Thread: Leg Bridge

Blog Entries

Leg Bridge

The "leg bridge" concept seems to be ignored in the general "arm bridge" discussion.

The "bridging" is 2 ways street. When you can sense your opponent, your opponent can sense you too. It's better to sense your opponent but don't let your opponent to sense you. In order to do that, you have to:

- build a bridge,
    - collect your "information",
    - destroy your bridge ASAP (so your opponent can't sense you),
    - utilize that information to do your thing.

In the following clip (1/4 speed),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDBH...ature=youtu.be

the old man used his left leg to touch his opponent's right leading leg before he landed his left foot. Why did he want to do that for? He wanted to make sure that his opponent's leading right leg won't give him any trouble. He then dis-connect his leg contact quickly after he had collected his information. The information would tell him whether it's safe to land his leading left foot, whether he should continue his attack or withdraw immediately.

What's your opinion on "leg bridge"?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think they are great, we use them in Hung Gar quite a bit. Getting contact with the legs is a great way to limit the possibilities your opponent has. Disconnecting before acting on them is a great way to hide what is happening.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "leg bridge" concept seems to be ignored in the general "arm bridge" discussion.

- destroy your bridge ASAP (so your opponent can't sense you),

What's your opinion on "leg bridge"?
    Leg bridging is a solid concept.

I strongly disagree on "destroying the bridge". Why destroy a bridge that you should walk across it? A fake is just wasted time and effort.

In my mantis school we:

Build a bridge (叫 - jiào),
    Sense the enemy's reaction (聽 粘 黏 - tīng zhān nián)
    Move across the bridge with strikes (進 - jìn),
    Stick to the enemy if he tries to escape (貼 - tiē),
    Overwhelm the enemy with Strikes, Locks or Throws (打 拿 摔 - dǎ ná shuāi)

Destroying a bridge would only lead to having to build a new bridge. Which equals wasting time.

Leg bridges are a huge part of mantis techniques in my school. I believe this is the main purpose of the seven star step/hook shaped foot.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Destroying a bridge would only lead to having to build a new bridge. Which equals wasting time.
    IMO, after you have destroyed your "leg bridge", you won't need to build new "leg bridge" again.

In that clip example that I posted, you will have 3 different options. If your opponent

1. steps back (your opponent destroys the bridge for you), you can land your left foot right there,
    2. refuses to step back, you can use shin bite to force him to step back (you force your opponent to destroy bridge for you),
    3. refuses to step back, you can move around (you destroy bridge yourself),

and do your thing.

In that clip, the 3rd option is applied. Since you will need to use your leading leg to attack, you have to destroy that bridge to free your leading leg again. Please notice that the leg bridge in that clip is not the final attack but to set up for the final attack. This is different from the praying mantis Gou Lou Cai Shou that the Lou is the final bridge that you use it to pull your opponent into your final strike.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Talking

It would be better if you hadnt explain it in army way, LoL.
    Legs to legs, hands to hands.