Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member

As there's no official moderating here, why don't we just moderate our own posts?

Rather than say someone's method is wrong, why don't we just agree to explain our take on it, and leave it at that? Whatever we say here, next week all these lineages will still exist.

Answer questions, respond to replies, and keep any negativity regarding it all to ourselves.

For my part, I'll stop verbally bumming Graham , I'll stop making digs about Kevin's clip and his seminar costs, etc, and I'll do my best not to mention 'punching concepts' unless I can do so in a nice way.

Why don't we all agree that tomorrow is Sensible Friday.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

[
    QUOTE=BPWT;1250140]As there's no official moderating here, why don't we just moderate our own posts?

Rather than say someone's method is wrong, why don't we just agree to explain our take on it, and leave it at that? Whatever we say here, next week all these lineages will still exist.

Answer questions, respond to replies, and keep any negativity regarding it all to ourselves.

For my part, I'll stop verbally bumming Graham , I'll stop making digs about Kevin's clip and his seminar costs, etc, and I'll do my best not to mention 'punching concepts' unless I can do so in a nice way.
    And I shall stop reffering to bpwt and his arseociates as clowns. ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 09-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    [

Okay As a sign of good faith, I've even removed you from my signature, Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post
    Okay As a sign of good faith, I've even removed you from my signature, Kevin.
    I too have removed equally inflammatory statements off mine ; )

[

Could you stop your cult of Bayer and be open minded? Otherwise you would be better off a Bayer worship forum...

Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    Could you stop your cult of Bayer and be open minded? Otherwise you would be better off a Bayer worship forum...
    Ignore me ; )

What are you going to do?......
    Carry on doing it the way you have learned? (Ignorance is bliss)
    Try to mix it with what you already know? (but complete re thinking is needed)
    Give up?...(I know of long-time instructors from other lineages taking this option).
    Or do you accept what you have discovered and re learn?

Heck no! I wouldn't dream of telling you that you should stop doing PBVT! Like I told Neil, if you've found something that works for you and makes sense for you....great! And I DO want to hear how you are seeing things differently. Same as I want to hear from JPinAZ how HFY might see something differently. What I don't wnat to hear is all the venum and lineage bashing that seems to go with it most of the time.

On this forum there are those who clearly have the same misconceptions that you had. What should we do?....Say nothing? How welcome do you think our views going to be?

Like I have tried to point out over and over, its HOW you say it. Do you want people to actually listen to what you have to say? Insulting them and their teachers is not exactly the way to get them to listen! Can you see that from our point of view?

It's a good point, especially within a particular lineage. Many people in the EWTO, over the years, have left the organization when they realized they were not really learning LT's system - but rather KK's interpretation coupled with his own ideas. Many left and had to try and find a way to learn LT's system, which was no easy task in Europe... where do you go?

Some found a way, others quit the system entirely, some just trained with other like-minded people, yet others left and joined another WC/VT lineage. Graham has pointed out how many EWTO people now learn from PB.... it is no shock to me.

But I think these things (the differences, the methods, etc) can be expressed in a way that doesn't lead to the slanging matches we engage in here (the exception being Sean, who remains polite all the time).

Maybe it's best to avoid saying "You are wrong/incorrect", etc.

For example, the way some people do Bong Sau is different to how I do mine. Your method has a logic to it that fits within your system, mine a logic that fits within mine. Secretly you might think, "My method works, his is crazy bad."

Let's keep these thoughts in our own heads, and simply explain why we do what we do.

Even with vastly different approaches, there are some commonalities. None of us are here to convert people to our method - and I'm sure if all I wanted to do was chat to LTWT guys I could find a forum for it. The fact that we all come to an 'open' forum for the art must mean we want to talk to people who do train in different ways, no?

It's a good point, especially within a particular lineage. Many people in the EWTO, over the years, have left the organization when they realized they were not really learning LT's system - but rather KK's interpretation coupled with his own ideas. Many left and had to try and find a way to learn LT's system, which was no easy task in Europe... where do you go?

Some found a way, others quit the system entirely, some just trained with other like-minded people, yet others left and joined another WC/VT lineage. Graham has pointed out how many EWTO people now learn from PB.... it is no shock to me.

But I think these things (the differences, the methods, etc) can be expressed in a way that doesn't lead to the slanging matches we engage in here (the exception being Sean, who remains polite all the time).

Maybe it's best to avoid saying "You are wrong/incorrect", etc.

For example, the way some people do Bong Sau is different to how I do mine. Your method has a logic to it that fits within your system, mine a logic that fits within mine. Secretly you might think, "My method works, his is crazy bad."

