a supporting role in Baumgarten Management and Productions’ and SC International’s “Skin Trade”; and “Sha Po Lang 2: A Man Will Rise,” a big-budget Hong Kong action picture also starring Sammo Hung, from Hong Kong’s Bravos Pictures and Sun Entertainment Culture.

“Skin Trade,” which is directed by Thailand’s Ekachai Uekrongtham and features Dolph Lundgren, is set for release in North America by Magnolia Pictures and Magnet Releasing.

“SPL 2” is set for release in Thailand later in April.
    I am disappointed here for two reasons:
    #1. They knew they had a blockbuster, so no review screeners were offered (thus no official review on KungFuMagazine.com)
    #2. No one here on the forum has reviewed this for us yet. I do want to see it for Tony and Ronda, but I won't get the chance for a while as my schedule is rather tight for the next few weeks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi, Gene.

I plan to see it, hopefully soon, and will give some comments/a mini-review of it once I have. Unless someone beats me to it. Then I'll still comment on it.

Well, I managed to see it. I found it quite entertaining. This is only the second of the Fast & Furious franchise I've seen, the other being Fast Five. This won't be an in-depth review. In keeping with 'martial media', I'll briefly describe some of the action and fights.

As a respectful send off for the late Paul Walker, I thought it was excellently done.

However, I can't help but wonder, if Furious 7 had remained a Justin Lin film, if it would have been a better movie than by James Wan. I strongly believe in 'suspension of disbelief' when it comes to movies, but this one requires you to take it to another level. The action scenes are *extremely* exaggerated, to the point that they make Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon look tame and believable in comparison. People take enormous (i.e., fatal) amounts of punishment with barely a mark on them, and seem more indestructible than movie monsters like Jason Voorhees. The number one 'monster' in Furious 7 being Jason Statham. And people and cars defy the laws of physics in cartoonish ways.

Tony Jaa and Ronda Rousey's parts are actually quite small, especially Ronda's. They each look good in their small roles, but Tony does not seem as exceptional as he should. Part of it is the shaky photography during the fights. Ronda does look imposing. I foresee a lot of potential for her onscreen in the coming years (I never saw the last Expendables).

IMO, Jason Statham is very good as the arch-villain. Even better than as a good guy. And he doesn't even need to be a big guy to do it. All the better.

Dwayne Johnson, as usual, has the best one-liners, something that's been missing from American action movies for too many years. I get the impression he may have improvised a lot of those one-liners on the spot.

I think a showdown between Vin Diesel and Jason Statham is sort of a dream match between two Hollywood onscreen tough guys. This is probably the clearest fight of the movie.

Otherwise, it's a good escapist movie. It's pretty long at over 2 hours, but doesn't seem to drag at any point.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-09-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This is only the second of the Fast & Furious franchise I've seen, the other being Fast Five.
    You have to watch Tokyo Drift. It's a kung fu movie plot line, but with cars.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    You have to watch Tokyo Drift. It's a kung fu movie plot line, but with cars.
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out. From what I've heard, Tokyo Drift was actually out of order in the series, occurring after Fast Five.

$1 billion

What a haul.

Thanks for that first forum review Jimbo! Anyone else see this yet?

Box Office Milestone: 'Furious 7' Crosses $1 Billion

by Rebecca Ford
    4/17/2015 2:21pm PDT

In just 17 days, Furious 7 is crossing the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office.

It's a new record for the fastest climb to the major milestone. (The Avengers, Avatar and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 crossed $1 billion in 19 days.) Plus, the film is the first Universal project to make it to the $1 billion mark in its original run. (1993's Jurassic Park reached $1.044 billion after the 3D rerelease in 2013.)

Furious 7, directed by James Wan and starring Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Jason Statham and Ludacris, has propelled the Fast & Furious series past $3 billion worldwide ($3.392 billion).

“What started as a small film about the street racing sub-culture of East Los Angeles has become a global phenomenon with Furious 7 shattering records in so many territories around the globe,” said Duncan Clark, president, international distribution. “We’re thrilled to celebrate this accomplishment with our colleagues and distribution partners throughout the world, who have made these extraordinary results possible.”

Furious 7 has earned an estimated $735.2 million overseas in 17 days and an estimated $273.7 million in North America after 15 days. The film could go as high as $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion by the end of its run.

"We're incredibly proud to watch Fast & Furious take its place as the only original live-action franchise to reach these kinds of results at the box office," said Nick Carpou, president of domestic distribution. "Our cast, filmmakers and all of our Universal and Fast family deserve credit for working so hard to make Furious 7 a huge success, and we look forward to continuing to watch the film grow over the next few weeks."

