Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chen tai chi VS Thaiboxing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    assuming that basic striking techniques are allowed chen style like many other styles has all the necessary tools not much different from MT.
    This is what we want to discuss, the offense tools. You can't

- throw someone down without a good throwing technique.
    - knock someone down without a good striking technique.

It's the MT guy's door guarding techniques (bread and butter) vs. the Chen guy's door guarding techniques (bread and butter).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is what we want to discuss, the offense tools. You can't

- throw someone down without a good throwing technique.
    - knock someone down without a good striking technique.

It's MT guy's door guarding techniques (bread and butter) vs. the Chen guy's door guarding techniques (bread and butter).
    The tools are not that different if they don't allow things like wrestling, locking, ... But what worries me is the experience of the Chen guys in a striking only competition. In Chen village they spar everyday doing both grappling and striking. Some are very good werstlers but because of the focus on grappling in competitions since recent years they really lack the experience in striking.

Blog Entries
    The tools are not that different if they don't allow things like wrestling, locking, ....
    In grappling, Judo guys like to use hip throw, and wrestlers like to use single leg.

In striking, if both MT guys and Chen guys use exactly the same striking tools, what's the difference could it be?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In grappling, Judo guys like to use hip throw, and wrestlers like to use single leg.

In striking, if both MT guys and Chen guys use exactly the same striking tools, what's the difference could it be?
    In grappling Chen guys use both single leg and hip throw (both are in the forms) but at least where I trained hip throw was more important.

In striking against MT I have no idea what the difference would be that's why I'm waiting for the show. Chen guys are also good with elbows but most probably don't have powerful roundhouse kicks like the MT guys. Altogether they lack the experience in this department.

Vajramusti not to knock your example here, but i think this is a better example of how chen style is a rough sport and take a lot of energy expenditure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrLPA1akdk

will throws be allowed? cause that could be the tai chi players strength

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Vajramusti not to knock your example here, but i think this is a better example of how chen style is a rough sport and take a lot of energy expenditure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrLPA1akdk

will throws be allowed? cause that could be the tai chi players strength
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thx but those are kids in a pushing contest.

Of course throwing should be allowed. How can it be fully martial otherwise?

what mr chen was doing with the sumo,is about as real as wwf. the other is real hard competition,if you don't know the difference you are in lala land
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 09-16-2013 at 02:46 AM.

what mr chen was doing with the sumo,is about as real as wwf. the other is real hard competition,if you don't know the difference you are in lala land
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Lala land! ? Really? I do make distinctions/ Good that you know what lala land is.

In grappling Chen guys use both single leg and hip throw (both are in the forms) but at least where I trained hip throw was more important.

In striking against MT I have no idea what the difference would be that's why I'm waiting for the show. Chen guys are also good with elbows but most probably don't have powerful roundhouse kicks like the MT guys. Altogether they lack the experience in this department.
    Of course the Muay Thai fighters could use a reverse strategy and fight more like the Chen Taiji fighters to up the odds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYfjnGHtHs

[QUOTE=PalmStriker;1248531]Of course the Muay Thai fighters could use a reverse strategy and fight more like the Chen Taiji fighters to up the odds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYfjnGHtHs[/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Chen taiji engine and the MT engine are completely different from each other.

At least what the guys in WWF are doing requires athleticism and skill.

true,did you see the video i posted of the real chen push hands comp?

true,did you see the video i posted of the real chen push hands comp?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    What's your point. Those are kids pushing. It takes time, sustained training and top quality chen style instruction to become a decent chen stylist. There are very few top level chen teachers in the US. Prior to the 80s with Chen Xiao wang and Feng visiting the US , Chen style was basically unknown in the west. Yang and other styles have colored people's opinions about taiji. I ama wing chun person but have nothing but respect for good chen taiji.
    Opinions are dim a dozen. Informed opinions - a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    What's your point. Those are kids pushing. It takes time, sustained training and top quality chen style instruction to become a decent chen stylist. There are very few top level chen teachers in the US. Prior to the 80s with Chen Xiao wang and Feng visiting the US , Chen style was basically unknown in the west. Yang and other styles have colored people's opinions about taiji. I ama wing chun person but have nothing but respect for good chen taiji.
    Opinions are dim a dozen. Informed opinions - a different matter.
    His point is that what those kids are doing is 20 times more realistic than that clip you posted. If you think your clip was more realistic, your opinion is far from informed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    His point is that what those kids are doing is 20 times more realistic than that clip you posted. If you think your clip was more realistic, your opinion is far from informed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    No point in arguing with you.