Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut

Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut

Dear bros,

I'm from Viet Nam & I'd like to make friend with who like kungfu, in special Choy Lee Fut.
    I'm sorry because my bad English. I have trained Kick-boxing for 2 years, a little Taekwondo. In the past, I never believe Kungfu or Chinese Martial Arts. I thought it just have been well in Cinema. Until I see Him, know Him & had a small sparring with his student & had been KO in few second, everything has changed. Now I love Choy Lee Fut. It's not about how you fighting. Choy Lee Fut is Art Of Fighting.

My Master is Grand Master Sang. I met him when he was over 60 and he have been strong, fast & can sparring with any younger student. Grand Master Sang is Chinese who have a great love to Viet Nam.
    He have never make marketing or PR for the class. just receive student by fate & accidental. So I have not many video clip or document about him. And you can't google it. We don't have website too. However Grand Master Sang have been famous in Vietnamese who like kungfu in real fight, street fight.

Master Sang & Master Kim Jin Pal (Jin Pal Hapkido)
    Name:  Sifu&Kim Jin Pal.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  60.5 KB

This is some video Mr.Linh Co Tan, The Highest Student of Master Sang, demonstart some Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut Technique. Hope you will like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLqhDvCIm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8vU2FwMR8
    Nice to meet you, bros!

All link update:

Sparring Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfzAJ-a3B-Q
    Mr.Linh Movement in Sparring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BBBeVtm8I
    Grand Master Sang demo in USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrhfDQvTqs
    Stone Lock Gwa Sao Trainning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_YRkP3xz7c
    Last edited by Karol Ruan; 12-11-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Can anyone help me post my video link?

Silk Reeling Tecnique??
    Name:  Triền Ty Kình.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  47.4 KB
    Last edited by Karol Ruan; 12-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Welcome to the forum Karol Ruan!

I don't think you can upload videos due to the file size/type limitation, so probably the best way is to upload your video on youtube and then just post that link the same way you did for the other two videos.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I don't think you can upload videos due to the file size/type limitation, so probably the best way is to upload your video on youtube and then just post that link the same way you did for the other two videos.
    Thanks a lot, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Karol Ruan View Post
    These are quite good.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Nice. This guy knows what he's doing. Practical and not too stylised.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    These are quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by FongSung View Post
    Nice. This guy knows what he's doing. Practical and not too stylised.
    Thank you sir. You said right because our master dont teach us any form. He've just taught us simple skill, then how to make a combo and last how to fight. The same way MMA training method.
    Our solution in fighting is angel changing. We move to change the angel to fight. Not go straight. And always hide groin.

Thank you sir. You said right because our master dont teach us any form. He've just taught us simple skill, then how to make a combo and last how to fight. The same way MMA training method.
    Our solution in fighting is angel changing. We move to change the angel to fight. Not go straight. And always hide groin.
    That is real martial skill. You can't learn it from someone who just wants to teach forms for money. Glad to see this.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    That is real martial skill. You can't learn it from someone who just wants to teach forms for money. Glad to see this.
    Yes. I give my Master high respecting. Because he have a simplicity life & never "sell" his martial art skill. Every week he ride motorbile over 20km to teach us(with Viet Nam speed limited <60km).

Please start watching in 4:50 to see him. Sorry because there 's too much chatting in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JG8BMbV-iU

This is our sparring clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfzAJ-a3B-Q

You can see how damage in Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut skill at the end of the clip. The guy in black just used limit power.

It's glad if everyone give comment & advise to us.

Thank you!

Hey Karol, excellent videos! I especially like the way the GM teaches with a cig hanging out of his mouth. It's some old school stuff for sure. Kinda reminds me of the Lions Roar master lady in the movie Kung Fu Hustle.

Since you asked for comments and advice I'd be happy to share my thoughts on the sparring video. First of all the guy in black is using some excellent triangle footwork to set up the other fella. If he had used full power the guy would have hit the ground. It appears that the guy in black likes to use that setup so my advise would be to allow him to use it but keep the left hand up high to block the looping strike and move in with a straight right. Since the guy in black didn't have his hands up high either the right would likely have landed square.

Good stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Hey Karol, excellent videos! I especially like the way the GM teaches with a cig hanging out of his mouth. It's some old school stuff for sure. Kinda reminds me of the Lions Roar master lady in the movie Kung Fu Hustle.

Since you asked for comments and advice I'd be happy to share my thoughts on the sparring video. First of all the guy in black is using some excellent triangle footwork to set up the other fella. If he had used full power the guy would have hit the ground. It appears that the guy in black likes to use that setup so my advise would be to allow him to use it but keep the left hand up high to block the looping strike and move in with a straight right. Since the guy in black didn't have his hands up high either the right would likely have landed square.

