Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I didn't ask what it was for.

I was just starting a conversation about a sparring concept, but was abruptly swarmed by head wagging parrots.
    misalign your opponents attack
    sneak one step forward

ur welcome my son

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    misalign your opponents attack
    sneak one step forward

ur welcome my son
    Was that so hard?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Was that so hard?
    hard as my penus when i see skinny lesbian that look like Justin bieber

hard as my penus when i see skinny lesbian that look like Justin bieber
    Have you started stalking her yet?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Have you started stalking her yet?
    the technique doesn't involve crossing the legs. but the form emphasizes that you are changing direction with the rear leg.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.

the technique doesn't involve crossing the legs. but the form emphasizes that you are changing direction with the rear leg.
    If you leave the front foot facing forward, instead of turning it outwards 90 degrees when you "steal a step" backwards, you achieve the exact same thing without ever crossing the legs. The only difference is the angle of the front foot.

If you leave the front foot facing forward, instead of turning it outwards 90 degrees when you "steal a step" backwards, you achieve the exact same thing without ever crossing the legs. The only difference is the angle of the front foot.
    when you practice body mechanics in horse stance you will cross the legs. if u do it in fighting stance u will not cross the legs. if the leg motion is not exaggerated u will also not cross the legs.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-02-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    In SC, you use "cross leg" in 2 different ways. If you cross your back leg

- behind your front leg, it's called "偷步(Tou Bu) - stealing step". It's used when your opponent moves in toward you and you meet him half way.
    - in front of your front leg, it's called "盖步(Gai Bu) - cover step". It's used when your opponent refuses to move in toward you and you have to move in toward him.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

when you practice body mechanics in horse stance you will cross the legs. if u do it in fighting stance u will not cross the legs. if the leg motion is not exaggerated u will also not cross the legs.
    That's a good point, when your in horse and you pivot to the side, you end up in bow stance, but if you stand naturally with your feet parallel and pivot to the side, you will be in a fighting stance.

The classical stance training actually makes a lot of sense when you utilize the concepts from a natural standing position. It really is just a difference in frame.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 09-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.

That's a good point, when your in horse and you pivot to the side, you end up in bow stance, but if you stand naturally with your feet parallel and pivot to the side, you will be in a fighting stance.

The classical stance training actually makes a lot of sense when you utilize the concepts from a natural standing position. It really is just a difference in frame.
    in fighting you move your leg only 1 inch. but u must move with force as if to cross your legs.

All the time.

I use crossing the legs all the time.

TouBu is very common when moving. Usually in application it is more subtle than in form, as in the legs step in line, barely cross, but it is still crossing legs body mechanic. There are many times when we use cross stepping or twisting shen fa, it doesn't need to go all the way to cross stance but it is the same mechanic.

In weapons one must make a much more extreme move, especially short vs. long i.e Dao Po Qiang.

hello y'all,

there is a low kick technique to the shin/ knee cap I like to use. it is a low crossing (splitting?) kick. I have long legs so I use it quite successfully to "step in" and land a kick but also to keep my sparring partners "in check" (Checking the leg) at a closer range. not quite a cross stance, but if you were to plop the leg down it would be. also yes as mentioned by others I do remember using a cross stance to steal a step before, but that's usually in a sizing the other person up jockeying for position kind of moment.
    cross stances also seem quite practical for general sneaking around also, like lurking in the bushes kind of way (unrelated to sparring).

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    there is a low kick technique to the shin/ knee cap I like to use. it is a low crossing (splitting?) kick.
    I like to use cross kick as well, but when you use this kick, there is no reason your leg needs to be crossed when you land your foot back on the ground.

Stepping behind and momentarily crossing the legs is used often in setting up throws usually prior to a twisting motion, or it can be used with a lead leg side kick.

twisting to cross the legs (transitional / very quick) can be used with a lead on lead du sau "hook" to deliver a hard shot to the face or body with the rear hand (the twist bringing the rear hand forward), again it's a transitional stance you don't hold it for more than a split second.

If you cannot sink and root, you probably should keep this stepping pattern as part of your mobility plan as far as footwork goes. Sinking and rooting takes time and several methods.
    Kung Fu is good for you.