Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batman vs Superman

the fight choreography...

...we'll need this angle just in case we get invited to a screener and review it.

‘Batman v Superman’ fight choreographer teases that epic battle
    By Chris Begley on January 19th, 2015 | @BatmanNewsCom

Guillermo Grispo has worked with director Zack Snyder on stunts and fight choreography for 300, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, and most recently, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. In a new interview with Spanish website Los Andes Diario, Grispo talks about working on the movie and teases that epic fight between Batman and Superman.

Unfortunately Google Translate did a terrible job, but Batman News comic reviewer Elena and readers Manu, Manuel, and Diego sent in translations of their own. Thanks to everyone who offered and helped me put together this great translation below.

How was it to prepare the fights between Batman and Superman?

I was fascinated. I’m telling you, for me, I like both of the characters, but Batman I really love. In 2007 I almost worked on the second part of Christopher Nolan’s trilogy, but ultimately questions about the contract were not resolved and it all fell apart [se me cayo el mundo is idiomatic]. Luckily, afterwards Zack brought Batman into this project, making it an origin of the Justice League. Which means being in charge of the entire franchise and all the sequels that will be Zack’s next projects.

And what role did you have in the film?

I prepared choreography for the stunt coordinator and second unit director, Damon Caro, who Zack has work with for years. I worked with them on 300, Sucker Punch and the first Superman Man of Steel, and in truth, those movies were my film school. To me, Zack is the biggest name in action films, and he is an expert, but at the same time he gives free reign for designing the fights and doing the editing. Also, I’m tasked [not a great word] with operating the camera for the action shot tests, doing the choreography, and afterwards all of the image composition for these kinds of sample action scenes.

What can you tell us the story?

Look, at Warner Bros., they are very strict, so I can’t say much, but it’s no surprise if I say Batman and Superman come face-to-face in the movie. It’s one of the most important sequences and I was actively involved in the design of the fight: the exchange of punches and the physical movement were put together with my partner Ryan Watson.

There’s a thought that Batman has no chance, that the other [Superman] will squash him like a bug. But when you see the movie, and how it all comes out, there’s a very intelligent explanation as to why they would have a firsthand confrontation though it seems to be totally to Batman’s disadvantage.

Sounds entertaining designing fights between superheroes…

Of course! Just imagine, it was like making dulce de leche (a similar thing to chocolate here in Argentina). Now Batman it’s going to fight the way I’ve always dreamed seeing him fight… he’s a character so prepared in martial arts that you can do a lot of things with him, but filmmakers usually don’t go all the way with it. Even in the last Nolan movies the action scenes aren’t very good from a technical, martial arts point of view to things like choreography, filming, bad camera movements…

But hey, don’t get me wrong, Nolan is great, my hats off to him. He makes fascinating stories, but I think that he did not pay too much attention to the fights. Those are the kind of details that Zack, being so physical himself, loves preparing. I think there’s going to be a big difference when you see these Batman fights in comparison to the previous ones.

What do you have to be careful about when preparing these scenes?

A lot of things… You can come and say “well, now I want to hit against that window and I want to break it” and you’re told “No, no, stop!”, because you can’t turn the camera here or there because of the lighting, or because there isn’t a digital extension prepared for a certain point.

For example, imagine a fight in Gotham exteriors: I say “well, on this scene I want an angle looking upwards when he’s kicking”, and I’m told “no, look, if you look upwards that take will cost the production $80,000 more because we will have to add the digital extension from the buildings to the clouds, so try something else because is cheaper” (laughs).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Batman VS Superman

Leaked teaser.
    http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2015/04/16/22349081.html

Featuring voice overs from Holly Hunter and Jesse Eisenberg (Lex Luthor), among others, the footage centers mostly on Superman's questionable place in the universe after "Man of Steel."

The citizens of Metropolis, amid chants and police altercations, appear to turn against Henry Cavill's character as a Superman statue has been spray painted "False God."

"Devils don't come from hell beneath us," Luthor says. "They come from the sky."

Before Ben Affleck is finally shown unmasked as Bruce Wayne, a man says off camera: "That's how it starts, the feeling, the powerlessness, that turns good men...cruel."

We then catch several brief glimpses of Batman, mostly in the dark, as the bat mobile later unleashes mayhem on the city before Batman and Superman meet face to face.
    My opinion:
    I knew they were gonna talk the "false god/savior" route ( though I hoped they wouldn't) so that isn't a surprise.
    I know some has said that I should give Assfleck the benefit of the doubt.

