Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crossing Legs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Stepping behind and momentarily crossing the legs is used often in setting up throws usually prior to a twisting motion,
    Sometime the "cross legs" should be replaced by a hop with quick spin. The more that you have trained, the less time that you will stay in "cross legs".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IseTF...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I like to use cross kick as well, but when you use this kick, there is no reason your leg needs to be crossed when you land your foot back on the ground.
    That's why the jumping kick is better. Not only 1 is better than 1,2, if you cross your legs when your body is in the air, you will have less risk.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-03-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    It's risky to cross one leg in front of your other leg (as we have the same discussion in "The most controversial TCMA system"). The reason is simple. When you cross your leg

- behind your other leg, the distance between you and your opponent hasn't changed yet.
    - in front of your other leg, the distance between you and your opponent is redefined.

If you have to cross one leg in front of your other leg, you will need to move your leg above and over the knee of your standing leg. This way, you won't give your opponent any chance to sweep you. I did raise this concern in Bagua circle walking. Of course if you train TCMA for health, you won't care much about this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHoX...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.

true

I like to use cross kick as well, but when you use this kick, there is no reason your leg needs to be crossed when you land your foot back on the ground.
    true, good point.. one could land in shi bu (empty stance), reverse bow stance, etc. I don't think I've ever landed in cross stance from the cross kick, actually, unless I was moving in to go for the upper gate (splitting/scissor hands).
    So Mighty B. brought up a good point about using it as transitional for takedowns-- "drilling into the ground."

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I did raise this concern in Bagua circle walking.
    Yeah...that's what got me thinking about it....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Stepping behind and momentarily crossing the legs is used often in setting up throws usually prior to a twisting motion, or it can be used with a lead leg side kick.
    Lots of people like to use step behind sidekick for hitting bags, it feels (and is) very powerful...if you are far enough away you can almost run into it, driving the bag, or kicking shield holder way back. The trouble is, you can see this coming a mile away, it's hard to land step behind side kick on a good fighter.

IMO step up side kick is much better. (For those who don't know the difference, with step up, you slide your back foot to just behind your lead foot, then launch the kick.)
    This method doesn't cover as much distance, but it closes range much less telegraphically than step behind SK and is still very powerful.

If you train step up SK instead of step behind SK, you will be able to use it without a big space between you and your opponent. If you want to get better, at SK skill, work on just picking up the leg and kicking with no step, and even slide back and SK....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Blog Entries
    IMO step up side kick is much better. (For those who don't know the difference, with step up, you slide your back foot to just behind your lead foot, then launch the kick.)
    When you do it fast, it will become a jump kick. To me, the "step up" footwork is the most important footwork used in combat. When you "step up", the distance between you and your opponent hasn't changed yet. There is no risk involved. If the situation is not permitted, you can always step back that leg. It's a footwork that you don't need to commit yourself until you decide to do that final "jump".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-03-2013 at 04:31 PM.

When you do it fast, it will become a jump kick. To me, the "step up" footwork is the most important footwork used in combat. When you "step up", the distance between you and your opponent hasn't changed yet. There is no risk involved. If the situation is not permitted, you can always step back that leg. It's a footwork that you don't need to commit yourself until you decide to do that final "jump".
    I also believe this is very important footwork, the goal really isn't so much "step up" but place rear leg where lead leg was standing....

I also believe this is very important footwork, the goal really isn't so much "step up" but place rear leg where lead leg was standing....
    I refer to that as replacement step. I's very deceptive if used with a setup. It also works with hand strikes, front kicks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I refer to that as replacement step. I's very deceptive if used with a setup. It also works with hand strikes, front kicks, etc.
    It's an all around great entry tactic.

Blog Entries
    the goal really isn't so much "step up" but place rear leg where lead leg was standing....
    I'll call it to mark where your door axis (back leg) is so you will know exactly how far that your door (front leg) can swing.