Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lan Sao--does it violate the WC law of economy of motion?

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    I knw you asked Kev, but can I but in?.....No it doesnt work like that. Because you have a clearer understanding of VT doesnt mean we all end up with the same level of skill or you can defeat all comers. It simply makes your Ving Tsun a clearer, more effective and foused method.
    Okay, so now I am confused
    If your Ving Tsun is a clearer, more effective and focused method, wouldn't it follow that as a part of being more effective it would work better? Thus allowing you to defeat everyone not as clear, effective and focused as you?

As to the first part, maybe its me but wouldn't that be in line with my prior statements about Wing Chun being a highly personalize system varied by a person physical and mental attributes? I agree that skill will vary between people as well as not everyone will be equal all the time. There is such a thing as having an off day.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    That's not an explanation of how what I posted doesn't work, or of what your alternative explanation for the same movements may be. So let's hear it. I'm still waiting. How was what I wrote "way off the mark"???
    I thought it was appropriate.

I know you asked Kev, but can I but in?.....No, it doesnt work like that. Because you have a clearer understanding of the VT system, doesnt mean we all end up with the same level of skill or you can defeat all comers. It simply makes your Ving Tsun a clearer, more effective and focused method.....That gives advantages and improves your odds, but it wont guarantee you will win.
    Thanks ! Good reply.

No. There is more to winning a fight than just knowledge.
    Certainly, however knowledge is a key point.
    Understanding the concepts and being adaptable are also important.
    However, one needs the physical attributes as well.

The point I was making is that those who keep making claims as though they have the magic elixir, should be able to bake up those claims with the ability to do not just talk, or hanging on the accomplishments of others.

If I have a tank which I say is better than any other tank then it should be able to out perform other tanks. If this supposed super tank is only able to beat others 75% of the time then it is really not all that super. So likewise if your Wing Chun is not able to dominate the majority of other WC opponents then it may not really be all that special. Also, if you are unable to do it but can only point to one or two exponents of your approach and their accomplishments, it also begs to question just how effective this approach really is.

What I find kind of amusing is that we have a select group who follow one approach and yet have the gall to say everyone else, even others stemming from the same root (WSL) are wrong. Now to me that would be indicative of being in Laa Laa land.
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Certainly, however knowledge is a key point.
    Understanding the concepts and being adaptable are also important.
    However, one needs the physical attributes as well.

The point I was making is that those who keep making claims as though they have the magic elixir, should be able to bake up those claims with the ability to do not just talk, or hanging on the accomplishments of others.

If I have a tank which I say is better than any other tank then it should be able to out perform other tanks. If this supposed super tank is only able to beat others 75% of the time then it is really not all that super. So likewise if your Wing Chun is not able to dominate the majority of other WC opponents then it may not really be all that special. Also, if you are unable to do it but can only point to one or two exponents of your approach and their accomplishments, it also begs to question just how effective this approach really is.

What I find kind of amusing is that we have a select group who follow one approach and yet have the gall to say everyone else, even others stemming from the same root (WSL) are wrong. Now to me that would be indicative of being in Laa Laa land.
    PB has passed on knowledge to more than you know. Some are adopting his ideas and reinventing themselves without acknowledging his input.
    Don't be the last guy in la la land ; )

No. You are over simplifying fighting. VT is not like a tank.... Or any fixed singularity. It is a fighting method used by people with varying fighting attributes and abilities.
    I could for example, find someone from another VT lineage who could defeat me in a fight... And I could then give him a better understanding and he would be able to kick my arse much more effectively! . You see?
    Ahh, now I see.
    Rather than using the KISS principle to simplify Wing Chun......................................

I should be over-complicating things. Make things more involved rather than strip away the unessential. The more the merrier.

I try to learn from everyone, sometimes I learn even when I lose.

So what would you equate Wing Chun to, an uzi????
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    PB has passed on knowledge to more than you know. Some are adopting his ideas and reinventing themselves without acknowledging his input.
    Don't be the last guy in la la land ; )
    Not knocking PB, just saying the cult mentality of some of his followers is amusing.
    Seems to me like some are compensating for an inability to make things work for them in all situations. If I can't do it I will point to someone who can and use their accomplishments to shore up my lack of accomplishment. Or something to that effect.

I like La la land, the girls are pretty and fun.
    Peace,

Dave

Not knocking PB, just saying the cult mentality of some of his followers is amusing.
    Seems to me like some are compensating for an inability to make things work for them in all situations. If I can't do it I will point to someone who can and use their accomplishments to shore up my lack of accomplishment. Or something to that effect.

I like La la land, the girls are pretty and fun.
    Seems to me a lot of guys are just staying comfortable in their lalaland ; )

My Lapland has hot babes too. ; )

I give up.
    Lmfao ! Yeah, my sentiments ; )

Ahh, now I see.
    Rather than using the KISS principle to simplify Wing Chun......................................

I should be over-complicating things. Make things more involved rather than strip away the unessential. The more the merrier.

I try to learn from everyone, sometimes I learn even when I lose.

So what would you equate Wing Chun to, an uzi????
    What he said was, you will only improve.

What Dave is saying makes perfect sense to me. It's really not that confusing and the logic is sound - anyone above moron-level should be able to follow it And, it applies to any group claiming superiourity and constantly taking the stance "I'm right, you're wrong".

Funny thing is, these same people always seem to point back to their figure heads for their proof (both living AND deceased) and not their own results in most cases. But, that's what matters at the end of the day - your individual results. So if you claim to have the Real Goods, yet can't demonstrate your own improved fighting skills/results from said goods, it's all hot air in la la land.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I give up.
    See, my WC must be superior as I win

It is just an internet forum, nothing too serious here.
    Peace,

Dave

Seems to me a lot of guys are just staying comfortable in their lalaland ; )

My Lapland has hot babes too. ; )
    My babes are hotter
    Peace,

Dave

I thought it was appropriate.
    But you said you agreed with Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    But you said you agreed with Graham.
    My response to your post ; )