Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight sword v Broad sword

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the sword mace is angular and shatters, the whip mace is round and deforms.
    Intercepting another weapon with the 'sword-mace' you intercept primarily with the flat of the blade. That is the wide bit with the pipe. This does not shatter. You cut flesh with the edge.

The round mace of course is very strong from all angles but must swing or stab to make an impact, it cannot slice which limits its targets.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Intercepting another weapon with the 'sword-mace' you intercept primarily with the flat of the blade. That is the wide bit with the pipe. This does not shatter. You cut flesh with the edge.

The round mace of course is very strong from all angles but must swing or stab to make an impact, it cannot slice which limits its targets.
    sword mace has hard steel like a sword, it shatters. whip mace is soft steel, it deforms.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    sword mace has hard steel like a sword, it shatters. whip mace is soft steel, it deforms.
    Right, I see. Whip mace is a good weapon too. What can i say. All weapons have the potential to break during use. Especially if you use them badly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Broad sword was a weapon more for soldiers ...
    there is a good reason for it. When you attack with a broad sword, if your opponent blocks it with his shield in battle field, you can turn your broad sword and the back of the broad sword can slide over his shield, the tip of your broad sword can still stab into his chest. You can't do that with your double edges sword.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=48
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

There are a couple of good documentaries from China's CCTV on the evolution of ancient Chinese weapons and arms/armor. I'll see if I can find the links. But as armor and massed warfare developed, the one handed jian or long sword fell out of favor, except by the nobility, for the heavier Two handed Jian, which also had greater killing range and the Dao, Dadao type weapons.

It does take greater skill and training to become proficient with the one handed jian as the killing stroke is the narrow tip of the sword in a spear like thrust. Although double edged it isn't heavy enough to kill armored foes with a slice. The Dao is the more of a hacking (generally speaking ) weapon with a greater killing surface. It's also the preferred weapon of mounted cavalry around the world, ask the Mongols, the Saracens, or British royal guards. Wudang emphasizes this proverb: “100 days of bare hand, 1,000 days of spear, 10,000 days of sword” which places mastering the sword as the highest achievement in martial arts.

Heavier two handed Jians and thicker Dao's are more resistant to shattering, surviving longer on the battlefield. If you had to train large amounts of foot soldiers or conscripts it will probably be easier to train them to a decent level of killing proficiency using a dao than long sword.

Just look how elegant the Tai Chi Jian work is compared to Dao demos. Certainly a higher level of dexterity is required.

Check out some the videos entitled 'New Frontier Chinese Civilization or Chinese Kung Fu Weapons of Kung Fu" Lots of good stuff on Wudang and Shaolin and martial arts/warfare on here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cctv9doc...?feature=watch
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 09-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

At least with the weapons I've learned, most of the weapons training in TCMA bear very little resemblance to how they were historically used.

Fighting with a spear depended on a few basic techniques and being able to fight in formation. In some of the more famous taolu, those techniques and strategies are there, yet embedded in opera performance.

As for the jian, things are even more tricky. When I learned damojian, the taolu uses one hand, but when I learned the two man drills and strategy, we'd use two hands.

The broad sword is more of a 'battlefield weapon" because of its hacking ability as opposed to the jian (at least for the past 300 years, or so), which may be for the scholar, the officer corps and others. The jian may have retained martial utility but it is not for the 'battlefield' as the Dao was!

The Big Sword Battalions were broad sword based so their function was already made by the actions of the common soldiers.

I would like to trade in my broadsword for a nice Jian someday - I was a muscle man - so I wanted the big one - my plan was to stay at least strong enough to handle a broadsword - just to make sure I never got way way way too weak in my old age - Teacher told me which one to get but I didn't listen - I like the flags on it more than anything - it's a little too long - it's 32 inches & should be 28 @ the most - I wold think - I have a nodachi that I do my taichi forms with - because I don't have a straight sword this one seems cool - I liked the black metal one as well - I don't remember the name , but I liked the blade on it with all the writing on it - but I liked the family art sword scabbard & handle - I couldn't afford to look anything more expensive - they are just for exercise though - I use them all daily - except the Jiedao - it's mainly to collect or even use for it's intended purpose if I'm ever traveling like that

I got a shaolin Jiedao to do forms with in a hall way - I was just using it in here - It's the only one I have that is sharpened - & I have to admit - I never noticed until just now how many opportunities I had to cut my arm off in the forms - no wonder they wouldn't deliver a sharp Broadsword - I would probably have at least cut my ear off by now
    Last edited by Cheng oi; 10-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.

I would need to learn the forms in the opposite direction as well - to be balanced - especially with that big heavy broadsword

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You're spot on with this, but you cannot change language. As a translator of Kung Fu as well as a product of Western fencing, I wish I could kick the arse of the first person who called a dao a broadsword. It was a complete mistranslation and it stuck. The term 'broadsword' arose to distinguish them from the more advanced thinner blades from the earlier thicker (or broader) ones. It was used primarily for straight blades.

The distinction between dao and jian by infantry and officer, as well as by level of sophistication in technique and effectiveness in battle, is really simple. But I think we've grown so detached from the realities of swordsmanship that people make up all sorts of ****amamie tales based on marginal observations. To keep it simple, it's much easier to handle a single-edged sword over a double-edged sword. This is true on every level. You need only to work with a live blade to see. What's more, it's far more difficult to make double-edged sword. Remember, real swords were made by hand, so to achieve symmetry and uniformity in a double-edged sword took far more skill. So with a jian, you had a more expensive weapon that required far more training to master. This made the jian more the property of the gentry who could afford to purchase such a weapon and pay for a teacher.

Like so many things, it's really all about the financials. Jian are considered more 'upper class' because for the most part, only the upper class could afford them.
    TRUE and WELL SAID
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

I'm glad I saw this -> The dangers of stainless steel swords
    I noticed stainless steel knives in the kitchen broke as well

---

you be the judge
    straight Vs Broad
    Last edited by Cheng oi; 10-07-2013 at 06:40 PM.

"100 consecutive days to internalize the Saber.

10,000 consecutive days to internalize the Sword."
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Blog Entries
    After I watched that vid...somehow I ended up clicking on this:

Skip to the 5:00min mark if you wanna see 2 pigs get cut...

Chinese War Sword : Cold Steel Swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQiaurIiDM

Kinda interesting...But I just don't think I have a reason to own one of these.

I didn't check how much they want for one either.

Still it counts as a single edged knife eh?
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"