Let's keep these thoughts in our own heads, and simply explain why we do what we do.

Even with vastly different approaches, there are some commonalities. None of us are here to convert people to our method - and I'm sure if all I wanted to do was chat to LTWT guys I could find a forum for it. The fact that we all come to an 'open' forum for the art must mean we want to talk to people who do train in different ways, no?
    KK stuff is bizarre, like he has a full blow cult approach. His demos are almost like monks sending guys bouncing away from secret forces. Almost .
    Last edited by k gledhill; 09-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Oh, another PB person who "spars", but has no evidence of that. Just like the rest of them. Ho-hum. Whatever.
    Do you have evidence of anything?

As there's no official moderating here, why don't we just moderate our own posts?

Why don't we all agree that tomorrow is Sensible Friday.
    Good post.

How to respond to anti wing chun trolling from the likes of laroux though?

welcome Neil

Hello Neil & welcome to the forum.

Can you please explain why you felt that your old method of chi sau "felt like it was built on sand".

Also Im assuming, through what you wrote, that you too were taught "feeling" and "sensitivity" in your prior VT lineage when playing chi sau. What has changed for you now? What are you drilling now in your chi sau? More angling and foot work?

Where do you see the method of "sensitivity" drilling fail?

Ive also noticed that pbwslvt chi sau looks different from what I'm used to seeing. No "wristing" as you guys call it, or palming of bridges. Is it fair to say that although you do not "palm" you control with your forearms. Maybe control is not the proper word here for I know that prolonged contact is a no no, but I hope you get my point ??

I'm trying to get a good understanding of pbvt and sadly I am unable to visit him personally to get first had experience and I'm finding it difficult to find any literature or information regarding his method so I would like to gain some information from you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei1 View Post
    Hello Neil & welcome to the forum.

Can you please explain why you felt that your old method of chi sau "felt like it was built on sand".

Also Im assuming, through what you wrote, that you too were taught "feeling" and "sensitivity" in your prior VT lineage when playing chi sau. What has changed for you now? What are you drilling now in your chi sau? More angling and foot work?

Where do you see the method of "sensitivity" drilling fail?

Ive also noticed that pbwslvt chi sau looks different from what I'm used to seeing. No "wristing" as you guys call it, or palming of bridges. Is it fair to say that although you do not "palm" you control with your forearms. Maybe control is not the proper word here for I know that prolonged contact is a no no, but I hope you get my point ??

I'm trying to get a good understanding of pbvt and sadly I am unable to visit him personally to get first had experience and I'm finding it difficult to find any literature or information regarding his method so I would like to gain some information from you guys
    Why did it feel like it was built on sand. Well basically my elbow position was to far out in the tan and fook positions so when force was exchanged I would use my wrists as the elbow was nowhere to be seen lol. Also I was using my upper body and didn't have awareness of using my whole body to issue force. Stance was to narrow and high.

The difference in Poon Sau is quite different. The way I used to do it the emphasis was contact at the wrists which had a consequence that your hands would go where your partners were as it was about sticking and controlling. Also maybe if your partner pushed too much you could sense this and redirect or perhaps use your partners wrong energy and do an attacking move. It was a platform for techniques. The trouble I found was that unless someone did a slow push and left their arm out there wasn't normally prolonged contact with someones arms in a sparring. You may get contact for a split second so your opportunity to feel is nigh on impossible. My sparring looked like some wierd hybrid version of kickboxing wrestling Tai Chi and looked nothing like wing chun. Arms flailing and chasing arms that were no longer there.

Poon Sau the way I do it now is a training exercise for developing the punch and structure through exchange force from the elbow.....I think lol.

KK stuff is bizarre, like he has a full blow cult approach. His demos are almost like monks sending guys bouncing away from secret forces. Almost .
    As I'm in my 'all warm and fuzzy' mode regarding the forum, all I will say regarding KK and his EWTO is that as time goes by, he and it moves ever further away from what LT teaches.

IMO, more and more the EWTO is about appealing to those who want to train in a... less combative way, let's say. Some people like it - so to each his own.

I leave my classes aching, sweaty and more often than not bruised - and I like it that way

Thank you Neil for responding.

A question about this statement:

The way I used to do it the emphasis was contact at the wrists which had a consequence that your hands would go where your partners were as it was about sticking and controlling
    Can this not be an issue of focused energy. What I mean by that is if you weren’t chasing hands and focused on attacking centre would it matter where the point of contact was?

As far as poon sau, you have also made a switch in thinking. How do you train now for developing the punch? Is it a change in mind set… same drills or completely new drills with new mind set?

Thanks again Neil