Good stuff!!!
    Thank you, GoldenBrain! What kind of martial arts that you 're training? I guess it 's Southern Fist, too. Because you talked about triangle footwork. Actually, Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut use Triangle footwork too much. So in our sparring, we always use this movement.
    And in fact, the level of the black guy is higher, he always change stance to find the hole to fight. The blue guy movement is not good enough. if you watch in slow motion. At the 0:32, the black guy give a fake left hand in high position, the blue guy use left hand to push it out & find the way to Charp Sui his partner ribs by the right hand. However, the real move is the Gwa Sao by right hand of the black guy.

As you know, Hung Sing CLF fightstyle is never ending & always continue. We dont give a punch then take back the hand to cover chin like boxing. The time Hung Sing fighter 's hand stick his opponent block, the time for the real move. So maybe if the blue guy try to high block, he will receive a Palm to Groin.

Like that way, at 0:30 you can see the yellow guy push out(we like to do that than block, because block is too passive) Mr.Linh hand & then....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwdhQFOAHU

I hope you would give your oppinion. So we can discuss & I can receive your big experience. Thank you.

It is obvious that the guy in yellow is in learning mode and blocking the guy in black attacking hand, he is totally distraction by the black guys hand and is trying to deal with that which is not the objective. Instead of following the guy in black s example of attack to defend.

Basically the guy in yellow is setting himself up to loose every time.
    Last edited by FongSung; 09-20-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Thank you, GoldenBrain! What kind of martial arts that you 're training? I guess it 's Southern Fist, too. Because you talked about triangle footwork. Actually, Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut use Triangle footwork too much. So in our sparring, we always use this movement.
    And in fact, the level of the black guy is higher, he always change stance to find the hole to fight. The blue guy movement is not good enough. if you watch in slow motion. At the 0:32, the black guy give a fake left hand in high position, the blue guy use left hand to push it out & find the way to Charp Sui his partner ribs by the right hand. However, the real move is the Gwa Sao by right hand of the black guy.

As you know, Hung Sing CLF fightstyle is never ending & always continue. We dont give a punch then take back the hand to cover chin like boxing. The time Hung Sing fighter 's hand stick his opponent block, the time for the real move. So maybe if the blue guy try to high block, he will receive a Palm to Groin.

Like that way, at 0:30 you can see the yellow guy push out(we like to do that than block, because block is too passive) Mr.Linh hand & then....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwdhQFOAHU

I hope you would give your oppinion. So we can discuss & I can receive your big experience. Thank you.

I train a mixed bag of styles. I turned 42 yesterday, so many years ago as a youth I began my studies in GoJu Ryu Shorei Kan Karate and Japanese Jiujitsu. Now the core of my studies for the striking and weapon arts is mainly Southern 5 Animal Sil Lum and Kali Arnis, and for the grappling styles it's Jiujitsu, Chin-Na and Shuai Jaio.

Triangle stepping is a standard for me so it's easy to recognize it when I see it. I agree with you, and it's pretty obvious to me that the guy in black is more advanced. My point was not for the blue guy to stay locked into a boxer guard the entire time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but at that moment he could have used a left block or deflection while at the same time throwing a straight right to the head which probably would have connected.

I mean no offense, but I guess what I'm disagreeing with, and what I'm seeing in these sparring videos, is that the fighters tend to keep their hands to low. Of course, this is just my opinion and each fighter needs to find their own way. Personally, I tend to keep my hands out in front of me, one a little closer than the other, forming a narrow triangle from my hands to shoulders, at approximately the chest to shoulder level just under my eye line. My guard resembles a Wing Chun guard without the squared off pigeon toed stance. My foot placement is much like a western boxer which allows me to advance and retreat quickly and use male and female triangle stepping, depending on the situation. I also use a lot of shin bites and what we call the gas peddle which is to step on the feet and ankles when advancing from the front or the sides. I am still able to flow my striking, locks or other applications in a continuous way from this guard, but having my hands higher allows me to intercept or deflect incoming strikes a little faster. It's really no problem to block low, middle or high with this type of guard. I'm more of a close inside fighter so I like to work from 45 degree angles, find a bridge and then attack the center line. If I'm not striking then I'm usually working for chokes, sweeps, throws or takedowns of some sort, and if somebody leaves their hands on me for to long then I work large and small circle joint locks.

I've enjoyed watching the videos you've posted and hearing your opinions. It's really cool to see how other people around the world are training so keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by FongSung View Post
    It is obvious that the guy in yellow is in learning mode and blocking the guy in black attacking hand, he is totally distraction by the black guys hand and is trying to deal with that which is not the objective. Instead of following the guy in black s example of attack to defend.

Basically the guy in yellow is setting himself up to loose every time.
    Thank you sir. That's right. This clip is not a sparring. Just Responsive Application Skill. I use this clip for explaining how Hung Sing CLF fightstyle in the sparring clip.

This clip is not good enough but I like Mr.Linh(in white) movement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BBBeVtm8I

Mr. Linh moves pretty well for wearing flip flops.

I need to be barefoot or in shoes. Every time I try to do any type of training in flip flops I'm tripping all over myself.