Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
Quote Originally Posted by LFJ
Some folks fixate on "technique" application. So they ask questions like you; "what do you do if someone punches you like this?" with ideas of technique responses like paak-da and taan-da, etc.. In the end you're still asking what technique we will use to respond. If we do that, we are back to preset 1:1 application, and as we're trying to explain, we don't do that.
No, that's not what I mean. If your Chi Sau partner suddenly shoves you away as he steps back and launches a hard kickboxer style sidekick, how do you respond? Maybe you sidestep, maybe you Gan Sau, maybe you Gum Sau...or something else. It's not "preset."
You've done exactly the same thing. You've given a hypothetical attack and offered three possible responses. However spontaneously you apply them, those are your preset techniques to defend against the sidekick.

I assume you pull these out and drill them too? That's the type of conditioned technique response we don't do, 1:1 applications.

to ensure that you are prepared for such a thing when sparring or fighting a non-Wing Chun guy. Same for someone shooting in for the takedown. I don't think "standard" Wing Chun training prepares you for things like that. Do you?
Yes, I do. Is your Wing Chun designed to fight only other Wing Chun practitioners? That's like a sport or game, not a realistic approach to fighting.

In other words, how do you train or prepare for "non-Wing Chun" attacks that are very different from what you practice on a daily basis?
The VT I train is usable against any kind of fighter, as it should be. So I don't understand your question.

How do you know for sure you can stop a boxer's tight hook if no one has ever thrown one at you?
Well, first of all, I don't try to stop a boxer's tight hook and I will neither be in range nor stood in position for it like you see boxers doing all the time. The first school I had years ago was shared with boxing and MT trainers. We had a ring and sparred together regularly in the evenings. Good times.