Meh...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

best superhero

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

Ben Affleck is the KISS OF DEATH to any franchise. They should have left him as Daredevil and for every movie he made as such, we could all pretend to be Matt Murdock and not see it. That way, he gets paid and we still maintain our standards of excellence.

mickey.

new trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That better not be Doomsday...

I've never been a big DC guy, but I did like Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.

I never saw Batman as even remotely a match for Superman in any type of battle. One of the reasons that Superman never appealed to me that much; he was TOO powerful, even moreso than Marvel's Hulk. I don't find a hero that's too powerful to be all that interesting or relatable. The other big issue I have with Superman is that his only 'disguise' is a pair of glasses, a suit, and a somewhat weak affect. Otherwise, he looks and sounds exactly the same, yet nobody can guess his 'secret' identity.

It looks like this might be worth watching, especially with the inclusion of Wonder Woman. My biggest issue with it is the casting of Ben Affleck. IMO, in his acting he comes across like a piece of cardboard. Then I can't see him as whatever character he's playing; I only see Ben Affleck.

March 25 for U.S. AND China

Looks like BMvsSM learned the lesson of KFP3.

"BATMAN V SUPERMAN" OPENING IN CHINA AND US ON THE SAME DAY
    Sat, February 6th, 2016 at 10:59am PST
    Anthony Couto, Assistant Editor

March 25 will be a big day for audiences around the globe, as it has been confirmed that "Batman v Superman" will open on the same day in China as it will in North America.

Jonathan Papish, Chinese Film Industry Analyst, made the announcement via Twitter:

China Box Office
    ‏@ChinaBoxOffice
    #ChinaBoxOffice @BatmanvSuperman will open simultaneously in China on Friday, March 25. #蝙蝠侠大战超人
    RETWEETS 87 LIKES 105
    ClaudiaRodrigoChsox203Stephanie #TeamWondyMaria Belen IBThe BatmanJoseph CobbRohan B.Trey #TeamSuperman
    7:28 AM - 5 Feb 2016
    In light of studios' growing interest in big overseas box office numbers, the China release date for movies has become a key factor in a blockbuster, like "Batman v Superman's," success.

Warners' "The Dark Knight Rises" and "Man of Steel" were both successful in China, earning $54.6 million and $63.4 million, respectively -- but the studio will no doubt be expecting sizeable box office numbers, considering their expectation that the film will launch into the DC Cinematic Universe.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" hits theaters on March 25.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've just seen the latest trailer and now I'm disappointed they ditched Keysi Fighting Method as Batman's fighting style.

Wsj

The Great Comic-Book Movie Debate
    ‘Batman v Superman’ is just the start of a complex battleplan. Is there room for DC?

ILLUSTRATION: SAM BOSMA
    By BEN FRITZ
    March 10, 2016 2:19 p.m. ET

‘Batman v Superman’ is another superhero sequel. It’s a clash of cultural icons. It’s about the politics of military intervention and terrorism. It’s inspired by W.H. Auden and Umberto Eco. It’s the highest-stakes movie produced by a Hollywood studio since James Cameron’s “Avatar.”

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” opening March 25, is all these things and more: a 2½-hour, $250 million collection of Hollywood contradictions that could rise above the din of comic book adaptations or sink under its own bloated weight.

On its face, the movie seems like the most cynical of exercises: How to follow up 2013’s “Man of Steel,” which received mixed critical reviews, mixed reactions from fans and mixed results at the box office? (With $668 million being, by big-budget superhero standards, not all that impressive these days.)

The answer: Make the follow-up even bigger! Bring back Batman, last seen in Christopher Nolan’s 2012, trilogy-ending “The Dark Knight Rises.” Cast Ben Affleck as the caped crusader! Make them fight! But why just two superheroes? Let’s introduce Wonder Woman! And give brief glimpses of characters like Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash, who will soon get their own movies.

Superman will be flying across movie screens once again when "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" hits theaters on March 25. The film is the latest entry in the Man of Steel's legacy on television and in the movies. Photo: Warner Bros.
    It’s not just a sequel and not just a superhero Battle Royal. It’s the launch of a new “cinematic universe,” Hollywood-speak for a series of interconnected movies in which characters coexist and stories interweave. Disney’s Marvel pioneered the concept to great success and now Warner Bros. has boldly announced 10 DC movies to be released over the next five years.

All of those films flow out of the plot and characters established in “Batman v Superman.” If any of them are going to work, and Warner’s multibillion-dollar plan is to succeed, this one has to be a hit.

“While each movie stands alone, they’re all part of one long arc of storytelling,” said producer Charles Roven.
    No pressure, in other words.

“Batman v Superman” comes amid hints that audiences are tiring of traditional superhero films. The last two releases were August’s mega-flop “Fantastic Four” and last month’s surprise blockbuster “Deadpool,” which succeeded by sending up every convention of the genre.

THE DC FRANCHISE: READY FOR LAUNCH

3/25: “Batman v Superman”
    8/5: “Suicide Squad”

6/23: Wonder Woman
    11/17: Justice League Part 1

Flash | Aquaman

Shazam | Justice League Part 2

Cyborg | Green Lantern Corps
    Undated but in development: Batman movie to be directed by Ben Affleck
    In contrast to “Deadpool,” “Batman v Superman” is deadly serious, continuing a pattern set in “Batman Begins” of trying to ground DC movies in what Warner production chief Greg Silverman calls “the big emotions of the human experience.” “Fun” and “family-friendly” won’t be the first words most people use after seeing a film that’s more revenge tragedy than brainless slugfest.

Still, audience interest is strong two weeks ahead of the picture’s debut, with research indicating it will open to about $140 million— perhaps slightly above the minimum Warner needs to declare it a bona fide blockbuster.

When kicking off the equivalent of a five-year plan, one might expect the studio to keep a dictatorial grip on the creative process. But though it’s the industry’s biggest studio, Warner has also earned a reputation as the most accommodating to filmmakers.

It’s the studio that last year allowed George Miller to soar with “Mad Max: Fury Road” and the Wachowskis to crash and burn with “Jupiter Ascending.” It has been the home of “Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder for a decade, through hits like “300” and flops like “Sucker Punch.”

From left, Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck and director Zack Snyder on the set of ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ PHOTO: WARNER BROS. PICTURES

On “Batman v Superman,” Warner paired Mr. Snyder with Chris Terrio, the “brilliant, brilliant, complicated”—in the words of Mr. Roven—Oscar-winning writer of “Argo,” who did a major rewrite of the script (he shares credit with “Man of Steel” writer David Goyer).

Mr. Terrio is a former student of British literature and phenomenology who dropped out of a masters program at Cambridge University to study film. On his first big-budget movie, he cites as influences not just Frank Miller’s seminal comic-book miniseries “The Dark Knight Returns” (which features its own Batman-Superman battle) and Mr. Nolan’s trilogy of Batman films. He also invokes Italian semiotician Umberto Eco’s 1972 essay “The Myth of Superman” and the W.H. Auden poem “Musée des Beaux Arts,” which contrasts the quotidian details of normal people’s lives with the epic struggles of mythological figures.

“Given the scale, you would think the whole thing has a corporate stench, but the way we worked there was this quality of, ‘I can’t believe they’re letting us do this,’ ” Mr. Terrio said.

Watch the film trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," starring Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck. Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures
    The screenwriter went to great lengths to establish the movie’s titular conflict as more than the traditional comic-book gimmick of two superheroes tricked by a villain.

“Batman v Superman’s” opening sequence replays the final moments of “Man of Steel,” a sky-high brawl between Superman and Kryptonian villain General Zod, from the perspective of a civilian on the ground: Bruce Wayne.

In the 2012 movie, the scene was widely panned for portraying Superman as too violent and unconcerned about collateral damage. Mr. Affleck’s character agrees, drawing implicit comparisons to military drones and even 9-11 as he impotently watches the destruction of a Wayne Enterprises building in which his employees are maimed and die.

The likening of Henry Cavill’s Superman to a self-righteous military interventionist continues when he rescues Amy Adams’s Lois Lane from a reporting trip gone wrong in Africa. He is blamed for more collateral damage there.

Mr. Affleck’s Batman, on the other hand, makes Christian Bale’s version of the character in Mr. Nolan’s movies look like a pushover. A grizzled 40-something who seems on the verge of retirement, death or a mental breakdown, he literally brands enemies with the symbol of a bat and scares police as much as criminals. Clark Kent accuses him of a “reign of terror” in Gotham City.

“In superhero stories, Batman is Pluto, god of the underworld, and Superman is Apollo, god of the sky,” observed Mr. Terrio. “That began to be really interesting to me—that their conflict is not just due to manipulation, but their very existence.”

“Batman v Superman” is still an “event” movie, meaning it features plenty of over-the-top action scenes, shot in Mr. Snyder’s trademark hyper-stylized manner. It also features an uber-bad guy in the form of Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor, reimagined as a young tech billionaire who can’t stand being upstaged by superheroes: Think Mark Zuckerberg (whom Mr. Eisenberg played in “The Social Network”) with a psychopathic streak.

