Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chen tai chi VS Thaiboxing

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    No point in arguing with you.
    Having trained Chen style for some time I'm failing to see a display of skill in the clip you showed.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Having trained Chen style for some time I'm failing to see a display of skill in the clip you showed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Chen redirected pressure from Akebono to the ground. Being a sumoist Akebono has good balance but he stumbled. That's all/ genuinely Curious- who have you learned Chen style from?

Where?

One of the core principles of Taiji ( Chen or otherwise) is the ability to use your opponents force/weight/strength against him/neutralize it from him.
    That clip shows that principle in a non-combative way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One of the core principles of Taiji ( Chen or otherwise) is the ability to use your opponents force/weight/strength against him/neutralize it from him.
    ------------------------------------
    True Sanjuro.

Hey guys, is there news on what channel in china and what time this challenge match will be? My sifu has chinese tv hooked up and he is interested in watching it.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Chen redirected pressure from Akebono to the ground. Being a sumoist Akebono has good balance but he stumbled.
    You must be kidding. Akebono stumbled because the drill was for him to only push in a straightforward motion. He stumbled because he was supposed to push with all his force and not try to unbalance Chen. Chen simply moved out of the way because Akebono reacting to this was not part of the drill. He could have easily unbalanced Chen by redirecting his forward pressure sideways.

If you really think this was a test of anything resembling reality, you are living in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That clip did nothing of the sort. What it showed was one guy in a staggered stance with another guy soley pushing into the very strength of this type of stance who made no attempt to readjust when Chen pivoted. This was a parlor trick. Nothing more.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 09-26-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    That clip did nothing of the sort. What it showed was one guy in a staggered stance with another guy soley pushing into the very strength of this type of stance who made no attempt to readjust when Chen pivoted. This was a parlor trick. Nothing more.
    Whatever dude.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    You must be kidding. Akebono stumbled because the drill was for him to only push in a straightforward motion. He stumbled because he was supposed to push with all his force and not try to unbalance Chen. Chen simply moved out of the way because Akebono reacting to this was not part of the drill. He could have easily unbalanced Chen by redirecting his forward pressure sideways.

If you really think this was a test of anything resembling reality, you are living in a fantasy world.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In civil discourse,you can have your own opinion without saying that I am living in a fantasy world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In civil discourse,you can have your own opinion without saying that I am living in a fantasy world.
    The operative word is "civil".

Who wants a civil fantasy?

Back on topic, does anyone know where we might view these alleged Chen Taiji vs. Muay Thai fights? I've had a few people ask me and all I can say is "I have no idea. I just read about that on our forum."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlu_wA-VWA

After watching this clip again, I have found something interest. In the beginning, both persons were pushing forward. When the Sumo guy pushed a bit harder, the Chen guy yielded, redirected, changed his pushing to pulling, and dragged the Sumo guy to the ground.

The Sumo guy might not know that he could do that too. What if the Sumo guy started to pull before his pushing (if pulling is allowed)?

If the Chen guy could used pushing to set up his pulling (left hand push on his opponent's right shoulder toward him). The Sumo guy should be able to use his pulling to set up his pushing.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Have to watch for the listing on China TV: David Gaffney12 September 2013 09:42

Yes it will be televised on China TV. I'm sure we will get to see it shortly after the event. I've been told that it will be fought under International K1 rules. Some of the Chen guys are very experienced fighters. Chen Ziqiang has been preparing them for quite a long time, sending his teams out to get experience fighting sanda guys in China. I'm specially looking forward to watching Chen Jianqiang - very strong fighter.
    Reply , David Gaffney

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlu_wA-VWA

After watching this clip again, I have found something interest. In the beginning, both persons were pushing forward. When the Sumo guy pushed a bit harder, the Chen guy yielded, redirected, changed his pushing to pulling, and dragged the Sumo guy to the ground.

The Sumo guy might not know that he could do that too. What if the Sumo guy started to pull before his pushing (if pulling is allowed)?

If the Chen guy could used pushing to set up his pulling (left hand push on his opponent's right shoulder toward him). The Sumo guy should be able to use his pulling to set up his pushing.
    That would be one of many "interesting" things. The others would be the stance that Akebono is using compared to Chen, the fact that Akebono is pushing downwards, and that Akebono is barely using any effort.

I find it unbelievable that people are so easily fooled and led to believe that this guy would have any chance in an uprooting/pushing contest against one of the top professional uprooting/pushing competitors in the world and who has a weight advantage of at least 250 lbs.

This is what uprooting/pushing looks like when done for real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6MQfpmuljM