Thread: Ip Man

Ip Man

Hey guys, I'm not a wing chun man. Ill start off with that. Hahaha I was just wanting to ask a question. Why does everyone compare the wing chun with ip man? There are other branches and variations since I heard ip man streamline the wing chun to work for him. This isn't meant to start a war, I was just wondering.

Hope everyone's day is going well.

Ip Man's version of Wing Chun is the most well-known and most widespread. Its only been in more recent years that some of the mainland China versions of WCK have become known in the west. There are probably 100x more people doing Ip Man's WCK in the world than any other version. Does that answer your question?

That actually answers it perfectly. Thank you for that.

It would make sense that a man's tools work for him!
    Ip Man and family were/are the standard so people automatically use that template as the base for their learning.

I'm assuming this means they might look down on other branches?

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    I'm assuming this means they might look down on other branches?
    While appalled at your lack of faith in humanity's inherent goodness, I concede that in some cases you may be correct.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    While appalled at your lack of faith in humanity's inherent goodness, I concede that in some cases you may be correct.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was an awesome response. I have lost a lot of faith in our kind so yeah...hahaha

I'm also assuming this is where some of the strain between the branches comes from?

On another note though, why is there so much hate between brances, even the ip man lines? I haven't seen much back and forth as in other systems unless I'm completely blind. If so, then my apologies. I have just been taught that even if its not our way, if the person can reach the same end goal then its all good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    why is there so much hate between brances,...
    We have 2 group of people here. The

- 1st group likes to keep the WC system pure. To them, anything from outside is an insult to their WC system. I'll call this group as conservative republican.

- 2nd ground likes to cross train and bring new ideas from other styles. To them, they want to expand and grow. They don't want to be restricted by any system. I'll call this group as liberal democrat.

Have you seen any republican and democrat that can get along with each other?

Since all MMA guys are liberal democrat, and all Judo guys are conservative republican, you won't see a MMA guy argues with another MMA guy, or a Judoka argues with another Judoka.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- 1st group likes to keep the WC system pure. To them, anything from outside is an insult to their WC system. I'll call this group as conservative republican.

- 2nd ground likes to cross train and bring new ideas from other styles. To them, they want to expand and grow. They don't want to be restricted by any system. I'll call this group as liberal democrat.

Interesting breakdown...haha

Fair enough. I can understand both sides of thought. I guess its just whatever the individual wants. I like to keep my system as pure as possible, but at the same time, my sifu has me train with a friend to learn boxing and kick boxing to "mask" my kung fu when fighting. On the streets? Hell no...kill him hahaha but in the ring during a match, thats when finesse comes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Don't forget the independents who think both sides are nuts