Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Self Defense a Myth?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    ah, but there is the problem, "bad people" know that the peopel there don't pay attention and are easy pickings, and likely the people you speak of were not aware and/or did something that set them up
    true - but that's also a point in why SD is bullsh*t. You're right about them not really wanting to do any real training, and a sport fighter in theory should be able to put up a better fight. But violence is something that people should want to avoid 'cuz it's nasty. Too many Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen movies make people think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    true - but that's also a point in why SD is bullsh*t. You're right about them not really wanting to do any real training, and a sport fighter in theory should be able to put up a better fight. But violence is something that people should want to avoid 'cuz it's nasty. Too many Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen movies make people think otherwise.
    nice people cant be fighters. you will never be successful.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    nice people cant be fighters. you will never be successful.
    Martial athletes can be some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Most of them aren't pr!cks or hot heads, they're totally normal and cool.

Martial athletes can be some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Most of them aren't pr!cks or hot heads, they're totally normal and cool.
    no, they aren't, son.

point me to the detaisl fo this attack and I can give you a better opinion

violence is somethign people should want to avoid, and tehy simply don't

want to cut significantly your chances of violence? don't go where people drink in excess, but that means bars, sports venues, music concerts etc

come home early instead of late

take a taxi instead of public transportation if it is late

etc etc
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

depends upon the combat sport

but in all I've known a fair share of douchebags

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Alpha males typically have a higher chance of coming off like jerks. Most fighters are alpha males. There are some exceptions, but the ratio is way in favor of the former.

That isn't to say all alphas are d1cks, it's just an odds thang.

I also feel I should mention that I make a distinction between martial artists and fighters. It's not a style thing, it's a mentality thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Alpha males typically have a higher chance of coming off like jerks. Most fighters are alpha males. There are some exceptions, but the ratio is way in favor of the former.
    you don't train fighters or deal with many of them do you?

you don't train fighters or deal with many of them do you?
    Train with. Mostly nice guys. Smattering of douchebags. Lots of ego, but that in itself isn't what makes some people intolerable. But it's mos def a different ratio than I see in other areas of my life.

for someone who is morally upstanding, if the situation gets far enough that there is engagement, you have done what you can to try and avoid the conflict, but it happens anyway, be prepared to hurt someone or be hurt. this scenario is the worst case scenario. hopefully in most cases you can mitigate the instigation with talk, posture and diplomacy.

of course you have the degree in which you've been able to assess a situation...who is assaulting you, if they have friends, where you are, are there weapons involved, escape routes, do you have back up, etc.

all factors considered, when it comes down to trading blows or wrestling a stranger I have to assume that they will not hold back, they are willing to hurt me seriously, and that they are skilled at doing so.

this is pretty much the way i've always approached stranger conflict. in most all cases i've been able to get through without having to fight, but not always. there have been several times where it doesnt matter what you say or do, that person is intent on hurting you regardless of anything you can do to de-escelate the situation.

in that case i feel its best to attack without restraint. if you are in a situation where you are actually capable of restraining yourself with that person during a fight, then you severly outclass them and you screwed up in the first place letting things get that far, and after your dump or drop them a couple times they will stop or they will get help.

retaliation can be a real concern, but that comes down to where you are, who you're in an altercation with, and who you are. in most cases you won't be dealing with a gangbanger or a thug that's going to take it that far, but thats a judgment call at the time. again thats primarily going to come down to location in many cases.

when it comes down to it and you find yourself in that situation, its best to fight as if your life depended on it, because you never know, it just may. even if that person is not trying to kill you but just hurt you, accidents happen, people get carried away, and 'stray bullets' can kill.

anyone who has been in a 'fight for your life' situation knows the difference in the way you will behave and react and what you will be willing and able to do. i've been there once when i was very young and it changed my mindset towards violence for the rest of my life. you push me that far, i will do my best to make sure i'm the one that prevails.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Train with. Mostly nice guys. Smattering of douchebags. Lots of ego, but that in itself isn't what makes some people intolerable. But it's mos def a different ratio than I see in other areas of my life.
    no fighter is a nice guy. unless hes a tomato can.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    no fighter is a nice guy. unless hes a tomato can.
    They can be nice guys, but they tend to have another side and be very driven. People with a powerful drive tend to offend people without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

people come in for a "self defense class" and don't want to get sweaty, they don't want to get hit, they don't want someone on top of them on teh ground grabbing at them... and all that is exactly what will happen in "da real fight"
    This is the problem. These people cannot be taught to fight.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

He's right about the psychological profile. This sort of thing is not for everyone.

People try to market martial arts as "something for everyone." This requires completely changing the context until it is unrecognizable.

Blog Entries
    This is the problem. These people cannot be taught to fight.
    In another forum, someone said, "Why should you train hard? It will limit your social life, no time for anything else, no money benefit, ..."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument