Thread: Comparison of Hung Gar's Iron Wire Form Across Different Lineages

Comparison of Hung Gar's Iron Wire Form Across Different Lineages

I was wondering has anyone ever tried comparing the various versions of Iron Wire across the different lineages of Hung Gar (i.e. Lam Sai Wing, Tang Fong, Chiu Kao, etc.)? My Hung Gar sifu, who belongs to the Tang Fong/ Frank Yee line, says that his form has 6 sections. Do Lam Sai Wing and Chiu Kao's versions also have 6 sections?
    Are the movements the same in all versions?

too many variations out there even within the same lineage and even amongst classmates.

I've seen at least 3 versions coming out of Yee Sifu's school alone.

Lam family has 8 sections: Central, right, left, right, left, right, left, central.

To be candid, I have seen only about 3-5 TSK versions that I liked and I know that even some of the famous Masters have learned it from a book, watching their Si Hing or did not even learn it at all.

Some variations look almost the same, but they are very different, other may look very different, but the principles and concepts are the same.
    Last edited by PM; 09-17-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

I ever made it anywhere close to the iron wire when I trained in the hung style, but I always loved to watch it. I have seen many variations as well, but hey, nothing wrong with that. With this form though, I would assume if the internal is different, then there's a problem. So yeah...that's from a complete outsiders opinion and I look forward to the conversation.

It seems this happens alot with different styles.

Does the iron wire form use similar ideas to sam chien?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    It seems this happens alot with different styles.

Does the iron wire form use similar ideas to sam chien?

Paul
    Yes. Dynamic tension is a strong focus in these sets.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

What happens at times is that a given Master may "tinker" with some "minor points", such as how much ( or how little) movement is done by the legs.
    Some IW forms basically stay in the same place while others move forward.
    This could be because the Master may not have had enough "room" in his class OR perhaps He thought it was a good idea to shorten the distance so that the student could do it "anywhere".
    Sometimes the sequences are different and again, that may be because a given master may have personally preferred that and passed it on to his students.

It is the principles behind that form that matter, not so much the sequence and so forth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

TSK can be performed in many ways. I'm sure the regular practicioners of the form will say the same; each time you play TSK you can put the focus differently. Power, relaxation, martial applications or health. Its always a mix of these, but depending on your mood of the day, and the focus/bias of your sifu, it will be different from yesterday's TSK or the next lineage.

That does not mean I play the internals differently, just the focus is different. And I dont think internal is any magical btw. Its just a mix of using different muscles, body structure, twisting and coiling to bring out the power and/or develop the body. This is the stuff you need a sifu for which is not explained in books. And proper breathing techniques to prevent the accumulation of too many hormones which seriously f*cks you up. Proper TSK should be relaxing and uplifting, instead of tiring and leaving you feel all pumped up.
    This last paragraph might be done entirely different in different lineages also, you take a guess why

Oh, 8 section: front, right & left, right & left, right & left, front.
    Last edited by Asmo; 09-17-2013 at 01:01 AM.