Thread: Knock Down Punch

Blog Entries

Knock Down Punch

I'm very interesting in these knock down punches. When I put it in slow speed 0.125x, I find something very interest. In both knock down punches, the MT guy's back foot was in the air. Both punches look very similar. This guy must train this punch over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tZB1HmFpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScSJ2-ov_YU

My simple questions are:

- What did he do right to be able to generate knock down power?
    - If this kind of punch can be used to knock down your opponent, should you train exactly the same way?
    - Do you care what style this punch may come from?

What's your opinion on these?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

IME, I have found that if there is ONE crucial element ( and there is more than one) to a KO strike, that element is FOLLOW THROUGH, IE: Depth of penetration.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

In the first vid the reason the back foot leaves the ground is more about the setup than the follow through. If he was planted, he could probably hit harder, but watch the setup as he fakes the kick then pushes forward. His opponent motions to check the kick and is left vulnerable up top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IME, I have found that if there is ONE crucial element ( and there is more than one) to a KO strike, that element is FOLLOW THROUGH, IE: Depth of penetration.
    In the longfist system, it's called "long Jin". It's like to image your punching arm can go through your opponent's chest until your shoulder can hit his chest. That's a lot of "intend" there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    In the first vid the reason the back foot leaves the ground is more about the setup than the follow through. If he was planted, he could probably hit harder, but watch the setup as he fakes the kick then pushes forward. His opponent motions to check the kick and is left vulnerable up top.
    You are right. It's a groin kick, face punch combo. He used his kick just to draw his opponent's attention, he then stop his kick right there. It looks like a "superman punch" after that.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In the longfist system, it's called "long Jin". It's like to image your punching arm can go through your opponent's chest until your shoulder can hit his chest. That's a lot of "intend" there.
    Yep and how it ends up "looking" in the end is irrelevant.
    The person that gets KO'd would probably tell you that the strike was "good enough", LOL !

We've all seen examples of "picture perfect" Ko's and " I can't believe that KO'd the guy" Ko's and we have also seen "picture perfect" strikes do very little.

In the automotive industry they have done very comprehensive studies of what happens in crashes, the key element being impact forces and, from what I have read, compression is THE element/variable that makes the difference between a minor injury and death.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Worst hit I ever took was from a boxer. I don't even know how many times he hit me, but it was a lot, and fast.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Worst hit I ever took was from a boxer. I don't even know how many times he hit me, but it was a lot, and fast.
    He uses less tools more often.
    It's the boxing "secret"
    Kung Fu is good for you.