Thread: Kelly McCann's List of PIN's

Kelly McCann's List of PIN's

Hello:

*bows deeply*

I posted Kelly McCann's List of PIN's (Pre-Incident Indicators) (and the full chapter of his book) to my site awhile ago. Went on vacation and got back and busy with work. My sincerest apologies for not posting here earlier. Any PIN is meant as a sign of potential trouble and hopefully you are aware of the PIN and deal accordingly with the situation at hand.

Here is the list:

PREINCIDENT INDICATORS

•Unnatural impediment to your movement
    •Correlation of someone's movement to your own.
    •Any sudden change in a person's status as you get near or pass them.
    •Predatory movements (circling, two or more people moving in opposite directions, etc.)
    •Any verbal exchange initiated by a stranger
    •Target glancing
    •Persons closing on you from an oblique angle that intersects with your path.
    •A hand hidden that causes unnatural movement by someone as they walk toward you.
    •Bumps, shoves, pushes or grabs
    •Relative absence of other people or authorities
    •Automobiles stopping alongside you or slightly to the front or rear as you walk along
    •Any obvious intoxicated person
    •Any second pass of a vehicle
    •Obvious attempts at baiting you
    •Glances between strangers as they approach, impede, hail or otherwise interact with you
    •The calmest-appearing individual in a verbal altercation; not always the guy in your face

He discusses further each PIN in the chapter I transcribed here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/09...before-it.html

Hope this helps! Stay aware and safe!!

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,
    ~sg

I think everyone should have that kind of situational awareness. I was talking about it with a friend today. I was trying to explain how useful it is and some techniques that aren't very obvious for not only identifying threats, but know everything around you, threat or not. When I walk down a street, I know if somebody is behind me and how many there are, what their pace is relative to mine etc etc. You don't have to turn around and look. You have peripheral vision, reflective surfaces, hearing, creating situations where taking a direct look seems natural and not obvious etc etc.

Whether you feel danger or not, whether you're a fighter or not, everyone should have these skills. They are useful on so many levels. You should be able to walk into a room and know how many where there after you have passed through at a minimum. IMO anyways. On the most basic level, it just makes everything a lil more efficient, even if it's only you that has that awareness. When I am in the grocery aisle with my cart, I know if somebody is behind me and how fast they are moving, I will never be in their way. Same goes for driving, whatever. Not having that awareness quite often makes you an impediment to others, and the saddest part of that is that you aren't even aware you're holding people up. It just seems douchey to me to not have that awareness.

Greetings Stickgrappler,
    thanks for sharing this, although much of it should be considered natural instinct it's always good to remind ourselves and be aware of potential threats.

I think number three regarding status interesting ... I guess this would include breathing, stance, and possibly an increased speed of movement ?.

Number six - Target glancing is usually a sure sign in most places, although being a foreigner living in China I have to constantly remind myself that it is customary here for most people to just blatently stare at anyone who is 'alien', anywhere else though..... LOL !.

Thanks also for sharing a great web site - I have just read the piece on Bowie knifes which I enjoyed greatly. I think I will be spending quite some time there - so many good articles !.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I think everyone should have that kind of situational awareness. I was talking about it with a friend today. I was trying to explain how useful it is and some techniques that aren't very obvious for not only identifying threats, but know everything around you, threat or not. When I walk down a street, I know if somebody is behind me and how many there are, what their pace is relative to mine etc etc. You don't have to turn around and look. You have peripheral vision, reflective surfaces, hearing, creating situations where taking a direct look seems natural and not obvious etc etc.

Whether you feel danger or not, whether you're a fighter or not, everyone should have these skills. They are useful on so many levels. You should be able to walk into a room and know how many where there after you have passed through at a minimum. IMO anyways. On the most basic level, it just makes everything a lil more efficient, even if it's only you that has that awareness. When I am in the grocery aisle with my cart, I know if somebody is behind me and how fast they are moving, I will never be in their way. Same goes for driving, whatever. Not having that awareness quite often makes you an impediment to others, and the saddest part of that is that you aren't even aware you're holding people up. It just seems douchey to me to not have that awareness.
    Hello Syn7:

*bows deeply*

I totally agree, and to your point of doucheness on lacking awareness - some pedestrians in NYC on narrow sidewalks starts up a conversation with a friend in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking the rest of the pedestrians! Or drivers waiting for the traffic light and texting and holding up traffic!

Thank you!

~sg

Quote Originally Posted by GETHIN View Post
    Greetings Stickgrappler,
    thanks for sharing this, although much of it should be considered natural instinct it's always good to remind ourselves and be aware of potential threats.

I think number three regarding status interesting ... I guess this would include breathing, stance, and possibly an increased speed of movement ?.

Number six - Target glancing is usually a sure sign in most places, although being a foreigner living in China I have to constantly remind myself that it is customary here for most people to just blatently stare at anyone who is 'alien', anywhere else though..... LOL !.

Thanks also for sharing a great web site - I have just read the piece on Bowie knifes which I enjoyed greatly. I think I will be spending quite some time there - so many good articles !.

Best wishes.
    Hello GETHIN:

*bows deeply*

Thank you for your kind words regarding my site! I truly hope you will find more useful info on there to help your Sojourn of Septillion Steps!

Re: Bowie Knife - it's was totally amazing that Maxime Chouinard had that 'find'. Given the lack of documentation of the origin of the Bowie Knife, it was awesome that actual instruction survived time to make it to us today in the 21st century!

For other members, GETHIN is talking about this:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/05...wie-knife.html

Thank you again!

~sg
    Last edited by Stickgrappler; 09-19-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: deleted duped text

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    Hello Syn7:

*bows deeply*

I totally agree, and to your point of doucheness on lacking awareness - some pedestrians in NYC on narrow sidewalks starts up a conversation with a friend in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking the rest of the pedestrians! Or drivers waiting for the traffic light and texting and holding up traffic!

Thank you!

~sg
    No doubt. The worst is slow people who walk side by side and never think "maybe I'm in the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    No doubt. The worst is slow people who walk side by side and never think "maybe I'm in the way?"
    When they turn the cart sideways across the aisle at Wal Mart and have an inbred family reunion right in the way...

Just wanna sucker punch a complete stranger....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    When they turn the cart sideways across the aisle at Wal Mart and have an inbred family reunion right in the way...

Just wanna sucker punch a complete stranger....
    This is why I only go to Wal Mart if I need ammo or am low on my quota of desperation.