Israeli actress Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, meanwhile, is a centuries-old mythological heroine who is drawn into Batman and Superman’s conflict. Like every superhero here, she already exists in the world—so no origin story is needed.

From left, Henry Cavill, Gal Godot and Ben Affleck in a scene from ‘Batman v Superman’ PHOTO: WARNER BROS. PICTURES

“If you bring in a character in a kinetic way, then you accept the reality more easily,” said Mr. Terrio.

The same approach will largely be followed in future DC films, said Mr. Roven. August’s “Suicide Squad” features a team of veteran villains. While next year’s Wonder Woman flashes back to the superheroine’s early days, 2018’s “Flash” and “Aquaman” will continue the characters’ stories from team-up movie “Justice League,” which opens in November of 2017.

The end of “Batman v Superman” provides a natural starting point for “Justice League,” but the DC movies are not as tightly woven as those made by Marvel.

“The artists are all communicating with each other,” said Mr. Silverman. “I think if you have a studio dictating where you’re going to be in six or seven years, the movies lose some of their magic.”

Mr. Terrio recently finished his script for “Justice League,” which starts shooting next month, giving him a key role defining the big- screen versions of DC superheroes. To prepare, the writer says he studied red- and blueshifts in electromagnetic physics to think about the Flash, investigated deep sea biology in the Mariana trench to create the world of Aquaman and read the Greek historian Diodorus of Sicily’s account of the war between Amazon and Atlantis to better understand Wonder Woman.

“If you told me the most rigorous dramaturgical and intellectual product of my life would be superhero movies, I would have said you were crazy,” the screenwriter said.
    I actually read a Batman vs. Superman comic. No Wonder Woman however...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I still get a laugh about the criticisms of Man of Steel.
    As if ONE super powered being could somehow minimize collateral damage while fighting 3.
    I guess saving 7 billion people doesn't mean as much as it used too, LOL !

I actually read a Batman vs. Superman comic. No Wonder Woman however...
    I personally think it is a mistake to being in WW, it harks to the days of Batman when he and Robin aced multiple enemies and all that silliness.
    Reeks of poor storytelling.

The comic was very pro Batman ( since it was a Batman comic, this makes sense) and had some pretty weak storylines.

I think it was handled better in the HUSH mini-series.

In China

Wonder if DC will be smart enough to give PRC some nods just like Iron Man 3 did to bolster sales there.

FRI, 11 MARCH 2016 AT 6:45 PM
    Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill Kick Off Press Tour in China!

Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill attend a press conference for their upcoming movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on Friday (March 11) in Beijing, China.

The co-stars were joined by the film’s director Zack Snyder to kick off their press tour for the new superhero film.

Ben recently spoke to Entertainment Weekly and opened up about how his Batman differs from the ones in past movies.

“What I wanted was to create a Batman that was sort of at the end of his rope physically and psychologically and emotionally, a guy who was beaten down by the world, a guy who was a little bit more of a slugger, who has more gray in his hair, and who was questioning whether the whole journey that he lived as Batman was in fact even worth it, given that he was not superhero, but now had to face a super-being, which none of the other Batmans had to confront in the movie world,” Ben said.

“It’s an interesting thing to combine, because in the Nolan Batmans, which are the defining Batmans — so magnificent — there are no other superheroes,” he added. “It’s just this guy. He never has to reconcile who he is with this idea that there are all these other people who can do these supernatural things. Having to confront that and having to deal with that is my contribution to the character.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There have been a few

Which BATMAN v SUPERMAN comic/story?

Saw the screener last night with Design Sifu...

...we'll have an exclusive review on KFM this week. We are under embargo until the premiere this Friday, so in good faith, we can't give out any spoilers. But I will say this - Wonder Woman is a wonderful sword hottie.

Meanwhile...
    Batman V Superman' star Gal Gadot: Men obsessed with Wonder Woman's breasts
    Published March 23, 2016 news.com.au

Gal Gadot arrives for the European Premiere of "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" in Leicester Square in London, Britain, March 22, 2016. REUTERS/Luke MacGregor - RTSBRZB
    Batman. Superman. Iron Man. Spider-Man. Ant-Man. It’s fair to say that the superhero film phenomenon that has dominated the box office for the past decade has overwhelmingly been a boys’ club.

Sure, there have been characters such as Black Widow, Catwoman and the Scarlet Witch, but they have inevitably been supporting characters to the titular heroes.

Gal Gadot wants to change all that. While the character she plays, Wonder Woman, is one of the smaller players in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, she’s one of the biggest deals in DC comic book universe — and makes one hell of an impression.

Next year Gadot will be one of the first females to headline her own major superhero movie, a Wonder Woman origin story currently filming in Europe, beating Marvel’s announced but uncast Captain Marvel to the punch by a couple of years. And it’s about **** time.

“I couldn’t agree more,” says the Israeli actor with a laugh. “Why has it taken so long? I’m not the one to ask this question. But I am definitely pleased with the fact that we are bringing Wonder Woman back to life and I think it is such an important thing for young girls — and boys — to have a strong female role model. The more the merrier and I hope we are starting a trend here.

“Ever since I became an actress I said I wanted to show the stronger side of women. Little did I know that soon after I would land this part.”

Gender inequality has been a hot topic in Hollywood in recent times, dragged into the spotlight by Patricia Arquette’s Oscar acceptance speech last year as well as the Sony hacking scandal that highlighted the disparity in pay between similarly qualified male and female actors.

Gadot, a beauty queen and model turned actor who also spent two years in the Israeli army, says she has been lucky so far, but that there is still a lot of work to be done.

“We definitely need more female writers and moviemakers and I truly believe we are in such an interesting era for women in all fields of life,” she says. “There is a good, good, good momentum for women and I hope that it will continue going and the more we have the better.”

But illustrating the point that Gadot is a trailblazing woman operating in a very blokey world was the internet reaction upon her casting as Wonder Woman. Of all the fantastical aspects of the long-running, beloved character, what was singled out for the most rigorous scrutiny?

Gadot’s boobs, which apparently needed to be bigger.

“You know, men,” Gadot says with a laugh and just hint of exasperation. “Every one of them is obsessed with breasts. Honestly, it amused me. It was funny for me that it’s such an amazing character and all they have to critique is her bust. Me, as a person, I try not to pay too much attention to all the noise that comes when I get cast for something. Even if it’s good or even if it’s bad — because one day it’s good and the other day it’s bad, so I’d rather not pay attention to either.”

Wonder Woman aka Diana Prince — a 5000-year-old Amazonian warrior princess from the fictional island of Themyscira — first appeared in DC Comics in 1942 and has been published almost continuously since then. But Gadot’s incarnation in Batman V Superman is far from the cheesy 1970s TV series starring Lynda Carter that most people think of as Wonder Woman.

Born in 1985, Gadot is too young to remember Carter with her star-spangled hot pants and magic lasso. But the actor insists hers is a Wonder Woman for the world. On landing on the part, she had more than 75 years of comic book lore to draw on, as well as centuries of Greek mythology.

“This Wonder Woman is very different to the Wonder Woman you saw in the TV series back in the ’70s,” she says. “We are very loyal to the original story. Diana came from Themyscira, an island, she knows hundreds of languages, she has been around for 5000 years. (Director) Zack Snyder had a vision of the Wonder Woman he wanted to bring back and what story he wanted to tell. I had to come on board and embody everything and give my own notes and input and go for it.

“She is universal — she’s not just for women or girls, she’s not just for America or the Middle East, this is a Wonder Women for everyone.”

Gadot initially thought she was auditioning for the part of Selina Kyle (aka Catwoman) when she was asked to read with the new Batman, Ben Affleck.

She was chosen from hundreds of hopefuls and is said to have narrowly beaten out former Bond Girl Olga Kurylenko and French actor Elodie Yung, who plays Elektra in the Netflix TV series Daredevil.

“When we met Gal Gadot, it was unanimous among us that she was special, that she personified Wonder Woman,” says producer Deborah Snyder. “And as we got to know her and saw how she interacted with everyone, we knew that she was the right fit. Wonder Woman represents love and truth and sexual equality. Gal really embodies those characteristics.”

Gadot also had to look the part: she gained 8kg of muscle and trained in Kung Fu, jiu-jitsu and sword play. She already had some action chops thanks to her appearances as revhead Gisele in the Fast and Furious franchise, not to mention the two years she spent as a combat instructor in the Israel Defence Forces, but still she endured nine months of gruelling training to nail the physicality of the character.

“In the Fast and Furious movies I had to go through a different type of preparation,” she says. “It was about knowing how to do drifting with a car and how to use weapons etc. In this one, Wonder Woman is a warrior and she does hand to hand combat so I needed to learn different types of martial arts and how to fight with a sword and how to ride a horse and it was great. It was fun.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips