Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for Graham

Questions for Graham

Graham wrote:
    I haven't really read everything on this thread. It's boring but if you are unsure about anything related to WSLPBVT from SLT to BCD then I will be happy to answer instead of any cloak and dagger BS. Sean is prepared to answer as well as Kev and T.ray will be so come on man!

Ok. Fair enough Graham! That thread was getting rather cumbersome! So I thought we could start out fresh. Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Let's start with this one. I asked it twice on the other thread and it was ignored both times:

1. What is the difference between saying that things can be used for more than one purpose (applied in various ways) and saying that you see them in an "abstract, non-specific way"? Doesn't "non-specific" imply that it can be done in more than one way?

2. I've seen it stated several times that Taan Sau is meant for training the elbow for the punch. I can see how this would be the case. But is Taan Sau used as a Taan Sau itself?

3. In regards to the movement in the Chum Kiu form pivoting between Bong Sau and Lan Sau, you said that this is only for improving the mechanics and concept of what Chum Kiu is teaching you, and that there should be no application attached to this action. So does it matter how you perform the Bong and Lan? In other words is there a "correct" and an "incorrect" way of doing the pivoting between Bong and Lan?

4. What do you guys mean by the term "applications"?

5. In general, how do you physically express the concepts taught in the forms? I know this sounds like a odd and very generalized question, but it was said that you train concepts, not specific techniques. So I'm wondering how you see that being done, if not by using specific techniques?

I think that's a good start? The intent here is to bring some clarity to recent discussions, so please guys don't take this off on a tangent with the typical name calling, lineage bashing, Johnson measuring and other fun stuff that we usually see!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    1. What is the difference between saying that things can be used for more than one purpose (applied in various ways) and saying that you see them in an "abstract, non-specific way"? Doesn't "non-specific" imply that it can be done in more than one way?
    The same difference between having various pre-conceived 1:1 applications for one specific technique, and the spontaneous application of concepts in action organically produced in a fighting situation. One is an art, the other is a skill.

2. I've seen it stated several times that Taan Sau is meant for training the elbow for the punch. I can see how this would be the case. But is Taan Sau used as a Taan Sau itself?
    While we've established in the LSJC thread it's possible to be used that way, by far its preferred and primary function is the punch. Out of curiosity, what do you think a taan punch is?

3. In regards to the movement in the Chum Kiu form pivoting between Bong Sau and Lan Sau, you said that this is only for improving the mechanics and concept of what Chum Kiu is teaching you, and that there should be no application attached to this action. So does it matter how you perform the Bong and Lan? In other words is there a "correct" and an "incorrect" way of doing the pivoting between Bong and Lan?
    Since it is for improving mechanics obviously there is a correct way to do it.

T_Ray made it pretty clear in the other thread. "The opponent throws this kind of punch and we use a _____". That is 1:1 application. But we don't do that.

5. In general, how do you physically express the concepts taught in the forms? I know this sounds like a odd and very generalized question, but it was said that you train concepts, not specific techniques. So I'm wondering how you see that being done, if not by using specific techniques?
    See response #1.

Hey LJF, you aren't from the PB lineage? I recall them ridiculing you pretty thoroughly recently?

You didn't really answer half the questions. I'm still waiting for Graham.

WSLVT, and no, they conceded each one of my points eventually.

I answered each of your questions. I guess half of them went over your head. I don't think you'll do much better with Graham.

LFJ is on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ray View Post
    If you can see it....Why were you never taught this?
    I'm also curious as to what KPM thinks a taan punch is if he can see it but has not been taught it.

What as in some kind of "application"? No.
    Then you won't mind answering my question above:

A point that stands out for me... and if you dont mind me asking a question?

Yes, I do mind. Graham offered to answer questions to help clear up some of the mess in threads recently. You aren't going to turn this into another atttack on what I think.

WSLVT, and no, they conceded each one of my points eventually.

No. Not really. I guess you have a faulty memory.

I answered each of your questions. I guess half of them went over your head. I don't think you'll do much better with Graham.

Well, I guess congratulations are in order. It appears you passed their initiation hazzing. Now you are starting to sound just like them!

This question has been answered so many times, including right here in this very thread.
    I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm only asking because that does not make it clear. If an opponent throws a punch, what do you do? Do you respond with a Pak Da? Do you respond with an excluding punch? Do you step off-line and strike under his arm? I know you are going to say that you respond in the moment with nothing pre-determined. But we all do that. What I am getting at, is that in my mind any 1:1 correspondence of one technique to another...however spontaneous...is still an "application" of that technique. In other words, if an opponent has punched at you and spontaneously you Pak and punch in return, that is a 1:1 application of the Pak Da to a punching attack....whether it is completely spontaneous and unplanned or not. So we've been doing all this arguing, and I keep thinking..."but that IS an application." That's why I said we were arguing semantics. So I'm asking you to clarify a little more clearly what you consider an "application", because I don't think its what I have been considering as an "application. Does that make sense?

So does this mean you only train partner work via Chi Sau? (And sparring)

You never, for example, have a partner agree to just feed you punches so you can work on, say, Pak Da with angling and/or footwork for entering?
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

I don't have the VHS anymore (maybe it's on YouTube), but it think WSL showed Tan Sau used as Tan Da in his Science of In-Fighting video, no?

Blog Entries
    We dont do specific fighting applications.
    We all need to be able to deal with the following situation:

- boxer's hook,
    - MT guy's roundhouse kick,
    - TKD's side kick,
    - Judo guy's hip throw,
    - wrestler's single leg,

We just can't "simulate" those scenarios in sticky hand training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Maybe we just call it by a different name.

We train lots of development drills like this; aimed at working interception, footwork, taking balance, exploiting angles, improving timing and distance judgement, eating up space, closing off someone's attacking options.

We refer to them as applications as we're, well, applying stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Maybe we just call it by a different name.

We train lots of development drills like this; aimed at working interception, footwork, taking balance, exploiting angles, improving timing and distance judgement, eating up space, closing off someone's attacking options.

We refer to them as applications as we're, well, applying stuff.
    You poor misguided tool , tsk , tsk , do you lean and redirect while all this is going on ?? ; )

Well, I try to follow your lead, Kevin, and exhibit extreme tension.

But to answer your question, such as it was, sometimes there is redirecting. Pak Sau for example connects as a punch is still on it's forward path, so the action naturally moves it slightly off of its original path.