Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
... Do you think that rejection of the large frame in favor of close range decreases the potential for conditioning?...
SKM
Yes, I do. For example the long range chyun, paau and kahp are excellent early training methods because they not only demand elasticity and develop range of motion but the different vectors challenge your balance in different ways. You soon learn to compensate by developing the strength and awareness to counter those forces.

When you practice chyun it is easy to send your mass over the toes. I occasionally will brush a student's wrist forward near the end of a front punch. Eventually he learns to find his center and not stagger off balance. With paau, the mass is thrown back toward the heels. I will tap the elbow as the arm is on its way up to help a student be aware of this. Kahp cheui, done properly, is the most stable. However it leaves the head exposed to danger if you lean too much with the technique.

It is hard for me to imagine that this skill can become a conditioned response as quickly when working with less commitment of force at shorter range.