Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would your wing chun work if..

would your wing chun work if..

..it was common knowledge in the way that styles of boxing are?

I know a lot of wing chun really doesn't work at all, but a minority do make it effective. How much of this is the element of surprise though? Do you think your wing chun would be easy to work out and counter if it was well known?

Blog Entries

When you throw right jab and left cross, your opponent uses left comb hair, right comb hair, and close in. What will you do after that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRQ0-x9hdk
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

When you throw right jab and left cross, your opponent uses left comb hair, right comb hair, and close in. What will you do after that?
    I would mess up his hair. Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post

I know a lot of wing chun really doesn't work at all, but a minority do make it effective. How much of this is the element of surprise though? Do you think your wing chun would be easy to work out and counter if it was well known?
    No. WCK adapts to the circumstance. What is there to "work out"?

WC probably wouldn't work against someone who was familiar with it and was also proficient in an effective fighting style. I guess that's one argument for keeping the sparring clips secret.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    WC probably wouldn't work against someone who was familiar with it and was also proficient in an effective fighting style. I guess that's one argument for keeping the sparring clips secret.
    A popular MMA fighter with a distinct style like Lyoto Machida or Anderson Silva can win lots of fights, even when people have recorded footage of his fights to watch and "work out." So having an idea of what someone might do doesn't necessarily mean they can deal with it when it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Changing threads?

Depends on the fighterŪ
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    A popular MMA fighter with a distinct style like Lyoto Machida or Anderson Silva can win lots of fights, even when people have recorded footage of his fights to watch and "work out." So having an idea of what someone might do doesn't necessarily mean they can deal with it when it happens!
    Of course that's true, but lack of knowledge can be a huge advantage. That's what happened when BJJ got introduced to most of the world back in the 80's/90's. BJJ is still effective, but it's not the trump card it used to be.

A system that is less effective will need this surprise element even more.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post

common knowledge in what sense??? Most people learn wing chun for the street and self defense do you really think a would be mugger is going to scout you on you tube before picking on you, or check out the various different arts someone might know just on the off chance a target hits a martial arts stance? And do you really think people can't pick up how a chunner wil react based on the clips steady out there of the forms applications and various chi Sao exercises, do you really stand react and respond THAT differently in sparring than when drilling....because if you do then what's the point of all that drilling......
    Last edited by Frost; 08-30-2013 at 03:25 AM.

A train fighter who has competed and sparred various styles of fighting will be more skilled at fighting that a wing chun guy who doesnt fight outside the kwoon.

My point: a WC guy who has competed and has fought in the streets as well as has sparred different people who train different diciplines of martial arts would be more adept to being able to hand a trained fighter!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries

No body has responded to my concern yet. When you use "chain punch", your opponent uses "over hook" to wrap your arm, what will you do at that moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWjc...ature=youtu.be

You may not train "arm wrap" but you just can't prevent your opponent from doing that to you. How to deal with it should also be part of your concern.

Please notice that your "forward pressure" will give your opponent a chance to do that because you move into him and he doesn't have to move into you. You are helping him to close the distance. That will save 50% of his effort because he doesn't have to worry about his footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRQ0-x9hdk
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-30-2013 at 07:56 AM.

John,

Why do you think your case is applicable to Wck?

What do you do to counter?

No body has responded to my concern yet. When you use "chain punch", your opponent uses "over hook" to wrap your arm, what will you do at that moment?

You may not train "arm wrap" but you just can't prevent your opponent from doing that to you. How to deal with it should also be part of your concern.

Please notice that your "forward pressure" will give your opponent a chance to do that because you move into him and he doesn't have to move into you. You are helping him to close the distance. That will save 50% of his effort because he doesn't have to worry about his footwork.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    John,

Why do you think your case is applicable to Wck?

What do you do to counter?
    Why not?

- How can you prevent that from happening?
    - What will be your solution when it happens?

If my opponent does that to me (as showing in the following clip),

I would:

- use my right arm to under hook his left shoulder (If he wants my right arm, I will give him more than he can handle),
    - use my left arm to wrap around his right arm (now I'm applying his method back on him so his right hand can't punch me),
    - step in my left leg (to generate momentum),
    - use my right leg to jam his left leg, jam his right leg, and block his right leg (along with his left leg),
    - push his upper body (to his right),
    - pull his legs (to his left), and
    - take him down (to his right).

Would like to hear some WC solutions on this since we are in the thread of "would your wing chun work if.. "

What will you do if one of your arms is controlled by your opponent (his hand controls your elbow joint, his armpit holds on your wrist) that you can't pull it back (as showing in the following picture)?

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/4088/armwrap1.png
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-30-2013 at 01:41 PM.

WC has no answer to this because WC has no clinch work.