Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how have you confronted your fear?

The larger fight is internal. Only by confronting our fear and knowing ourselves can we hope to truly succeed in the fight that is life.

As Sun Tzu said in "The Art of War":
    "
    It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
    "

Swimming with sharks isn't as crazy as people seem to think. There's a time and place, with the right gear and attitude... anyone can do it.

Most people will **** themselves if they swim openly with a great white shark in the water (well some people can do crazy things but a lot are talk). Some sharks aren't that frightening because they're are not that dangerous.

I was reading a book by an ex special forces soldier (SAS who are the best in the world) who stated that he was extremely scared of parachuting but he conquered it! So even they can fear.

haha throw a tarantula or huntsman in front of most people and see if they can eat it at a whim. Some military people survive off that sort of thing. I suppose the Chinese eat insects though.

JTF2 is your go to team in special forces.
    Even the Americans know that. lol
    They're the only ones accepted into Tier 1 with them (American SF).

Not that I don't admire SAS, but lets not get carried away with who's best here.
    JTF2 is ridiculously classified as well.

anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I imagine all 5 eyes have pretty decent special forces.

Everyone has Special Forces these days. It has become no different than all these people claiming to be MA Masters!

I think most people know the "Extra"-Special Forces are the best anyway!

You can tell because they are "Extra"-Special!

Quote Originally Posted by crazychang View Post
    haha throw a tarantula or huntsman in front of most people and see if they can eat it at a whim. Some military people survive off that sort of thing. I suppose the Chinese eat insects though.
    Once in Taiwan, I saw an outdoor food vendor selling very big grasshoppers on sticks. They *might* have been cooked, I don't know; but they were whole, and at least they were dead. If I were obsessed with confronting every fear, I might have bought one and forced myself to eat it. But since I wasn't stuck in a jungle starving, and a few feet away were foods being sold that were actually appetizing, I opted not to.

Hunger will lead you to do things you may not normally do. In natural disasters, the stuff really hits the fan when the food starts getting low. That's when people turn on eachother real quick. People who have been friends for years will kill eachother. I don't think many people would choose death over eating a spider.

As for doing it for the sake of doing it? Why? To make some point? To me that's like that dumb knife game where you go back and forth between your fingers. That's lil dick stuff. Unless you like the taste or it's a part of your culture or you are put in a situation where it's necessary, or training for that necessity(which would mean doing it once and being able to identify and deal with them for food), why would you eat a huntsman? Come on. That is not strength, it's insecurity. A weakness, in my opinion.

I've ate a lot of weird stuff, not to conquer fear or to prove any point, just because it was set before me. When in Rome....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Yeah, for sure. That's another beast. And I highly doubt you walked away telling everyone how hardcore you are cause you did it. In my opinion, what makes some soldiers hardcore is the sheer amount of work they put in to perfect their craft. The excellence of it. The ability to persevere through the harshest conditions. Eating a spider doesn't even make the list.

As far as conquering personal fear of insects by eating them... do what ya gotta, but we shouldn't confuse that for anything other than what it clearly is.

I've eaten some unorthodox stuff, just to try it out of curiosity. Most tastes fine if you can get past the ick factor. Some people won't eat anything other than what they are desensitized to. That's all well and good, until it's not. Those people would be the first to go in a survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I've ate a lot of weird stuff, not to conquer fear or to prove any point, just because it was set before me. When in Rome....
    Good point. I've eaten some things I wouldn't normally consider because I was served it as a guest. Any aversion I might've felt was put aside, because I knew it was far more important not to hurt or offend my hosts. And once or twice, I actually found myself enjoying the unusual food. (Luckily, no grasshoppers on a stick yet, though).

Eating something strange has nothing to do with conquering fear. I'm still afraid of the animals I have eaten coming back to bite me. The ghosts of snapping turtles, dogs, ducks, donkeys and bambi haunt me nightly.
    Last edited by Sima Rong; 09-29-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Hunger will lead you to do things you may not normally do.
    Donner Party anyone?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    Eating something strange has nothing to do with conquering fear. I'm still afraid of the animals I have eaten coming back to bite me. The ghosts of snapping turtles, dogs, ducks, donkeys and bambi haunt me nightly.
    When I was a kid, my mom told me to be careful in the lake because snapping turtles may bite my toes. She had a weird sense of humour like that. It stuck in my mind for years anytime I was swimming in water where I couldn't see the bottom. But only in lakes, for some reason swimming in 300 feet of ocean never really bothered me. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Donner Party anyone?
    Ummm. prolly not, but thanx for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    When I was a kid, my mom told me to be careful in the lake because snapping turtles may bite my toes. She had a weird sense of humour like that. It stuck in my mind for years anytime I was swimming in water where I couldn't see the bottom. But only in lakes, for some reason swimming in 300 feet of ocean never really bothered me. Funny how that works.
    I just don't swim in the lake because it's dirty as hell and I have a pool. James I did notice but I didn't wanna be the one to point it out . Anyway yeah that is weird, the time I did swim in the ocean the salty water burns my eyes, I guess you probably get used to it over time or something.