Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isolation Training

Here's some more Isolation Training examples from Robert Chu. These are used to help the beginner develop good structure, learn to control their balance and use their structure to generate power, and how to disrupt the opponent's structure and balance:

1. Medicine ball drill: two students stand in YJKYM facing each other and toss a 15 lb medicine ball back and forth using their structure to send (throw) and receive (catch) force (the ball) for a set of 30 reps each. Variations of stances and steps can also be done. The students have to keep their elbows in and aligned with the hips to use their structure to sink and absorb force as they catch the ball, and then expand and rise as they throw or send the ball.

2. Jut/Tok drill: This is the practice of the linking or intermediary movement from the dummy form. Stand in front of the dummy and apply Jut Sao to both arms, jerking the dummy forward and down as you sink your structure, then apply Tok Sao to both arms shoving the dummy back and up as you rise and expand your structure. Do this for 30 reps every day being sure to use the stance and structure and not just the arms.

3. Ngaat Yiu exercise: This one actually comes from Pan Nam Wing Chun via Eddie Chong. Two students stand in YJKYM facing each other while grasping each other at the elbow. Then they alternately try to off-balance each other by pushing or pulling in any direction. The first partner to step out of his stance is the loser! This is a fun exercise and is used as the preliminary training for Chi Gerk as well as application of throws, sweeps, kicks, and knees.

Again, the intent is to isolate, work on and develop attributes that would be much harder to develop by doing forms and Chi Sao alone.

Dave/Sihing73 is stop on in his posts on the past 2 pages. Now that is talking wing chun principle fighting vs. technique fighting! Great posts!!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Dave/Sihing73 is stop on in his posts on the past 2 pages. Now that is talking wing chun principle fighting vs. technique fighting! Great posts!!
    But did Keith understand ? ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    One of the things I teach is to move in a way where the opponent is within your power zone but you are outside of theirs. This requires them to move in order to be able to hit you but you are able to strike them without moving.

I think that anyone would need of accept the need to start with basics and build from there. Take any endeavor. Driving a car for example. One uses the basics to learn and practice but with experience one can deal with even unexpected circumstances on the road.
    This is sort of learned in our Laap sau drill, among other things. If you look at dbl arm chi sau, both participants are staying within their respective power zones, with laap drill you can get out of theirs but learn to stay within yours, as it is a freer drill in regards to movement and such, almost like a way for us to spar while staying within the VT frame/mechanic confinement. You see this lots in PB's videos, he's a master of staying out of your power zone but within his and switching it up to miss his..

J

"Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yes. Good example. Thanks Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Yes. I thought they were good posts. But did YOU understand? Because he said several things that contradict some of what you guys have been saying. And the bigger question....do you now understand what I meant by "Isolation Training?"

heh, honestly I'm not very interested in the personal pi55ing match that is going on between you guys that seems to bloat every thread lately. It's really getting old so I'm staying out of that one
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Has me questioning whether or not there is a thing called "Isolation Posting" in a forum, and whether any around here do that kind of thing...

Here's another example of some Isolation Training. This time from Jin Young of the Hawkins Cheung lineage. He is showing how to work on footwork and angling against a boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-GECHRm-BU

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Here's another example of some Isolation Training. This time from Jin Young of the Hawkins Cheung lineage. He is showing how to work on footwork and angling against a boxer.

Jin has had some input from a pb source recently too. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

We do some drills like this too.

We do isolate and drill things, but we stay away from any prescribed "if --> then" approach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
    we stay away from any prescribed "if --> then" approach.
    There is a general key that can open all locks in both the striking art and the grappling art.

In

- striking art, if you can retreat faster than your opponent's advance, none of your opponent's striking skills can work on you.
    - grappling art, if you lie down on the ground, none of your opponent's throwing skills can work on you.

Unfortunately, this general key no longer exist when the "clinching" occur. When your opponent gets you into a

- head lock,
    - reverse head lock,
    - under hook,
    - over hook,
    - bear hug,
    - arm wrap,

your solution will all be different.

- If you give me a "head lock" then I'll ...
    - If you give me an "under hook" then I'll ...
    - If you give me a "bear hug" then I'll ...
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There is a general key that can open all locks in both the striking art and the grappling art.

In

- striking art, if you can retreat faster than your opponent's advance, none of your opponent's striking skills can work on you.
    - grappling art, if you lie down on the ground, none of your opponent's throwing skills can work on you.

Unfortunately, this general key no longer exist when the "clinching" occur. When your opponent gets you into a

- head lock,
    - reverse head lock,
    - under hook,
    - over hook,
    - bear hug,
    - arm wrap,

your solution will all be different.

- If you give me a "head lock" then I'll ...
    - If you give me an "under hook" then I'll ...
    - If you give me a "bear hug" then I'll ...
    I agree that as range decreases and the closer you get to being tied up in clinch or near submission the amount of options go down proportionally as well to where need certain keys to unlock and resolve. And even at longer range there are certainly 'better' answers to various attacks, but out there at boxing/kickboxing range (which was what I was thinking of when typed the above) the variables become so much greater that that it's more principle based than pure 'if - then'. But sure if you've got a millisecond before someone sinks in a choke or locks you up there's a very short list of what you'd better do asap, and the list gets smaller and smaller. Great point.
    Last edited by Mutant; 10-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Jin has had some input from a pb source recently too. ; )
    Does that mean he has given up on Isolation Training and teaching "applications"?