Thread: One of the TCMA training methods

Blog Entries

One of the TCMA training methods

When I trained TCMA, if my teacher taught me a move in the morning, he would expect me to use it that evening. I can't remember how many times that he had screemed at me, "Why didn't you try the move that I taught you yesterday?" He just wanted to me to "try" it. Succeed or fail was not important.

- The more that I had tried a move,
    - the better chance that I might like that move, and
    - the better chance that move could end up in my toolbox someday.
    - The moment a move is in my toolbox, I'll have the rest of my life to "enhance" and "polish" it.
    - But I have to find it, make sure that I like it, and put it into my toolbox first (If I don't like a move, and will never use it, it will be a waste of time to "enhance" and "polish" that move).

There are 61 categories of throws. both categories of "foot sweep" and "leg block" all have more than 30 different techniques. Nobody has time to train them all in his life time. A teacher needs to help his students to find the throws that they like before any "serious" training can even start. I was trained this way. My teacher was a TCMA teacher. So I believe this is also "one of the TCMA training methods".

What's your opinion about this training method? Do you think this method can also be applied to the striking art?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-19-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    What's your opinion about this training method? Do you think this method can also be applied to the striking art?
    That is what I do with the students, but I go a step further. It's not up to the students just to try the move. I structure the training, drilling, and sparring activity so that they have to use the move.

I also will break the sparring and give feedback when there is an opportunity to explain or coach based on a student's action/response.

This is true of (our) pak mei as well.
    We have 8 'hands', styles of using your hands. Students naturally tend towards one type or another and you help them develop that, in an organic kind of way, being that it is what they are drawn towards.

After awhile, you become conscience of the other hands, the ones you are weak in and the ones you don't do at all, and you begin to work on those. i.e. some guys are good boxers, some are good grabbers, some are good avoiders, that kind of thing.

Guiding a student into their natural strength, then expanding from there is a one of the teaching lessons, and pretty universal at that....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

- The more that I had tried a move,
    - the better chance that I might like that move, and
    - the better chance that move could end up in my toolbox someday.
    - The moment a move is in my toolbox, I'll have the rest of my life to "enhance" and "polish" it.
    - But I have to find it, make sure that I like it, and put it into my toolbox first (If I don't like a move, and will never use it, it will be a waste of time to "enhance" and "polish" that move).

There two approaches.

1 We find out our best moves. We practice them and hone them to perfection.

2 We find out our weak points. We practice to cover them with other moves. Or we practice to correct them, so that they will not be our weakness anymore.

What to do with your time and practice ?

Entirely up to you.

Mike Tyson is known for left hook punch.

What are you known for or good for ?

Blog Entries
    Method 1: Some people think that one can develop skill from "solo training". To me, you can stay in this solo posture for 10 years, you still won't be able to apply your "shin bite".

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/7194/npr0.jpg

Method 2: But if you train this "shin bite" drills with your training partner and test it in wrestling, that technique may be in your toolbox some day.

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/3005/changlegseize.jpg

Somebody may say that the 2nd training method won't be able to build "proper structure and coil skills". I strongly disagree on that.

What people think you can develop fully from only solo training?
    Call them out. Demonstrate why they are being stupid.
    Hopefully they shut up after that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

there is a "problem"

maybe today the problem is; what to do when the person throws the cross

the system and/or the teacher has 5 methods as "answer"

as a fighter, you have maybe only one "answer"

but before you are a fighter, you are a student

so the student learns 5 "answers", and drills them all day

that night, I want to see an answer, but your answer may be different than the other 9 students in class
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    What people think you can develop fully from only solo training?
    When someone said, "But of course 200 reps of anything done improperly is just dumb."

He assumes that if you don't train "solo" for ... years, your body is not able to do anything right. Anything that you do will be improper and dumb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    but your answer may be different than the other 9 students in class
    People's answer usually will connect to their favor "finish moves". A

- striker may move back to remain the striking distance.
    - grappler may move in to obtain the clinch.

People's answer usually will connect to their favor "finish moves". A striker may move back to remain the striking distance. A grappler may move in to obtain the clinch.
    yes, agree completely, all fighters have their "game"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Studies have shown that we learn in movements in two ways:

High repetitive movements over a short period of time.
    This leads to short-term muscle memory but can't be sustained to effect long term muscle and nerve memory.

Low repetitive movements over a long period of time.
    This leads to long term neuro-muscular memory of said movement(s).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I would study a technique a day usually for four hours in the afternoon after a morning of forms - this would be six, sometimes seven days per week.
    The tech's I learned were all 'walking' tech's, in that they could be practised with a partner or alone- by walking in a prescibed manner. I was always worried I would forget stuff.
    After training I would be tired, but no matter what, every evening I always made rough notes which went into a cheap notebook, these included pictures of matchsick men (LOL !) footwork,application etc.I videoed everything.
    Whenever I had the time I would try to copy my notes out - I like to dabble with paint so that kinda helps... it all helps me to remember.
    Nowadays I have my original notes, my 'written-up' notes and video. Of the hundreds of tech's I have learned, there are only a handful I would resort to, but I think that making notes has certainly helped me to remember, understand and come to terms with them.
    Below is an example - please excuse spelling.

Those are pretty impressive notes...I can't even read mine....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!