Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Self Defense a Myth?

best "self defense"is to learn to live in a way that avoids conflict... ironically, most TCMA went from living a pretty normal life to being exposed to unsavory and dangerous people by studying so called "self defense"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    But I agree that the best 'defense' is to simply not be where the trouble is, or doing your best to avoid it. Problem is, that isn't always possible.
    No it isn't always possible; and best laid plans and all....there are no guarantees...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

No it isn't always possible; and best laid plans and all....there are no guarantees...
    never impossible, but always less and less probable depending upon how you think and conduct yourself....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    best "self defense"is to learn to live in a way that avoids conflict... ironically, most TCMA went from living a pretty normal life to being exposed to unsavory and dangerous people by studying so called "self defense"
    Your very experienced with both sides of the coin...would you agree that there is a very different mindset in developing a fighter, as opposed to working self defense?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Your very experienced with both sides of the coin...would you agree that there is a very different mindset in developing a fighter, as opposed to working self defense?
    NO, totallly DISAGREE....

violence is violence

never noticed how many 'sport fighters" get into street and bar fights??

take a guy who has all that ring or cage experience against the guy who took a "self defense program" in a bar fight and the "sport fighter" eats his lunch

violence is violence

take a guy who has all that ring or cage experience against the guy who took a "self defense program" in a bar fight and the "sport fighter" eats his lunch
    But is a bar fight self defense?

Take a sport fighter or SD guy, have them walking down the street or taking their girl to her car in a parking garage and have someone out-of-the-blue slam them upside the head with a brick. Then two of their buds start kicking the sh*t out of the guy as another drags the girl off to do who knows what.

violence is violence

Yes, because self defense doesn't develop the same mind set as fighting, because it's not the same thing. That's what I was getting at....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    But is a bar fight self defense?
    "self defense" is bullshit

how many people have been hit in the head with a brick and stompted by three guys who were just innocently walking down the street?

Yes, because self defense doesn't develop the same mind set as fighting, because it's not the same thing. That's what I was getting at....
    people come in for a "self defense class" and don't want to get sweaty, they don't want to get hit, they don't want someone on top of them on teh ground grabbing at them... and all that is exactly what will happen in "da real fight"

I like to walk up to people in self defense seminars and just SCREAM AT THEM AS LOUD AS I CAN.... I haven't even touched them and most have their heart pounding and jump

"self defense" is bullshit

how many people have been hit in the head with a brick and stompted by three guys who were just innocently walking down the street?
    idk - but Gene and I were just discussing an article in the busted MMAists thread about a gun/pawn shop owner getting smacked in the head with a hammer in his store while he was talking to the distraction (woman posing as a customer). And those clips I posted looked pretty legit - lots of people getting jumped by any number of thugs - the second is a guy getting beat down in a parking garage while one drags his woman away.

and I agree 100 % - SD is bullsh*t. So that goes back to my original question - is a bar fight self defense?

idk - but Gene and I were just discussing an article in the busted MMAists thread about a gun/pawn shop owner getting smacked in the head with a hammer in his store while he was talking to the distraction (woman posing as a customer). And those clips I posted looked pretty legit - lots of people getting jumped by any number of thugs - the second is a guy getting beat down in a parking garage while one drags his woman away.
    in your business you need SECURITY, especially if you are dealing in cash, jewlry or guns... not really "self defense"

As for a bunch of guys jumping you in a parking garage to "drag your woman away"... do you really think a self defense course is going to give you an easy out of that situation???

Where was the garage btw, detroit?

You'd think Detroit -

Gladwin, about as far away from anywhere as you can find. Super small town surrounded by a lot of trees and farms. Big Amish community there too. It's an area where people leave there cars running and unlocked when they go into stores. Half the people don't even lock their homes.

You'd think Detroit -

Gladwin, about as far away from anywhere as you can find. Super small town surrounded by a lot of trees and farms. Big Amish community there too. It's an area where people leave there cars running and unlocked when they go into stores. Half the people don't even lock their homes.
    ah, but there is the problem, "bad people" know that the peopel there don't pay attention and are easy pickings, and likely the people you speak of were not aware and/or did something that set them up

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC