Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chen tai chi VS Thaiboxing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    This is what uprooting/pushing looks like when done for real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6MQfpmuljM
    That's exactly my point. The Sumo guy might not even know that he was allowed to do as shown in your clip at 0.02. or used over hook as shown in 0.58.

The way that the Sumo guy started to stand like the Chen guy, and moved his hands like the Chen guy, I started to have feeling that he truly didn't know what was allowed and what was not allowed in that event.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    This is what uprooting/pushing looks like when done for real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6MQfpmuljM
    Get over it, They both knew the rules and Akebono lost.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlu_wA-VWA

After watching this clip again, I have found something interest. In the beginning, both persons were pushing forward. When the Sumo guy pushed a bit harder, the Chen guy yielded, redirected, changed his pushing to pulling, and dragged the Sumo guy to the ground.

The Sumo guy might not know that he could do that too. What if the Sumo guy started to pull before his pushing (if pulling is allowed)?

If the Chen guy could used pushing to set up his pulling (left hand push on his opponent's right shoulder toward him). The Sumo guy should be able to use his pulling to set up his pushing.
    Redirecting the energy is not pulling. It is not pull hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Are you saying "pulling"" is not allowed in that event?

Get over it, They both knew the rules and Akebono lost.
    What, exactly, were the rules?

So, basically, completely divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedjustice88 View Post
    Hey guys, is there news on what channel in china and what time this challenge match will be? My sifu has chinese tv hooked up and he is interested in watching it.
    also wondering the same...my shifu said maybe they won't put it on tv because it won't be good for chen village if they lose

also they ain't going to be using taiji
    I guess we are who we are

Are you saying "pulling"" is not allowed in that event?
    He just opens the way for Akebono to fall by himself by moving in his kua. He doesn't pull him. The reason is simple: IMO the first time Wang Zhanjun had underestimated the big guy and when he couldn't resist he had to use this simple taiji trick but it is not pulling as in using any power in moving the guy. The second time it seemed that both were more careful and nothing happened.
    Wang Zhanjun won but for both it didn't go as well as what they had expected. Altogether it was an awkward show without much combat value but Wang showed he could to some degree resist a big guy's push. Personally I don't think about these entertainment shows too much.

Blog Entries
    but Wang showed he could to some degree resist a big guy's push.
    Most Taiji guys don't do well with "pulling". You don't need to grab on your opponent to pull him.

- a hand behind the neck,
    - a hand behind the shoulder,
    - an arm over/under hook on the shoulder,

can do quite effective pulling.

If the Sumo guy knew that, he would pull in the 1st second (unless the rule won't allow him to do so). That's why I ask whether pulling is allowed or not.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-27-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Sheesh! It was just a friendly balancing and unbalancing demo.!

Most Taiji guys don't do well with "pulling". You don't need to grab on your opponent to pull him.

- a hand behind the neck,
    - a hand behind the shoulder,
    - an arm over/under hook on the shoulder,

can do quite effective pulling.

If the Sumo guy knew that, he would pull in the 1st second (unless the rule won't allow him to do so). That's why I ask whether pulling is allowed or not.
    Push hands is an exercise for training specific aspects of taiji, there are other drills for other aspects. In that kind of basic PH when you push you give the energy and when you are pushed you are passive and can just redirect it by moving your structure using the minimum energy to train "neutralizing" so I think in this exercise the kind of strong pull that you have in mind is not allowed. This would be different if they were doing a moving chen style competition.

Blog Entries
    Push hands is an exercise for training specific aspects of taiji, there are other drills for other aspects. In that kind of basic PH when you push you give the energy and when you are pushed you are passive and can just redirect it by moving your structure using the minimum energy to train "neutralizing" so I think in this exercise the kind of strong pull that you have in mind is not allowed. This would be different if they were doing a moving chen style competition.
    So you are saying in

- static PH, pulling is not allowed.
    - dynamic PH, pulling is allowed.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

If someone asks me to do static PH, I don't think that I will do it for the reason that you have just stated.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-27-2013 at 08:24 PM.

So you are saying in

- static PH, pulling is not allowed.
    - dynamic PH, pulling is allowed.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

If someone asks me to do static PH, I don't think that I will do it for the reason that you have just stated.
    They are allowed in the common Chen style competitions but you have to perform your technique very fast as soon as you see an opportunity. It's not like you can pull or grab for a long time.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 09-27-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    They are allowed in the common Chen style competitions but you have to perform your technique very fast as soon as you see an opportunity. It's not like you can pull or grab for a long time.
    What's the time limitation? 3 seconds? A quick pull only need 1/4 second. The reason that you pull is to test your opponent's intention whether he will resists or yields. You give first, you then take afterward. I like this approach because I can "make" something happen instead of "wait" for something to happen (wait for my opponent to push me so I can re-direct).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Sheesh! It was just a friendly balancing and unbalancing demo.!
    Yet you originally considered it "a chen stylist easily handling the huge sumo champ Akebono".