Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 maps to help make sense of the world

40 maps to help make sense of the world

Maps

2,6,17 made me embarrased to be American.

3 Those Brits were freakin' everywhere!

7 yep, knew that DeJong was top surname in the Netherlands (probably in my area of the world too!)

20 Whew! Proud to be American relatively bribe free!

39 LOL! Literal translation Chinese to English of Germany=Moral-Land...

*bonus* map shows a map of the world tattooed on a guy's back with the countries he's been to inked in, Awesome!

Which ones catch your eye?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I will never understand the stubbornness of the metric holdout thing. Yall crazy!

Metric is better. Period. Like superior in every way shape and form beyond any doubt. At least they have the good sense to base the pound off an SI standard, but still... COME ON!
    The kilogramme has some issues, but fortunately those are being solved as we speak and a reproducible standard is being(prolly done now) defined. Most people don't know that when the standards were remeasured years later, they no longer weighed the same. So the standard the US used and the standard the UK used were not the same, even though they started out the same.

#17 is brutal.

For #20, the question is "violations of bribery". When a country legalizes some forms of bribery, like the US has, it won't show up. We also need to keep in mind that most crimes go unpunished and that the amount of charges does not necessarily relate to the amount of crime. Not to mention the word bribe is a pretty loose term these days. Now we like to use nicer words like incentives or promotional gift etc etc... If you go by prosecution alone, Wall Street hasn't done anything wrong. And technically not illegal in many of the cases.

The vegetation map, #21, is pretty cool. I would be interested to see how it's moved north over the years and to actually see the representation of the recent surge.

I don't believe #22. Self reporting.

#24 is cool. Glad to see we're still hanging on. We still need to step it up though. We're loosing ground fast.

#30 reminds me how good we really have it.

#39 is funny. "very lucky soldiers" lol. I wanna know why they chose the names they chose. I like how they have moral land, grapetooth, insurance+profit-ya and all that, then there is russia. And right beside russia is white russia. That map is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Maps

2,6,17 made me embarrased to be American.
    #2: F**K the metric system!

#6: Pregnancy is a voluntary condition!

#17: Don't Care!

Be more embarrassed you misspelled embarrassed, even with a built in spellchecker on the BB!

#38: Straight Line????

Overall, very cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    surely they must be talking about submarines....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Come on now. You know it's superior. There is a reason why everyone else is on board. You can't give me a good reason why metric is not better in every way. Your only argument is that change is too hard. The more complicated a system gets, the more USCU becomes a pain in the ass. Our numeral system works in tens, why measure otherwise?

Why is that so confusing? You do realise it's a sphere, right?

These photos on his other blog thing are pretty funny.

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/03/mos...d-photos-ever/
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That was pretty cool TaichiMantis. I agree with you on 2, 6 and 17. I thought maternity leave was a mandate but alas I was sadly mistaken. It's a good though that most decent companies voluntarily offer a paid maternity leave. The coaching jobs being higher paid than other teachers is just wrong. To me it's ridiculous that so much money is spent on school sports when the other teachers are left to scrounge for their school supplies. It'd be different if more students actually did something with their sports education but only a very few of them go on to make any money at whatever sport they participated in. It's more likely they'll limp around on crappy joints and ligaments as a result of their participation.

I thought 23 and 26 were interesting.

#23 This population comparison really puts things into perspective and demonstrates that there is still a whole lot of usable land in this world.

#26 I knew that a bunch of rivers fed into the Mississippi but wow, 7000 and over such a wide area.

Bored Panda has more such maps

40 Maps They Didn’t Teach You In School Some of BP's maps overlap with TS's. Some are quite different.

Cool resources.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Come on now. You know it's superior. There is a reason why everyone else is on board. You can't give me a good reason why metric is not better in every way. Your only argument is that change is too hard. The more complicated a system gets, the more USCU becomes a pain in the ass. Our numeral system works in tens, why measure otherwise?
    I have not formulated an argument for why I am not impressed with the metric system. Just because it is base 10 is not a good enough reason for me. Just because it is easier is not a good enough reason for me. That fact most of the world is impressed with it IS a good enough reason for me to not be impress with it!

I am a lone wolf man.....I go my own way, do my own thing, even if it isn't cool or if its a bit more difficult. Us lone wolves are no pansies. We don't take the pansy way. We climb the mountain BECAUSE its hard. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean we will automatically fall into the robotic line of mind-numbed zombies. We kill zombies and eat their livers and build mountains out of their rotten skulls and play jump rope with their gangrenous intestines.

We are the TRULY cool ones!

You are blase'!

Enjoy living the easy life of a mind-numbed follower, or join us cool cats, us lone wolves who do our own thing and go our own way, even if it means life is bit more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Why is that so confusing? You do realise it's a sphere, right?
    Their straight line moves north and south around the globe on their map? That isn't a straight line to me!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 09-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.

You sayin I'm apathetic because of overindulgence?

The US has converted where it really matters already. Even in Canada they still use imperial for building. Not because it's better, but because they are too stubborn and don't care enough to change it. They are used to their standards and don't have the collective will to be better. Unlike some of the more complicated fields where it's crazy not too use SI.

And while I'm at it, phillips head can eat a ****! Robertson all day! I cringe when I'm handed a box of phillips screws. I can live with them on a small scale when no real force is used, like with electronics, but for building big things, they're garbage.

And this is what happens when you combine stubbornness and resting on ones laurels. We can only ride the backs of of our grandparents for so long.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on the Decline of Scientific Research in America

http://www.openculture.com/2012/01/n...n_america.html

Canada's stats there are absolutely shameful. Unfortunately we export talent far more than we nurture them.

Their straight line moves north and south around the globe on their map? That isn't a straight line to me!

As for the straight line, maybe this will help with some perspective. That wavey line isn't on a globe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQwuGueeoA#t=12

Just take out a map and a globe, you'll figure it out.

its only straight if you look at it from a direct outside perspective. if you were to look at it from a different angle, it would have a curve that matches that of the globe. so its not technically a straight line, its a direct route, but not a straight line.

Lucas, Lucas, Lucas...

Perspective matters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Which ones catch your eye?
    This one.

12. Visualizing Global Population Density

If every Chinese can be brought up to the US living standard, we will need 4 earths to have enough resource to achieve that.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

#6: Pregnancy is a voluntary condition!

#17: Don't Care!

Be more embarrassed you misspelled embarrassed, even with a built in spellchecker on the BB!

Overall, very cool!!
    Bareassed?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong