Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sport competition and self defense environments...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    LaRoux,
    The video you posted involves a different type of violence, and hence a different dynamic.
    It is not a criminal assault, but a form of social violence.

Miller describes this type of violence as including "ritualized jockeying for territory or status. It also includes acts to prove or increase group solidarity (a powerful side-effect of hunting as a team) and violence to enforce the rules and mores of the group."

Asocial violence, on the other hand, "...does not target the victim as a person, but as a resource. Asocial violence is the domain of the predator and the humanity of his victim does not enter into the equation."

The two have a much different dynamic.
    Sean, thanks for this informative post. It addresses a big part of what I was getting at. Whether the violence you confront is social or asocial, a pure self-defense perspective begins with awareness and avoidance.

If the violence is social in nature, by knowing the rules and refusing to get caught up in the "monkey dance" a potential victim may be able to de-escalate and ultimately avoid being engaged in a violent encounter. Someone who approaches the same situation with a competitive, "gotta win" attitude will fall right into the monkey dance. This is the point some here don't seem to get.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    What is incredibly naive is to assume that a "criminal assault" will never have similarities to a ring fight.
    It rarely has much similarity to a ring fight. The person hitting first usually wins. Sparring with rules is a step in preparation but once you have gone through this, working up to no gloves, the most important prep for real street assault is more role playing and acting than physical fighting skill training. It is learning to read situations and build awareness, learning when to act and when to watch, building your memory of similar situations to create situational awareness and promote protective behaviour choice. The final step is of course to put yourself in dangerous situations. Door work is a favourite for this but it can go much further.

Disregard everything said above (other than the advocacy of Rory Miller) and visit this site:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

and read Strong on Defense, by Sanford Strong.

Then read Matt Thornton's "Street vs Sport" essays.

According to the CDC you're several thousand times times more likely to die of lifestyle-related heart disease than from a violent assault, so you might want to consider the relative risks in considering the purposes of your training.

Peace out.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Disregard everything said above (other than the advocacy of Rory Miller) and visit this site:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/
    The approach advocated by that site appears very similar to that put forward by Sean, myself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    The approach advocated by that site appears very similar to that put forward by Sean, myself and others.
    Good to see you jumping on the right bandwagon.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Good to see you jumping on the right bandwagon.
    The bandwagon jumped on me. That site looks decent but pretty standard in SD terms

The bandwagon jumped on me. That site looks decent but pretty standard in SD terms
    Now if only it had PBWSLVT it would be above standard

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Now if only it had PBWSLVT it would be above standard
    Really here are a lot of people to go to before PB for reality based self defence training! PB deals with a different thing. If you want SD training go to the experts.

Really here are a lot of people to go to before PB for reality based self defence training! PB deals with a different thing. If you want SD training go to the experts.
    That was a (poor) joke......... if only PBWSLVT taught sarcasm awareness as well!!

According to the CDC you're several thousand times times more likely to die of lifestyle-related heart disease than from a violent assault, so you might want to consider the relative risks in considering the purposes of your training.
    Anerlich: Good info ...and good job on steering this thread in a positive direction.

One comment about the quote above. Since according to the article on the page you referred us to, most physical violence is personal, involving someone you know... most is not avoidable crime but fighting, with mutual escalation and shared blame. And although death from assault may be rare, fighting is not.

And I might add, that although most such fights with associates, co-workers and even family members may not result in death or severe injury, the life consequences can be really severe ...a career destroyed, family life ruined, lawsuits, criminal charges, jail time and the like. So the old "awareness, avoidance and de-escalation" approach is something to take seriously.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    That was a (poor) joke......... if only PBWSLVT taught sarcasm awareness as well!!
    I know it was a joke, I thought answering as if it wasn't was more useful

I know it was a joke, I thought answering as if it wasn't was more useful
    Ahhhhh, no wasted movement hey?

The bandwagon jumped on me.
    Quite the ego there, bub.

That site looks decent but pretty standard in SD terms
    Yeah, that's what's good about it, rather than a bunch of WC guys with "deep insights" into RBSD.

Thanks for the link Anerlich. Excellent stuff.

Yeah, that's what's good about it, rather than a bunch of WC guys with "deep insights" into RBSD.
    It maybe would have helped to read the thread first