Thread: Lan Sao--does it violate the WC law of economy of motion?

Threaded View

Man... you just can't get over my opinions can you?

---Sorry Spencer, but not everything is about you! Our recent conversation was still in mind. Dave said something that made me go.."yeah, that's what I've been thinking recently!" So I agreed with him. Simple as that. I haven't been agonizing over your opinions on anything.

So let me ask you... if we are talking about Lansau I would take a wild guess that Pin Sun has Lansau, Ip Man has Lansau, Hung Fa Yi has Lansau, Pan Nam has Lansau... right?

So, what is Wing Chun?

---WCK is more than a collection of techniques. Its how you approach the fight and put the total package together that makes the real differences.

The problem comes when individual expressions are talked about as being the 'only way' and everyone else is wrong,

I agree! And when you say that everything is "just Wing Chun", then you open a huge possibility for someone seeing a version that differs from their own and saying..."that's not Wing Chun! You aren't doing it the way I learned it, so it can't possibly be real Wing Chun!!!!" Rather we should see that Wing Chun is diverse and that there is more than one way to interpret or apply some things. Its not all "just Wing Chun." There is a PBWSLVT approach to Wing Chun. There is a Leung Ting approach to Wing Chun. There is a Ku Lo Pin Sun approach to Wing Chun. And each may see things from a different angle and have different application. The problem comes when someone from one of those systems decides that there way is the ONLY way and everyone else is wrong. The problem comes when someone fails to acknowledge the diversity in Wing Chun. You think saying that everyone is "just Wing Chun" will eliminate that problem? I think it adds to the problem.

Brings up the question, what is Lan? I can only guess everyone is using different Chinese characters and this is the case... well

Brings up the question that I've asked a couple of times now....I wouldn't want to see everyone doing their Wing Chun exactly the same way. Would you???? That's what is implied when you say that its all "just Wing Chun" and try to ignore differences between systems.

But we digress.
    Last edited by KPM; 09-14-2013 at 06:02 AM.