The film's other records include the second-biggest worldwide opening of all time ($397.2 million) behind only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and the highest-grossing domestic ($147.2 million) and international ($250 million) openings in Universal history.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You'd figure they's share a little of that $1 billion

I've been hearing some grumblings about this. Always bad when your story makes it to TMZ.
    Furious 7
    Stunt Crew Furious
    We Got No Credit!

4/22/2015 9:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE

The Rock, Vin Diesel, and Paul Walker are all names you will see at the end of "Furious 7" ... problem is the people actually responsible for most of the adrenaline pumping action are irate because they were left out of the end credits.
    Sources directly connected with production tell us, the 2nd unit crew was responsible for all the major action ... including the parachuting car scene and the mountain road chase.
    We're told the stunt team members feel like they were "punched in the gut" when they realized 25 members of their team -- many of whom risked their lives -- were left out of the credits.
    And get this ... Paul Walker's 2nd unit stunt double -- who was inside a bus as it fell off a cliff -- was uncredited.
    We contacted Universal ... they told us they're looking into it.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It is ridiculous that they didn't credit the stunt people. The whole movie is a series of physical and/or CGI stunts. Especially considering how long end credits are nowadays, they credit everyone and everything, including every animal and anyone/anything even remotely related to the movie. Not crediting the stunt people is just insane. Maybe the filmmakers wanted to give the impression that the stars did all their own stunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    However, I can't help but wonder, if Furious 7 had remained a Justin Lin film, if it would have been a better movie than by James Wan. I strongly believe in 'suspension of disbelief' when it comes to movies, but this one requires you to take it to another level. The action scenes are *extremely* exaggerated, to the point that they make Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon look tame and believable in comparison.

[...]

Tony Jaa and Ronda Rousey's parts are actually quite small, especially Ronda's. They each look good in their small roles, but Tony does not seem as exceptional as he should.

Part of it is the shaky photography during the fights. Ronda does look imposing.

[...]

Otherwise, it's a good escapist movie. It's pretty long at over 2 hours, but doesn't seem to drag at any point.
    Saw it today. Good entertainment. Way over the top action. Guns, hotties, flying cars, fights, cars, hacking, guns, fights, hotties, drones, missiles, flying cars, hacking, grenades, guns, helicopters, fights, Dolby Surround Sound... Go see it.

Didn't like the Rousey Rodriguez action that much. Kind of tame compared to the rest of the movie.

Rousey and Rodriguez reminded me a little of Benny the Jet and Jackie Chan in Dragons Forever. And Rousey had the same eye make-up as Urquidez

Tony Jaa, that guy can move.

Still liked Tokyo Drift best for story. Furious 7 is definately the winner for insane action.

Glad they settled this

Sahamongkol withdraws lawsuit against Tony Jaa
    By Coconuts Bangkok July 7, 2015 / 16:13 ICT

The president of Sahamongkol Film International announced today he will withdraw the lawsuit filed against Tony Jaa over his role in “Fast & Furious 7.”

Studio mogul Somsak Techaratanaprasert, aka "Sia Jiang," said today he has instructed his lawyers to end litigation against Tony Jaa by withdrawing the case from the Civil Court.

In Sept. 2013 the studio first announced it would sue Tony, claiming the action star was in breach of contract by taking the role in the international blockbuster just after renewing an exclusive, 10-year contract with the Sahamongkol. In response the star sought through his lawyers to be released from the contract.

At the time, the company demanded THB1.6 billion compensation plus 7.5 percent interest, alleging the action star ditched the project "Ai Noom Kangnam" in which the company had invested THB26 million.

The lawsuit almost put the brakes on the March opening of Fast 7 in Thailand.

Without disclosing anything further, Somsak said the matter would be put to rest and Sahamongkol would focus on making its own blockbuster industry in Thailand.

"I got work to do too!" Somsak said.

Somsak said today he will give Tony Jaa his freedom to follow his dreams without any baggage, adding he is an old man himself and has forgiven the action star, whom he used to love like a son.

Sounds like good plot material for him to get started on those non-Naresuan, non-Ong Bak, non-Tum Yum Gung blockbusters.

Somsak said he hasn’t been in touch with Tony since the split but told Thairath, “We don’t have any conflicts anymore.
    I still haven't seen this movie. I guess I'm waiting for a VOD rent...or better yet, free.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips