Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have .......

How many of you have .......

Another one I'm going to throw out there for discussion (Hopefully!):

How many of you have actually met or trained with the current head of your association, school and or style?

Is it important to do so???

If not, do you train under one of their representatives?

Are you a member of an Association/style whose chief instructor is someone you have never met?

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

In Go Ju Ryu I met and trained with the head of our association.

Under most Kung Fu instructors we had no formal association or internal hierarchy.
    Under one Kung Fu instructor who was under a formal association, I met and trained with the head of the association.

In Muay Thai there was no concern for associations and lineages, (although in the States there is so much questionable/fake MT I am sure there will be as much bureaucracy as in Kung Fu/Karate.) Now many say a belt means nothing, but bestow MT rank with "level" awards and call themselves "Arjan."

There is no need to train with a head of an association/organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I trained directly with my Sifu(s) and would practice with my SiHing(s).
    We didn't have an "association". We were a club more than anything.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I trained directly with my Sifu(s) and would practice with my SiHing(s).
    We didn't have an "association". We were a club more than anything.
    This. Never even met my teacher's teachers.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Most styles don't have a "Head" of anything. All you can hope for is possible to meet your Sigung and your Sifu's classmates, but even that was very rare in the past, especially here in the USA.

today with the mass dispersion of styles, organizations have been created to handle this. Just look at the Shaolin Temple they've all ready jumped 4-6 generations of disciples that its almost impossible to tract them all.

Instead of just training to acquire skills there is a trend to jump around meeting and training with ones Uncles or Grand Teachers, some even like to do what has been tagged "lineage Jumping". So they can position themselves higher in the lineage. Just plain ego pumping with alot going towards $$$ gaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    Another one I'm going to throw out there for discussion (Hopefully!):

How many of you have actually met or trained with the current head of your association, school and or style?

Is it important to do so???

If not, do you train under one of their representatives?

Are you a member of an Association/style whose chief instructor is someone you have never met?

In light of recent discussions the motivation here is kind of obvious, but I'll bite.

My Shifu is the current head of our association, so yeah, I've trained with him.
    He also travels to the few other schools in our small association at least once or twice a year, so pretty much everyone has met and trained with him to at least a small degree.

Is it important? To me it is...but he's my teacher. I've studied with a number of teachers now, both within my family and outside of it, and I like my teacher's instruction the best--but that's a matter of personal preference. It is good to experience different teachers and it can provide a lot of insight to meet your teacher's teacher, but it isn't of critical importance.

A generation back: My teacher's original kung fu teacher (he has since studied with several other teachers), actually was/is the head/founder of a big international association. It's not so big anymore, but still has a few branches. My teacher split off from this association to do his own thing, but they have remained on excellent terms. My teacher's teacher still comes to my school once or twice a year to do seminars. My teacher has also passed a few of his students on to his original teacher for further training. And I've been out to eat (and have a beer) with my teacher's teacher on a couple of occasions.

How important is this? Not terribly important...but definitely a valuable experience. Every teacher/seminar has its own emphasis; it's a chance to learn something you wouldn't learn otherwise. Mostly though, it's just nice to meet the older members of the family and get more of a sense of where you come from.

For the OP : Meeting/training with the head of your association might not be critical, but training with SOMEONE from the association is. Otherwise it's just a name with nothing behind it.

For what it's worth: My teacher's first teacher has actually been accused of being a fraud before. Totally political. Anyone who trains with him or his students can see plainly that it's for real. When it's real, it's obvious. Skill proves lineage, lineage doesn't prove skill.

My Sifu is David Chin, so I'm learning from the appointed head of the Harry Ng hop gar system and the Kuo Yuen Ling original yang style tai chi as well. I'm a very blessed man.

Is it important? In my mind it helps. But then again that might just be in my situation. The Grandmaster of these styles himself only lives 30 minutes away from me. So again, I'm very blessed.

If you train with your Sifu, then that is who you train with. I don't get why it would even be a question. If you have a real teacher, then that is who you train with.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...?t=1321&page=2http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...?t=1321&page=2
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 09-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    This. Never even met my teacher's teachers.
    I know my sigung but have not trained with him. Because he's 1500 miles away for one thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As a Shaolin layman disciple, this doesn't quite apply.

I've met with the Abbot many times. He is gracious enough to provide an exclusive interview with me for our annual Shaolin specials. But I've never trained with him. Shaolin Temple is massive and the Abbot don't roll that way.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ... the Abbot don't roll that way.
    I laughed out loud at the idea of the abbot rolling...

It's so nice to not have to be chastised for that. hee hee...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oh he rolls allright. Nice and plump guy they got there. I saw some early photos of him training and well he was not your average wuseng by any means. Too many trips to the rice bowl.

I'm going to see him again next month

I'm going to shut up about this now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I trained with Jerry Poteet, but Bruce Lee has been long dead before I started training.

Been trying to make it to SF to meet up with him. Maybe someday.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"