Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training Contact WC with Bare Knuckles -- Nothing to do with WC vs. Systema!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    As far as the clip that Grumblegeezer posted....looked like lots of "flailing" and not a lot of technique.
    Clearly in the video I posted they have some things to work on, but in that one all they did was flail around, tangle up and fall over together... which apparently is what Glenn prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    In all honesty? Alright... Why?
    Because the guys in the first one are going 100% with no head gear and they aren't stopping. The first one is 10x more realistic.

Clearly in the video I posted they have some things to work on, but in that one all they did was flail around, tangle up and fall over together... which apparently is what Glenn prefers.
    In the one you posted, they weren't going 100% and kept stopping once someone got in trouble. Much less realistic in terms of what really happens.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

The problem I see with the whole idea of "gearing up" for sparring....once you are in the gear, people tend to revert to a boxing mentality and a lot of the carefully trained WCK techniques go out the window.
    That has very little to do with gearing up and everything to do with upping the intensity.

In all honesty? Alright... Why?
    Well for all the reasons the other posters have mentioned.

Ultimately, the guy in the 1st post looks like he can fight using his WC (there was stuff id didnt like in his clip as well) ,and the second lot really looked liked they would struggle if the intensity was raised one notch.

And as one of the guys said, when one started throwing some jabs (poor ones at that) there was little ability to deal with them.

Having said that, sparring is about learning, and maybe they were just trying different things at a different pace

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Ultimately, the guy in the 1st post looks like he can fight using his WC
    Really? All he did was stand in front of the guy and wildly chain punch until they tangled up and the guy fell over, then chained punch some more. Had they really been hitting each other he would have eaten quite a few in exchange.

At :48 after he tried to muscle the guy for a takedown he ended up on his back and would have been screwed if the guy knew ground fighting and took side control. What was his response from the ground? Chain punch!

There was intensity, which is good, but I didn't see much skill.

That being said, the two clips can't really be compared on that level. They were obviously at a different stage of development in training with different goals in mind. And while there was plenty for them to work on in the second clip, they at least did more than chain punching.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Looks ok but don't like the tendency to tense up and hold the head back and chin up [...]
    This seems to be so common in Wing Chun. Why do you think people do this guy_b? A desire to be or travel on top of the opponents arms? Something engendered through mis-practicing 'standing straight' in SLT?

Really? All he did was stand in front of the guy and wildly chain punch until they tangled up and the guy fell over, then chained punch some more. Had they really been hitting each other he would have eaten quite a few in exchange.
    Sure, it was a bit busy. But i know which of the guys id least like to spar..... thats Mr Chain punch

At :48 after he tried to muscle the guy for a takedown he ended up on his back and would have been screwed if the guy knew ground fighting and took side control. What was his response from the ground? Chain punch!
    Yep, that part was crap

There was intensity, which is good, but I didn't see much skill.
    Its WC... what were you hoping to see?.
    If can occupy the centre and blast through then why do more than that... he did that

That being said, the two clips can't really be compared on that level. They were obviously at a different stage of development in training with different goals in mind.
    True

And while there was plenty for them to work on in the second clip, they at least did more than chain punching.
    Yeh, they jabbed

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    That's not wslpbvt sparring... Not even close.
    It did say VT sparring at the start of the clip, and the guy is from a PBVT teacher, no?
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Its WC... what were you hoping to see?.
    If can occupy the centre and blast through then why do more than that... he did that
    He won each mini-round because he eventually overwhelmed the guy with his chain punching. Had they actually been hitting each other, either one of them could have been caught with the big one.

I would like to have seen more affecting the opponent's facing to reduce his countering ability, rather than just exchanging blows and whoever is faster or lands a lucky shot first wins. I like to have better odds. I think WC should accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    This seems to be so common in Wing Chun. Why do you think people do this guy_b? A desire to be or travel on top of the opponents arms? Something engendered through mis-practicing 'standing straight' in SLT?
    Lack of understanding or lack of belief or lack of practice in the wing chun method for avoiding being hit in the face by the opponent I would say. Even "good" people do it though. Maybe it is an inherent problem with wing chun. It is very common

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    That's not wslpbvt sparring... Not even close.
    Did these guys not learn from PB?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    "real" bare knuckle fighting.
    Irish bare knuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aGn8b3mwgw
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    And then that you find that it goes on for 15 minutes.

And you realize that you can't get that 15 minutes of your life back.
    haha nice.