Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how have you confronted your fear?

how have you confronted your fear?

Fear is like fire. You can make it work for you: it can warm you in the winter, cook your food when you’re hungry, give you light when you are in the dark, and produce energy. Let it go out of control and it can hurt you, even kill you….Fear is a friend of exceptional people.”
    - Cus D'Amato
    we all know how Cus D'Amato's proteges faced their fear

how do most TCMA students address this essential issue?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    we all know how Cus D'Amato's proteges faced their fear

how do most TCMA students address this essential issue?
    By comforting themselves with reassuring compliments.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

What is fear?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

How can a man know fear, when he feels so comfy wearing silk pajamas?

Blog Entries
    I have heard something like this. "We all have fear. How to deal with it is the difference."
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Most kung fu students dont deal with fear. Their thinking is along the lines of "I dont wanna know what its like to get hit, so Il just tell everyone I train for health.

Actually training for "self improvement" should involve a lot of getting hit, that is overcoming a fear which can transfer over into other aspects of life, whether its fear or public speaking, fear of quitting smoking etc etc

Here we go with the supposition

Just tell your own story instead of pretending you know how "most people" or "most schools" operate.

because you don't.

I overcome fear by simply facing it.

Work issue with a co-worker? Face it. Speak to it. Resolve it. Know where you stand.

Physical beef? Fight. Win or lose. Get it done with if you think that is what is required for you to resolve.

and so on.

The same thing that stops you from telling your Dad you love him. that same ego bull crap applies as fear. That fear of intimacy. etc.

You won't get over fear in one experience where you face it, Fear is with you your whole life and will present itself. You will learn to deal with it. How you deal with it is how you will identify yourself and how others will identify with you (if that has import for you.)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have heard something like this. "We all have fear. How to deal with it is the difference."
    Fear is nothing more than fear itself.

Some people like to say that fear is a beast or a demon.

Fear feeds upon fear. It grows like a tumor.

We acknowledge its existence and move on.

Do not feed the fear with more fear.

Or cut it out or off with a surgical blade.

I remember a t-shirt that said "pain is just fear leaving the body" Training brings forth a lot of pain for me, so I cant have any fear right???
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

I confront my fear by calmly performing siu nim tao to Tibetan chanting.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

when you learn to believe in yourself, and learn to control your mind in stressful and difficult situations, such as fighting, then it doesn't matter what you are afraid of, or if you have fear or no fear.

fear, anger, hatred, love, happiness, etc. are all meaningless within a calmed mind.

like all others, fear is just an emotional response to circumstance and attachment.

you will begin to believe in yourself when you have practiced, and tested yourself, and you will learn to control your mind in various high stress situations through meditation and/or the act of putting yourself in that/those position(s).

when you have achieved a state of mind that allows you to control your emotional state, you can then use your emotions as tools to help you succeed.

fear can teach you and show you a path, or it can control you, and lead you to failure.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I don't have any fear that I can identify.

I may be cautious about something, for example meeting a bear on the trail, but I don't think I fear anything.

To fear you must first have something to lose. If you are already empty, you have nothing to lose, and thus no fear.

I was/am afraid of heights.
    So I sky dived.
    When I was younger a got a good scare in the Atlantic, so I learned how to swim PROPERLY and I learned to respect the ocean ( I swim any chance I get).
    Fighting was easier.
    I was never really scared of fighting BUT being, typically, the runt of the litter (LOL) I knew that size mattered, so every chance I got I would fight bigger guys.

Fear teaches us what we need to overcome.
    How we go about doing that is quite easy.
    DOING it, now that is another matter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You could also just get up and answer the door naked one day.
    Conquers your own fear and transfers it to the other guy/girl who knocked on your door.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

we fear for things valuable for us.