Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shape or Action?

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT View Post

For sure. Maybe PB's skill is based on innate ability too. Who in his group can match his skills?
    Innate ability? I think so. For a guy to do what he has done with the obstacles that have been put in front of him it doesn't fall short of impressive.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Innate ability? I think so. For a guy to do what he has done with the obstacles that have been put in front of him it doesn't fall short of impressive.
    Indeed. I get the impression he has a "never say never" attitude.

But what I was meaning is that he must have some long-term students, people who have been with him since he started teaching in the 80s.

If we say the system itself can help people get great results, are there long-termers from PB who can live with him during Chi Sau, Sparring, etc?

In most of the clips of him, he is way above the skill level of those he is teaching. Are there any clips available of him working with his more senior people?
    Last edited by BPWT; 10-01-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

Here they are just doing some light sparring, a normal work out. They aren't fighting. But notice how Alan tries to maintain contact (a bridge) with his opponent by keeping a hand on him to help control the opponent's balance. He's not throwing a few punches, stepping back to assay his work, and then closing to throw some more punches like a boxer might. This is what I was talking about before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8pOjrtXXU

If it were just action without adhering to sound WC geometric principles (or i suppose you could say 'shape' but that sounds so static) then it would be ineffective slop, but if it were just a shape without action powering it, would be dead. Needs both those elements plus the timing, energy and correct utility...

If you were analyze how you run and take a high speed snap shot of the 'shape' that you're foot and leg make at various points, and work to optimize your running 'form' that might be analogous looking at shapes as example in trying to teach someone wc. Most ppl can run and think they're a decent runner if they can run say a 10k race, but there's a huge difference between your average jogger and elite runners, not just due to conditioning but also due to technique. Same's probably true with Wing Chun.

If too static and robotic its missing the point, but sometimes you do need points of reference to work with just to illustrate the dynamic geometry. Notice that the more complex arm shapes in wc it's common that peeps get caught in holding the position instead of smoking thru into a strike or another transition? Maybe because too much emphasis on the shape and inadvertently transferred as more of a static shape-holding concept which is a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
    If you were analyze how you run and take a high speed snap shot of the 'shape' that you're foot and leg make at various points, and work to optimize your running 'form' that might be analogous looking at shapes as example in trying to teach someone wc. Most ppl can run and think they're a decent runner if they can run say a 10k race, but there's a huge difference between your average jogger and elite runners, not just due to conditioning but also due to technique. Same's probably true with Wing Chun.
    Yeah. Good analogy!

Any particular reason why my comments were mederated and taken off?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil-Y View Post
    I think Dave has been making an active attempt to head off some of the nastiness that has taken place on threads recently. He has deleted some of my posts as well, which is OK because it was a good reminder to me not to be reactive to taunts and jabs. So if your posts seemed somewhat insulting or disrespectful that may be why they got deleted. So try re-posting the same thing, but in a more respectful tone.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think Dave has been making an active attempt to head off some of the nastiness that has taken place on threads recently. He has deleted some of my posts as well, which is OK because it was a good reminder to me not to be reactive to taunts and jabs. So if your posts seemed somewhat insulting or disrespectful that may be why they got deleted. So try re-posting the same thing, but in a more respectful tone.
    Ok thanks. It's wasn't insulting or disrespectful at all. I merely highlighted my personal experiences of the changes between my previous lineage and my current one.

Ok thanks. It's wasn't insulting or disrespectful at all. I merely highlighted my personal experiences of the changes between my previous lineage and my current one.
    Just post it again, beginning with "In my humble opinion, and I say this with no desire to offend anyone..."

No mocking, tongue-in-cheek signature here... move on.

I wouldn't worry about it Neil. There was nothing in your posts that was derogatory in any way. They probably just didn't like the fact that your idea on Wing Chun has changed and what you USED to think is what they STILL think.

I think it's bang out of order that some posts that contain some good information get deleted why others with poor ideas on Wing Chun are allowed to delete things or allow theirs to remain.

This one will probably be in the bin as well. C***s!

Wong Shun Leung.

I think it's bang out of order that some posts that contain some good information get deleted why others with poor ideas on Wing Chun are allowed to delete things or allow theirs to remain.
    Its a crime Garham, a crime....... mine get deleted all the time and are full of useful information!!

Chi Kiu? "sticking bridges" ?
    Actually, HFY's chi sau platform includes kiu sau and chi kiu. This is quite different than the Yip Man approach.

Apparently this is a new term for you, which also means PB doesn't teach it.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Its a crime Garham, a crime....... mine get deleted all the time and are full of useful information!!
    Yeah I have a lot deleted that contain secrets from Yip Man himself!

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Actually, HFY's chi sau platform includes kiu sau and chi kiu. This is quite different than the Yip Man approach.

Apparently this is a new term for you, which also means PB doesn't teach it.
    Well if its different from the Yip Man approach then why has Leung Ting got it in his system. After all Leung Ting claims to have been a closed door student of Yip Man (which is complete nonsense BTW)

If its not in the Yip Man approach it probably means its useless.

Leung Ting is probably just making more rubbish up and is watching the $ roll in!

Wong Shun Leung.

If its not in the Yip Man approach it probably means its useless.
    Yip Man was awesome but there's some other great stuff outside the scope of his approach.